Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2018, 10:31 AM   #1

RVI Brake 3 and Wrangler JL

Is anyone running the RVI Brake 3 on their JLU? We just purchased the RVI Brake 3 and are setting our JLUR up for flat tow. To be totally non-invasive, we plan to us a set of wireless trailer lights mounted on the roof when towing. This will remove the ability to run a charge line.

Question is, are any of you running the RVI Brake 3 and not running a charge line? Any issues with the battery being drained?

Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2018, 10:45 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
I ran the Rvi 2 with two different JK's for 5 years. I never had a charge line to the battery and there was plenty of power after 3 days running to start the JK's. The Rvi drew on the battery while traveling ( I had to access the inside of the center concul for 12v power) but always was fine for the start up. By the way I now use the wireless towmate for lights when towing the Tahoe. It magnetically sticks on the roof ( I put a couple of circles of stick on clear plastic to protect the roof) I don't know if there is a place to stick the magnetics on a JKL. I used a diode light system when towing the JK which used the same lights. hope this helps. mark
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCJones View Post
I ran the Rvi 2 with two different JK's for 5 years. I never had a charge line to the battery and there was plenty of power after 3 days running to start the JK's. The Rvi drew on the battery while traveling ( I had to access the inside of the center concul for 12v power) but always was fine for the start up. By the way I now use the wireless towmate for lights when towing the Tahoe. It magnetically sticks on the roof ( I put a couple of circles of stick on clear plastic to protect the roof) I don't know if there is a place to stick the magnetics on a JKL. I used a diode light system when towing the JK which used the same lights. hope this helps. mark
Mark, I received the unit this afternoon. When I placed the unit on the floorboard, there isn't much room to leave space between the back of the floorboard when hooking up the claw. Did you experience this in the JK? Also, all I got was a beeping noise when I powered the unit up. Any idea why it isn't giving me the voice prompts?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:59 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
You are right, there was not a lot of room to get that claw attached - but there is a way to make it a little easier. Be sure the arm is fully retracted, push up on the bottom of the claw to raise the top "hooks" up all the way and raise the arm/claw up around the bottom of the brake pedal. Once the bottom of the claw is placed rotate the hooks over the top. The model 3 must be way more sophisticated then the 2 because my next step is to provide power and push the red button three times (waiting in between) so the push on the pedal 3 times and orient its length and set itself up. Hope this helps, it is a model RVi2 so it may be a tad different than yours. mark
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:49 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Call RVI if you’re not getting voice prompts, and pay attention to the beeping as it could be an error code.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:18 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
I don't know what the current draw for an RVI is, because I use the Blue Ox Patriot.

We have a JL and run an extension from the rear 12v power outlet to the front (this one always has power to it). I've been towing it since last April, and never had a problem with power drain. Starts up right away.

=
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:44 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
Is anyone running the RVI Brake 3 on their JLU? We just purchased the RVI Brake 3 and are setting our JLUR up for flat tow. To be totally non-invasive, we plan to us a set of wireless trailer lights mounted on the roof when towing. This will remove the ability to run a charge line.

Question is, are any of you running the RVI Brake 3 and not running a charge line? Any issues with the battery being drained?

Thanks in advance.
I have been using the RVI 2 and the Towmate Light Bar on 2 different Jeep GC and never had a battery problem...Have stayed hooked up and drove for 4 straight days without a problem.....Now I did turn the light bar off each night
It can be my imagination,but since using the light bar ,it seems in traffic,more people let us merge
C
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster52 View Post
I have been using the RVI 2 and the Towmate Light Bar on 2 different Jeep GC and never had a battery problem...Have stayed hooked up and drove for 4 straight days without a problem.....Now I did turn the light bar off each night
It can be my imagination,but since using the light bar ,it seems in traffic,more people let us merge
C
Chuck,

Do you have any pictures of the light bar set up that you use?

Thanks in advance.
HamboneTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:17 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
Chuck,

Do you have any pictures of the light bar set up that you use?

Thanks in advance.
None but search on line for Tow Mate Light bars....Will show you it
Ours cost in the $300. Range.....long cord plugs in the back of Jeep inside and it has a trailer plug ..that plugs into motor home that is wireless
I was going to run a fused wire off of battery (with cigarette lighter plug)to the back but Cherokee had one in luggage area
Takes all of a few minutes to set up..
Hope this helps...C
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
I don't know what the current draw for an RVI is, because I use the Blue Ox Patriot.

We have a JL and run an extension from the rear 12v power outlet to the front (this one always has power to it). I've been towing it since last April, and never had a problem with power drain. Starts up right away.

=
Cool tech has a great solution to make the front power outlet live all the time. $20 hooks up in 2 min in fuse box. Did you use the phantom bracket in JL? Seems unneeded in mine. Any pics of it?
Mike H 2002 Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake