Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2014, 02:09 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sanity Check, need a second, third, forth pair of eyes to double check

Afternoon all, I'm writing up this post to kind of get a sanity check on what I'm purchasing to tow my Jeep with.

Some Specs:
2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X 6 speed manual
2008 Fleetwood Fiesta 34N

Here is what I'm thinking of buying:
ReadyBrute Elite Tow bar with built in surge brake - $1080
Ready Stop Break Away - $109
Blue Ox BX1126 Base Plate - $332
Mopar Wiring Harness - ~$150

Anything else I'm missing? Do I need a drop hitch? If I do need a drop hitch, whats the best way to measure? I'm going to be doing the work myself, difficult to run the brake cable? I've heard the wiring harness can be a PIA but otherwise pretty self explanatory.

Don't know why, but I'm crazy worried about picking the wrong stuff here. I'm going to be getting all this stuff in the next few months for our first long trip, heading from Janesville, WI to Austin, TX. Want to make sure that I don't brake anything on the way or that I'm not buying the wrong stuff that will make towing the Jeep so nerve racking I want to sell the RV! Plus, lots of money to get this setup running.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2014, 02:13 PM   #2

As long as the hitch is not too far out of line with the Jeep, you won't need a drop hitch. The tow bar specs will show you what is acceptable and what is not.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:22 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
List looks good to me. The cable run was pretty easy when I did it in my truck. I had a mechanic who owed me a favor do the baseplate install. After watching him do it, I could have done it, too.
I'm very happy with the ReadyBrute setup.
jeffwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:34 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
The list looks pretty good to me. I do not have the Ready Stop Break Away and used the wiring harness from CoolTech instead. I'm very happy with my ReadyBrute bar and Blue Ox base plate. I have a '94 Fleetwood Pace Arrow and did need a 4" drop hitch.

I suspect you may need to get it all hooked up to know for certain what you will need - particularly with the variations that exists in Wranglers (tire sizes and lift kits).

I got most of my parts from RVUpgrades.com with excellent pricing due to a 10% off sale. The drop hitch was from eTrailer.com.

Hope that helps!!
Old 11-04-2014, 04:09 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Looks like you got it.. I will assume (Please verify for your own sake) the Jeep is a Four Wheel Drive and "Manual" refers to the transfer case and it WILL go into neutral (Some do not due to a recall that broke neutral). You need to confirm that.. Why you choose blue ox base plates I do not know but so long as they are compatible with the Ready Brute.. Go-4-it.

Drop hitch: Pull the jeep with base plate up to the back of the motor home, Get out a yard stick, measure the height of the connectors where the tow arms attach (measure to the center of the pin hole) .. now, with the motor home loaded for travel measure to the center of the receiver.

IF the measurements are within 3 inches of each other.. GOOD TO TOW
if you are off more than 3 inches, subtract the lesser from teh greater and get the nearest drop adapter you can find (IE: if off six inches a 4" will do) if you need to round, round down.

NOTE: what is the hitch rating, (Gassers usually 5,000 pounds, Diesels usually 10,000) if the jeep is heavier but check yours to be sure, usually means "Not always". If the jeep is too heavy, get something lighter.

Second, if you use a drop hitch, de-rate the hitch rating, you will have to contact its manufacturer to find out how much but I towed 4,000 with a 5,000 pound hitch and a 4" drop.. It broke.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:43 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The brake cable will be easy peasy with your Jeep. Once you do it you will wonder why you were concerned. Just drill the hole through the firewall were it won't interfere with anything and is still inline with your brake pedal. Run the cable up front avoiding any moving or hot parts or sharp bends and you're good to go!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:20 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My hitch is a 5k hitch and the jeep is 4100 curb weight. Hoping I won't need too much of a drop.