RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:43 AM   #127

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
We just finished our first trip with the RVI3. So easy to use and set up, my wife sets it up while I hook up the tow bar and were ready to go. Takes about 60 sec. Lightweight and portable, wouldn't use anything else.
Bojets is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2018, 08:24 PM   #128

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by USTrekker View Post
Denny,
I've not done any determined testing on the lighter but I do recall a specific thread where someone did discover that their light socket in the c-max did not always have power when the car is off.

The c-max electrical system is obviously very complex - even when off it responds to a lot of different things and may make choices about what things receive power at what times.

Of course there may be differences between models and years - you never know.

The problem is if the rvibrake looses power, even momentarily, it will reset and you no longer have braking.

Most folks I've heard from have run a dedicated line from the front battery to power the rvibrake. I took the other path and use the external powerpack.

@rmblaster - this confirms what I've heard from others and my own experience. The interesting thing is there are others (perhaps all just the hybrid model) that have never had this issue, leaving the fuse in.

It is a simple thing though to pull one fuse or wire a switch so I'll certainly do that. My brake lockup was real.
I ran a dedicated line from the battery in the hatch area last night. I was having a hard time finding a place to run the wire from the front through the firewall so I did this one from the back. However, I'm going to need to keep searching so I can find a place to get my taillight wiring and breakaway wire through. I did plug in a garmin I have overnight and it was still on this morn, so it's on all the time.
dennys67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 09:44 AM   #129

lithium battery you purchased

Quote:
Originally Posted by USTrekker View Post
Here is the link to the powerpack I bought on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note that while it has an AC inverter it's not a pure sine wave output so you have to be careful what you hook up to that. Since I got it for the DC out, that didn't matter. I needed at least 8amps of DC for the rvibrake3 and this claims to have 15amps peak. It did run the rvi compressor without a problem.

One day of towing barely put a dent in the charge. I have to say I try to be very easy on the brakes and the rvi rarely comes on. But it's good to know it's there (once I get my fuse issue finally solved).

If you so kindly can provide your model number or even a picture of your power pack it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gefann
gaffanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:52 AM   #130

Rather than use the car power on the C-Max, I bought a JNC 770 and laid it on the floor of the passenger compartment and plug the RViBrake3 into that.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:28 PM   #131

Workhorse Chassis Owner
C-Max battery

I'm currently shopping for a C-Max to tow behind my Bounder.

I would be reluctant to connect the RVIbrake to the 12V battery in the C-Max without a charge line from the coach. The C-Max starting battery is quite under powered and it won't start the car when it's down below a certain level.

Several of the C-Max cars I've looked at on dealer lots needed a jump to start, so you could be unable to start the car after a long day of using the braking system if there's no charge line.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:42 AM   #132

Fleetwood Owners Club
c-max and RVI

@bobray,
I've never had 12V battery issues with my c-max so the issue may not be across the board.

But, I agree, either run a charge line or use an external battery pack. The latter option has worked fine for me. A 155Wh lithium pack runs the rvibrake for a full day of towing without issues.

The only thing I did was replace the cigarette lighter adapter with a SAE connection to the battery pack - much more reliable.

I'd also reiterate that you need to pull the vacuum pump fuse before towing. Some people say they tow fine without doing that but many, myself included, found the pump can come on even when the car is off and cause the c-max brakes to lock up when the rvibrake engages.

Nothing more fun than hearing the scream of brakes behind you while driving in heavy traffic... ;>)
USTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote