Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2011, 04:59 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They are in stock and available at $995 complete at the Escapade in Gillette, WY.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2011, 12:15 PM   #16

Smile patriot braking system by Blue OX

Had an issue with my first Patriot and they totally replaced it. New one came and we found the problem, probably was with the first one too. Happened to be the remote plugged into the dash of our motorhome would work itself out and begin causing all sorts of error messages.
With the first one we were in AZ in the winter and we called while one the road and they worked with us with the first one going through all sorts of possible ways the problem could be occurring. None of us figured out the problem all along MAY have been the cigar lighter either not holding the power plug to the remote or the cigar lighter not making a good connection. I had problems with the second unit Blue Ox sent out but began working with it while parked and tracked it down to the cigar lighter and pulled it out of the dash and reworked it so it was for sure good power and jiggled the plug as if we were on the road and sure enough I could make the problem come back as the plug worked its way out. Not sure why it works its way out but it does. It would not come out very far, just enough to get the error codes going. Sort of unnerving going down the road but so happy with the way we were treated by Blue Ox. Believe they went way out of the way to help keep us safe. One other item. I tow a 99 Mercury Mountaineer and cut a board to fit behind the Patriot and in front of the seat. I take out my rubber mat leaving only the carpet for the Patriot to slide on. Works best for me without the feet and pushing on the board. Blue Ox does have a board type product they would be happy to sell and send but the board seems to do the job just fine. I store everything in the original box and reinforced the box so I have handles to carry in for storage. Great product and so far an outstanding company for us to work with.
03AllegroBay, 99 Mercury Mountaineer
Winter @ TombstoneTerritories RV Park AZ
winhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Joe and Bonnie,
How is the RVI Brake system? You've certainly had some experience with it by now. I'll at Quartzite this week and they got a deal for $995.
Is yours still working satisfactorily?
Old 01-26-2012, 07:05 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
I am in Florida now and finally had no issues on our way .
with the patriot system. But I don,t trust their breakaway so I plug the short cord in
to the unit and it seems to cut error mesg's and also I installed a live 12volt source
to fix the low battery error code , so everything seems to be running well , oh and i also had to add a board . This was on the second unit.
Sure was a lot of issues for the Price.
Don
Old 01-27-2012, 06:38 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought an RVI Brake system and had several problems with it and returned it under their money back guaranty.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:58 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayland View Post
Joe and Bonnie,
How is the RVI Brake system? You've certainly had some experience with it by now. I'll at Quartzite this week and they got a deal for $995.
Is yours still working satisfactorily?
I would like to hear more also, getting ready to pull the trigger on buying one.
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:59 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sage View Post
I bought an RVI Brake system and had several problems with it and returned it under their money back guaranty.
Can you elaborate on what kind of issues you had that required a return? I have heard nothing but good things so far other than the availability when they first came out last year. I am getting ready to purchase one in the next few days.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:33 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

RVLedbulbs.com now carries the RVIBrake for $995. I've been looking at it but still in the thinking stage.

What sort of problems have you had?

http://www.rvledbulbs.com/category-s/54.htm
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:48 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There were some software issues that reportedly have been resolved as well as some other things. Send me a PM if you want more details.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:13 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
We towed our Saturn Aura from Ohio to Texas in December. No problems with the RVi brake as far as we could tell. Seemed to work well.
The only problem we encountered occurred BEFORE we travelled. The remote controller wouldn't receive signals from the brake unit. Kept reporting "communications lost". Solved the problem by attaching an extended antenna provided by the RVi brake manufacturer and hanging it from the rear view mirror.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:09 AM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was told by a RV tech at the Richmond show yesterday that the RVI product is from the original inventor of the Brake Buddy. Apparently he sold the company and had a 5 year non-compete that has since expired.

It looked pretty neat, compact and it fit well into the floor pan of my Jeep Liberty. Worked from the remote panel. I like the looks of it.

If the price is right, it may be replacing the JUNK Blue Ox Apollo that I wasted more than a grand on.

j
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:23 AM   #26

Purchased the rvi brake last week and I am really impressed with it. It is amazing how small and compact it is and fits the jeep wrangler very well. Installation and setup couldn't be easier and system is controlled wirelessly from the rv. Price paid $995 for entire system, brake, wireless monitor and break away switch. System comes with a full 3 year warranty as well.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Almost a year has passed. Would like to hear reports from current owners of this Danko system.

I've installed my SMI box (2005 purchase) on two cars. It's REAL work. My toad LeSabre now traded for a Lucerne....and I just don't want to install the SMI one more time!!
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RVI brake system

Checkout this thread http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/rvi-b...em-117298.html for some reports its where I posted about my last trip
Rmblaster is offline   Reply With Quote