Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2021, 05:30 AM   #1

RVI Braking System Comparable to Demco Stay and Play

Following up on my other thread about finding an installer. I found an installer that was highly recommended by Tiffin owners and several others. He is located close to Red Bay, AL, where the Tiffin class A's are made, hence the Tiffin owner's replies. He must be good because the earliest appointment was 27 Jul.

He recommends the Demco Stay and Play or an RVI model that he says is similar to the Stay and Play. Install and forget it. He says the RVI is a little cheaper and easier to install. When looking at the RVI web page I do not see anything equivalent to the Demco. Before I call him back, he is a busy man and I have to leave a voice message, anyone here familiar with the RVI system I am talking about?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2021, 05:50 AM   #2

Perhaps he meant Roadmaster Invisibrake, as that is the closest competitor tot eh Stay and Play that I know of.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 06:00 AM   #3

Ah, you might be right. I might have misunderstood him since I am familiar with RVI brake products and just thought that is what he said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Perhaps he meant Roadmaster Invisibrake, as that is the closest competitor tot eh Stay and Play that I know of.
Old 05-01-2021, 06:25 AM   #4

I did find this link but most of the links do not work correctly. It appears to be available to dealers only.

https://rvibrake.com/products/rvibra...38059771068591
Old 05-01-2021, 09:31 AM   #5

I couldn't figure out how the Shadow works. Maybe it's a controller for a future push-pedal operator.
Old 05-01-2021, 10:02 AM   #6

We have the Demco and it works great, but the Roadmaster is probably just as good.
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 12:22 PM   #7

Same here and it is not shown on their regular site under products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
I couldn't figure out how the Shadow works. Maybe it's a controller for a future push-pedal operator.
Old 05-01-2021, 12:29 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Roadmaster Invisi Brake

Just purchased one from E trailer. Will install my self after talking with e trailer and the availability of tech support confident on the installation. Also have them available to call. They can be found cheaper though.
Phillieagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 04:51 PM   #9
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Perhaps he meant Roadmaster Invisibrake, as that is the closest competitor to the Stay and Play that I know of.
One difference is the Stay-IN-Play DUO is proportional while the InvisiBrake is progressive.

"Proportional" applies toad brakes in relation to how hard the motorhome is braking. In reality they can never perfectly match but you get the idea.

"Progressive" applies an increasing amount of braking as a function of time with no regard for how the motorhome is actually braking, just that it is.

From the InvisiBrake manual:

Extended braking protection
To protect the towed vehicle’s brakes, InvisiBrake will automatically release braking pressure after an extended period (approximately 15 seconds) of continuous braking — for example, someone who constantly drives with their foot on the brakes.

The InvisiBrake requires a manual adjustment of the pressure and test drives to determine whether the braking is too little, just right, or too much.

The Stay-IN-Play DUO uses an accelerometer to adjust the braking pressure. There is an initial adjustment to assure the brakes are not coming on too early and then it's automatic from then on.

In practice, users seem to love both systems.

Ray
Old 05-01-2021, 05:14 PM   #10

Thanks Ray. I was not tracking the progressive vs proportional braking. My only experience was with my fifth wheel. It used proportional braking since the voltage going to the brake magnets varied based on how hard the truck brake pedal was pressed. It did not rely on an accelerometer which I believe the Stay-in-Play and many other systems use.

Maybe others will chime in as I think progressive vs proportional is a significant difference. Not saying one is better than the other just different. I still have plenty of time to choose either one.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
One difference is the Stay-IN-Play DUO is proportional while the InvisiBrake is progressive.

"Proportional" applies toad brakes in relation to how hard the motorhome is braking. In reality they can never perfectly match but you get the idea.

"Progressive" applies an increasing amount of braking as a function of time with no regard for how the motorhome is actually braking, just that it is.

From the InvisiBrake manual:

Extended braking protection
To protect the towed vehicle’s brakes, InvisiBrake will automatically release braking pressure after an extended period (approximately 15 seconds) of continuous braking — for example, someone who constantly drives with their foot on the brakes.

The InvisiBrake requires a manual adjustment of the pressure and test drives to determine whether the braking is too little, just right, or too much.

The Stay-IN-Play DUO uses an accelerometer to adjust the braking pressure. There is an initial adjustment to assure the brakes are not coming on too early and then it's automatic from then on.

In practice, users seem to love both systems.

Ray
Old 05-01-2021, 06:58 PM   #11
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfarer2021 View Post
Maybe others will chime in as I think progressive vs proportional is a significant difference. Not saying one is better than the other just different. I still have plenty of time to choose either one.
I'd suggest watching an install video from Etrailer for both types. An installer I talked to called the InvisiBrake "a very invasive installation". It did seem more complicated with the pully and the cable routing.

I did the Stay-IN-Play DUO on my Equinox and while it certainly is not a five minute job, it's still invisible unless you bend down and look for it.

As I said, I have never read someone saying they intensely disliked either one. As far as braking efficiency, that can only be determined by measuring the stopping distance with controlled testing. I'd guess either one is good enough and far better than nothing.

Ray
Old 05-03-2021, 08:32 AM   #12

I have the Demco Duo Play system and it works very well. I like that the toad really only applies brakes in hard brake applications when needed. So far have had it for 6 months and no issues very pleased with installation and ease of use.
Old 05-04-2021, 10:30 AM   #13

Thanks but why wouldn't you want the toward brakes too apply with the RV brakes? My experience is with 5th wheel trailers and I wanted the brakes too apply whenever I braked in the dually. Seems like less wear and tear on the motorhome. In my case I'm tossing with a small class C vs a large Class A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwjsim2003 View Post
I have the Demco Duo Play system and it works very well. I like that the toad really only applies brakes in hard brake applications when needed. So far have had it for 6 months and no issues very pleased with installation and ease of use.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:59 AM   #14

You can adjust to the Duo play gain like you would a Trailer. I do not want my Toad stopping the MH so I back off the gain little and use toad brakes less.