Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-02-2022, 04:50 PM   #1

RVi Brake alternative

Hello - Does anyone know or use an alternative to the RVi Brake system? We tow a Jeep Wrangler behind a 34' class A motorhome. We have been using the RVi Brake product and have had ongoing problems with it. We have already gone through three tablets, a command center, the provided power cords, a brake pedal clamp, and the tow vehicle brake pedal foot clamp is difficult to maneuver onto the pedal. While their customer service is quite good, I am frustrated with this product. We certainly understand the need to have a braking system on our tow vehicle. I would love to hear if there is another option out there.

Best,
Leslie
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2022, 05:21 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
You might look at the M&G air system or the Air Force One since you have a RED. I had a RVI brake when we had our gas rig but changed to the M&G when we got air brakes. It's just an air line hookup and breakaway connect and go once it's installed. If you have a JK or older, the original M&G will work but if you have a JL it will require their 2.0 model which is similar to the AF1.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 06:31 PM   #3

Wow. Been using ours (purchased used!) for 3 years full-time, and no issues like you seem to be having. Yes the tablet has horrible battery life, so I just keep it powered by the cord while driving.

The hub usually requires me to push the reset button every time I power it up for drive day, it just takes a toothpick and 5 seconds.

No issues with the clamp in the brake pedal.

I did send it back to the factory for a firmware update so I could use the wireless breakaway adapter (which has been great by the way!)
pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 06:54 PM   #4

I hate mine too. This summer we traveled 16 states and I took it out around state #5 and had nothing. Thats how bad it was!

Our biggest complaint is that so many people tow Jeeps like we do, and it is so long it barely fits between the brake pedal and the seat. The unit needs to be made at least 3 inches shorter. We are always having alerts at the tablet about "brake pedal engaged" or something like that... and I have to pull over and check it. It always looks fine... exactly like it should, so I disconnect it and reset everything and after several miles it happens again.

Then there's the TPMS. First... the price is just ridiculous, and you have to buy new ones every 1.5 to 2 years. We had 12... 8 on the coach and 4 on the Jeep. They would be constantly dropping off the tablet system. At no point in my 8 week trip, did I ever have more than 9 out of 12 sensors working. Also after a while I had 2 completely fail. One sensor blew completely in half, luckily I was in a RV park when it happened.

Lastly, I paid and had the "Towed battery charger" installed ..... it also didn't work all summer.

SO disappointed.... Thinking of going back to the newest Blue Ox Patriot system, we used to have one and it never failed once.
2019 Fleetwood *SOLD*
AZ RV'r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 06:26 AM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Wow, how old is it?
We got RVibrake3 a year ago and like the ease of setup and use. The only complaint I have is the tablet is insanely huge. Half that size would have been plenty big.
We don't use any other features like TPMS with that. We have separate systems for those.
Old 10-03-2022, 06:49 AM   #6

We've been using the same RVIBrake for 4 years. A couple years ago I quit using the tablet... what a piece of junk. Other than that, I have no issues with it.
Old 10-03-2022, 06:57 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lslerea View Post
Hello - Does anyone know or use an alternative to the RVi Brake system? We tow a Jeep Wrangler behind a 34' class A motorhome. We have been using the RVi Brake product and have had ongoing problems with it. We have already gone through three tablets, a command center, the provided power cords, a brake pedal clamp, and the tow vehicle brake pedal foot clamp is difficult to maneuver onto the pedal. While their customer service is quite good, I am frustrated with this product. We certainly understand the need to have a braking system on our tow vehicle. I would love to hear if there is another option out there.

Best,
Leslie

There are many options out there. What do you want to accomplish? Are you looking for something that you can take in and out, something that stays in and you don't need to install and remove? Something air activated? We use the ReadyBrute and haven't had a problem with it. There are many threads about how inexpensive it is and how easy it is to install use and they are generally spot on. There are more expensive and complicated systems out there that are just as easy to use and some have features that we've never seen a need for with our Jeep.
Old 10-04-2022, 12:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenolken View Post
We've been using the same RVIBrake for 4 years. A couple years ago I quit using the tablet... what a piece of junk. Other than that, I have no issues with it.
ditto
deddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 09:19 AM   #9

Thank you all for the rapid responses. We will look into the various options suggested. Quick question on the ReadyBrute/ReadyBrake option - will the ReadyBrake work with the Blue Ox tow bar?
Old 10-04-2022, 09:40 AM   #10

RVI3

Have used one for 5 years and no major issues like you. I have a separate TPMS . A friend of mine used the ready brute and the cable hung up and burnt up all the brakes, he went to the rvi.
Good luck in what ever direction you go.
jkroboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 11:27 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lslerea View Post
Thank you all for the rapid responses. We will look into the various options suggested. Quick question on the ReadyBrute/ReadyBrake option - will the ReadyBrake work with the Blue Ox tow bar?

Yes it will - it is placed between the Rv's hitch receiver and the tow bar - it's basically an extension with the braking system built in to it, so you insert it into the RV's receiver, then insert the tow bar into the Ready Brake, and hook up the brake cable. The hardest part of the installation is running the cable from the front of your toad in to the toad's brake pedal, but you only do that once, when you initially install the system.
Old 10-04-2022, 11:32 AM   #12

I use the Blue Ox Patriot 3
Pulled my 2022 Wrangler about 10,000+ miles
Works well, I like being able to set it to only engage with a hard brake.
Very adjustable easy install.
Needs a hot 12 volt plug installed since the dash 12 volt dies when the Jeep is off.
Pretty easy install. Also added a charge line. Again, easy install.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 11:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer1 View Post
Wow, how old is it?
We got RVibrake3 a year ago and like the ease of setup and use. The only complaint I have is the tablet is insanely huge. Half that size would have been plenty big.
We don't use any other features like TPMS with that. We have separate systems for those.
I have had mine for a year without any issues. I do NOT use the tablet or hub and only have the RVI brake setup to activate in case of a breakaway. I also use the batter charger and wireless breakaway adapter. It does what I want it to do.

I have a 2021 Wrangler Unlimited, and have absolutely no issues with the clamp and brake pedal interface. Works easy on and off. There is not a lot of floor room and I do set the rear of the brake unit up on the top of the front mat hump so that I don't get the brake pedal depressed messages. Seems ok to me. I don't even notice the Jeep is back there.
Mark3101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 02:51 PM   #14

We have been using our RViBrake 3 for close to 4 years now with no problems other than that stupid tablet. I just can't understand why they went with such a tech heavy device and then completely bungled the implementation. They would have been much better off just supplying an app that runs on off the shelf devices (tablets, phones, etc). I would never use their TPMS. Who the h___ wants to return a product just because the battery died?
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake