Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-27-2021, 02:27 PM   #1

Safety Cables Breaking

Twice now I have had a safety cable 12 inch extender cable to break. Iím using Demco commander tow bars. There is plenty of slack for turns canít figure out what is causing them to break.
Thank you
Jayco Class c
Tow car 2018 Ford Focus
rvdogs2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2021, 03:42 PM   #2

Hanging too low and maybe catching on something?
ROUGHRIDER3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 04:42 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
If a safety cable is breaking and it isn't obvious what caused it I would be concerned about those cables doing their job if the toad comes loose.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 04:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdracr39 View Post
If a safety cable is breaking and it isn't obvious what caused it I would be concerned about those cables doing their job if the toad comes loose.
x2

Dave
Old 02-27-2021, 08:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdracr39 View Post
Exactly.

Are they dragging on the road and wearing through?
ageishecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:12 PM   #6

Constant flexing at a specific spot can cause that even if it's not too tight, just bending over or under something.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:00 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Are these the short ones that connect from the frame to the base plate, or are you using them as an extension to a set that is too short. It would take a LOT of pressure to break one of those cables, so there must be something within the vicinity of the cable that would indicate what's going on and breaking it.

Maybe look at buying the appropriate length cable and not use the extension, unless it's that shorty from the frame to base plate.

I have a10K tow bar and tow a 6K truck. I could have bought 6K, 8K or 10K cables. I went with the 10K.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 01:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Are these the short ones that connect from the frame to the base plate, or are you using them as an extension to a set that is too short. It would take a LOT of pressure to break one of those cables, so there must be something within the vicinity of the cable that would indicate what's going on and breaking it.

Maybe look at buying the appropriate length cable and not use the extension, unless it's that shorty from the frame to base plate.

I have a10K tow bar and tow a 6K truck. I could have bought 6K, 8K or 10K cables. I went with the 10K.
EXACTLY!!!!!!
Don hit the nail on the head on that one. Those, or ANY safety cable doesn't just break, over and over, for no reason. You're (the OP, not Don) not calculating something correctly. And, also, sometimes but, not often, as a coach and toad go through a dip, there MAY be a need for a slight additional length for that dip.

The length of each cable MUST allow for full turns, right to left and vice versa AND, make darn sure they're not catching on anything during those turns. Depending on certain conditions, length of a cable can increase dramatically in a turn. That total intended length, is what's needed for a correct calculated length, not the one when the coach and toad are dead straight, one behind the other.

Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 01:33 PM   #9

All good advice given.

Can you post a picture of your set-up? That may show something to others that you are not catching.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 01:51 PM   #10
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Yeah, we definitely need a photo of how you're set up. I'm kind of thinking that something has got to be pinching the cable as turns are made. But I'm curious as to why you're using an extension and how you're attaching this extension. And is the cable itself being cut through or is it the attachment hardware that's breaking off?

And it's not the 12" cable that is attached to the baseplate, is it? ...shown below. There's no tension on that cable and it's not moving as turns are made so I can't believe that's the one that's breaking

etrailer image
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	etrailer.png
Views:	10
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	319630  
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 03:28 PM   #11

Still watching that as we are traveling but don’t appear to be so far, thanks
Old 02-28-2021, 03:31 PM   #12

Right we are ordering a longer heavy duty with no extensions thinking that will work better. Thanks for your help
Old 02-28-2021, 03:34 PM   #13

Doing away with the extensions for future trips. Also watching about rubbing on pressure points. Thank you for your help
Old 02-28-2021, 03:38 PM   #14

Agree buying new longer heavy duty as soon as possible. Thank you so much for you comment very helpful.

Tags
cable, safety