Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2023, 07:40 AM   #1

Rvi3 problem

Brand new system installed by Camping World. Have a 2023 Equinox as a toad. First day out the battery was dead. Had to have a new battery installed. Next day the battery was dead again. So far no one can answer why or what to do. Any help appreciated
Unhappys is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2023, 07:47 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
You should give more detail. Since you had it "installed", should we assume it involves the RVibrake Shadow and not the RVibrake 3? Did you get the Towed Battery Charger+? Did you get the Command Center Hub (the TBC+ and hub would have alerted you to the battery going dead)?
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 08:14 AM   #3

I have a 2020 equinox. Could not make the RVI battery charger work. It took wiring a charge line directly to the Equinox Battery. I went through the 7 pin connector on the Allegro Bus to the 6 pin connector on the equinox. Be sure the cable you buy from the RV to the Equinox has at least #12 wire for both the +12V and the Ground. Run a #10 or #12 ground cable from the 6 pin connector to the ground point on the car. Run a #10 or # 12 wire from the 6 pin connector to the +12 battery terminal through a 20 amp inline fuse located close to the battery. It turns out the Equinox draws between 7-8 amps in tow mode. I could never make the RVI TBC work at those numbers. RVI, I believe, has stated issues with the Equinox and recommends pulling a fuse to the rear wiper. I tried this and it was of no help. Direct charge line seems to work ok.
Rodzent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 08:18 AM   #4

Also, I do have the RVI3 brake. It is wired directly to the Equinox batter terminated with a lighter plug under the dash. Be sure if you stop to run the car, you reconnect the RVI brake and push the button 3 times. This releases the vacuum in the brake system so that if RVI activates the brake it won’t have power assist and lock up your wheels when you brake. It is best to unplug the RVI 3 each time you start the car to make sure you get it reset correctly.
Old 05-26-2023, 08:31 AM   #5
Community Moderator

I have a 2021 Chevy Equinox with a permanently-installed RVi Towed Battery Charger and have towed for 6 hours on many occasions without the battery going dead.
Old 05-26-2023, 09:10 AM   #6

The coiled cable I am using is Bargman 54006-044 from amazon. It has #10 wire for the ground and +12 paths. Most other similar cables have smaller wire.
Old 05-26-2023, 09:13 AM   #7

Camp CA,
What typical readings to you get on the tablet for batter voltage and charge. Mine top reading (for Toad battery) used to start at about 12.4 but would drop to under 11 in about 3 hours.
Old 05-26-2023, 09:14 AM   #8

I meant to about 11. Never got to 10.x.

Tags
problem