Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #15

When you go looking, I would look for a 2011 or newer with the new 3.6 engine. I cannot believe the driveability difference between that engine and my 3.8. Enjoy the search.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich and Cork View Post
When you go looking, I would look for a 2011 or newer with the new 3.6 engine. I cannot believe the driveability difference between that engine and my 3.8. Enjoy the search.
I was wondering about that. Is 2011 when they started putting the 3.6 PentaStar engine in them. Do all 2011's have the 3.6 PentaStar or was that a transition year (some have it, some don't)?

I've been limiting my search to 2012's and newer.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:02 PM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
We used to tow a Sahara and liked it very much. Recently we exchanged it to a Jeep Liberty, 4-wheel drive V6 automatic. It is almost everything the Sahara was, with the additions of comfort, quietness, ease of entry and exit, plus I can tow up to 5000 lbs with it, seat 5 comfortably, and still have plenty of room for folding bikes, grill, etc., in the back.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
I was wondering about that. Is 2011 when they started putting the 3.6 PentaStar engine in them. Do all 2011's have the 3.6 PentaStar or was that a transition year (some have it, some don't)?

I've been limiting my search to 2012's and newer.
My bad....typo. The 3.6 came out in 2012.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure of each persons needs...
but having had upwards of 8 jeeps in the past I was excited when my bro in law traded his funky lil honda crv and got a good looking 4 door unlimited with every option for a toad behind their dp....

thought we'd be able to go four wheeling - but alas that thing was SO uncomfortable just around town compared to what I recall... that I always suggested going in my 4 door truck !

very little leg room, cramped, rough ride....
now I will say I had 2 knee surgeries after college which makes me not like 'short' cars, but still.... just saying... good luck on your decision...
Old 12-13-2013, 09:13 PM   #20

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Not sure of each persons needs...
but having had upwards of 8 jeeps in the past I was excited when my bro in law traded his funky lil honda crv and got a good looking 4 door unlimited with every option for a toad behind their dp....

thought we'd be able to go four wheeling - but alas that thing was SO uncomfortable just around town compared to what I recall... that I always suggested going in my 4 door truck !

very little leg room, cramped, rough ride....
now I will say I had 2 knee surgeries after college which makes me not like 'short' cars, but still.... just saying... good luck on your decision...
Thats why you need to buy one. That way you get to drive with all the leg room and your passengers suffer in the back.
exgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I suspect the additional wind noise was specific to that vehicle - something must not have been installed or adjusted right. neither my soft top Rubicon or our present hard top Sahara have suffered from wind noise.

I do like the running board/steps with the Sahara, but not for the reason you may think. They protect the door hinges and rear fender from rock damage. Keep in mind though, they are made of plastic.

I think you'll find a used Rubicon holds a very high resale value. Unless you go to something from the last generation ('06 or older) you may find a new one, with a warranty, much more attractive.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #22

Yes, unfortunately I need the luxury. Now looking for a cheap 2 or 4 door to just use for a toad. Mainly just me and the DW exploring through town. Doesn't sound like a great everyday vehicle.
umcontractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:40 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
With regards to new or used Jeep Wranglers for sale..............

If you search the newspaper want ads for new vehicles (at least in our area) you will not normally see Jeep Wranglers in the ads, and if they do show a Wrangler it is a stripped down 2 door model. If you do see a Wrangler for sale as a used unit you will find that they have a history of holding their value, even the high mileage units. To me this kinda indicates there is a very high demand for the Wranglers.

Today we have 6" of snow on the ground and DW has decided to leave the Enclave in the Garage and take the Jeep.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by umcontractor View Post
Yes, unfortunately I need the luxury. Now looking for a cheap 2 or 4 door to just use for a toad. Mainly just me and the DW exploring through town. Doesn't sound like a great everyday vehicle.
These two words not work "Hand in Hand" together.........
Old 12-14-2013, 08:46 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
These two words not work "Hand in Hand" together.........
I have a 2014 Sahara unlimited loaded with everything you can get, and in find it to be a great everyday vehicle, and I came from a BMW X5. Have actually been very pleased with the ride and as a tow vehicle you can't beat it! But that's just me, everyone has their own likes and dislikes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2006627041.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	482.2 KB
ID:	51987
HWH Active Air Suspension 2014 Wrangler
DRL1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:03 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
I suspect the additional wind noise was specific to that vehicle - something must not have been installed or adjusted right. neither my soft top Rubicon or our present hard top Sahara have suffered from wind noise.

I do like the running board/steps with the Sahara, but not for the reason you may think. They protect the door hinges and rear fender from rock damage. Keep in mind though, they are made of plastic.

I think you'll find a used Rubicon holds a very high resale value. Unless you go to something from the last generation ('06 or older) you may find a new one, with a warranty, much more attractive.
Don't make a decision on whether to buy one or the other based on running boards. They can be purchased from the dealer for about $300.00. They bolt on to the frame in a couple minutes.

http://www.mopar.com/part/82210565AD...2607620&b=jeep

I suspect the Rubicon doesn't have them because they sometimes get in the way when off roading. Plus the Rubicon has "rock rails" to help prevent body damage.

As far as wind noise, expect more with a soft top than a hard top. Over time the fabric will stretch and start top flap in the breeze. They are also far less secure than the hard top. Anyone who wants to get in can just unzip a window from the outside, reach in and open the door.

We have both tops and find we use the hard top far more than the soft top. It's more fun to go without any top at all when the sun is shining. In cold or inclement weather the hard top keeps the interior a lot dryer and warmer. If you do get the soft top you might want to consider the optional compartment that fits behind the rear seat.
Lockable Compartments - 82213771 | Mopar

It can only be opened from the rear with the tailgate open. It provides a more secure place to put valuables.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Drove our '07 five years and 80k miles, the soft top never did flap or rattle. (My CJs of decades past - you couldn't hear yourself think going down the road over the wind and rattles!) I also liked the feature that allowed me to quickly fold the front half of the top back for open air cruising. The hardtop does have removable panels over the front seats, but you have to find someplace to put them.

The security concerns of the soft top over the hard top are valid. I had installed a Tuffy storage drawer behind the rear seat that essentially became our trunk, and was impossible to get into if the back gate was locked (plus it had it's own lock if you were especially paranoid.) Their name is appropriate too. That Jeep was rear ended by a Ford Escape doing about 50. Once we pried open the rear of the Jeep the drawer still worked! The frame under the floor was bent, but that drawer still opened and closed!!
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:32 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Love my 2012 Ruby 4 door!
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote