Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2019, 08:05 PM   #1

Seattle/Everett suggestions for installing tow package?

We bought 2012 CR-v to tow behind our Diesel pusher with air brakes. I’m leaning toward Roadmaster with Airforce1 brakes, but am getting quotes for the bundle around $4800 ($5300 with tax). Crazy!

Anyone have suggestion where to buy & install in Seattle area?

Jim
Seacrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2019, 08:47 PM   #2

It is probably farther south than you want but these guys are good at what they do and have always treated us fairly (I am not sure about your specific issue/product):

https://www.ballewshitchtruckrv.com
jjackrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:03 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Tow bar, baseplate, AF1, and wireing,,,,, That quote isn't rediculous.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacrazy View Post
We bought 2012 CR-v to tow behind our Diesel pusher with air brakes. I’m leaning toward Roadmaster with Airforce1 brakes, but am getting quotes for the bundle around $4800 ($5300 with tax). Crazy!

Anyone have suggestion where to buy & install in Seattle area?

Jim
We had Roadmaster install at their HQ/Shop in the Vancouver, WA area. Used Brakemaster (taps into coach air brake lines). 6K rating Tow bar, wiring, backup system for Brakemaster, brackets for same and base plates for a (then) Ford Explorer ran us about $3000+ and that was 8 years ago. When we swapped out the Explorer for a 2016 Expedition, I had to upgrade the tow bar to 8K rating, purchased and installed the Brakemaster backup system and the base plates and installed myself. Still spent over $1500 so your quotes above are likely not too far out of line.
toddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:55 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm 72 and just got done installing all the equipment on my '14 Jeep JKU that replaced my '14 CR-V.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:09 PM   #6

Yeah, it's challenging to find a dealer who sells both Roadmaster and Demco (Demco acquired SMI in 2017) in north Seattle to Everett.

Mann's is a Roadmaster dealer ...not sure if they sell Demco's Air Force One, though. They're in Shoreline and also have a shop in Bellevue. They have an excellent reputation in the Seattle metro area. I don't see them listed as a Demco dealer but you can call them to see. (website)

However, there are several good alternatives south of Seattle that are dealers for both and you can call to perhaps get a quote:

As jjackrash mentioned, Ballew's Hitch in Tacoma is excellent. I've been very impressed with them through the years whenever I've used or called upon them for advice. (website)

Infinity Coach in Sumner is another dealer for both. We've used them many times with good results. (website)

Torklift in Kent is also a dealer for both. They are always busy and I haven't had good luck getting them to answer any questions or asking for advice either on the phone or in person as they are always so busy but many I've talk to have had excellent service from them. (website)

And of course, I can't leave out this recommendation even though it's probably further than you want to go. Brazel's in Centralia is an iRV2 forum sponsor and many of us have used them for a variety of services. They too are both a Roadmaster and Demco factory authorized dealer. It may be worth making the trip as many of us do prefer to use iRV2 sponsors and you can stay overnight for free (I believe they still let you do that for customers having work done) at the small RV park on their property. I always attempt to give business to our forum sponsors. However, contradictory to that advice, I personally prefer Roadmaster to Blue Ox --Blue Ox is a forum sponsor-- so that's one recommendation that I try to remain neutral if at all possible.

Brazel's RV Performance ...webpage HERE

Brazel's combo package list for DPs

This is one that proably comes close to what you want ...go HERE (it appears to be the package and installation but not tax)

eta: ...as suggested, if you can install everything yourself, you will save at least $1,500. Good installation guides are available and you have a very common toad that you will be installing the brackets. Videos are out there too to help get a better idea of what you have to do.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:21 AM   #7

I’ll second the Infinity Coach of Sumner recommendation. We have had two toads set up by them with the Blue Ox baseplate, alpha tow bar, SMI brake controller, battery disconnect, all wiring, etc. was about $3500 out the door.
They do great work.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:31 AM   #8

I had my VW New Beetle converted by Manns in Bellevue. I was not pleased. The guys doing the work seemed clueless. The day after the install, I found my front turn signal lights were left hanging out of their sockets. This despite keeping my toad an extra day. They also forgot to give me the manuals so I had to make a second trip. Doesn't anyone check their work after they finish?
Maybe their other location is better but the Bellevue location needs improvement.

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:07 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Another recommendation for Infinity Coach in Sumner, WA.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:12 PM   #10

I visited with Roy Robinson RV in Marysville yesterday and they install Roadmaster, Blue Ox and Demco as well as the SMI Airforce products. At least that was the impression that I got from them yesterday.
MorrieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrieC View Post
I visited with Roy Robinson RV in Marysville yesterday and they install Roadmaster, Blue Ox and Demco as well as the SMI Airforce products. At least that was the impression that I got from them yesterday.
I usually do not like to recommend dealerships but Roy Robinson is one of the better ones in my opinion. I purchased a new motorhome there back in '05 and was impressed with the efficiency of their parts and service departments too.

But another reason I did not mention them is, like most dealerships, they are pricey when it comes to parts and labor compared to the independent shops that aren't major selling dealerships.

But OP shouldn't hesitate to at least give them a call to see if they are less expensive than the quote he has already received but I kind of doubt it.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
I usually do not like to recommend dealerships but Roy Robinson is one of the better ones in my opinion. I purchased a new motorhome there back in '05 and was impressed with the efficiency of their parts and service departments too.

But another reason I did not mention them is, like most dealerships, they are pricey when it comes to parts and labor compared to the independent shops that aren't major selling dealerships.

But OP shouldn't hesitate to at least give them a call to see if they are less expensive than the quote he has already received but I kind of doubt it.
I was given a verbal quote on a Roadmaster Falcon tow bar, Roadmaster base plate, universal diode, brake was an SMI Stay-in-play duo and a charge line kit of $4800. The lady I talked to was very knowledgeable and helpful, much more so than many of the other places I had checked with. Good suggestion on Brazels RV. I will check with them.
MorrieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:57 PM   #13

Thanks for everyone’s input. I’m still researching but did find the following:

Roy Robinson:I’ve had other work done there, seemed very competent, but pricey like others said. Brenda was very knowledgable and said they can install Demco or Roadmaster products and for my DP & CRv it’s going to be about $4800 before tax with either system, +/- about a hundred bucks.

Truck Trails in Mukilteo - don’t know anything about them, but they quoted $4445 before tax with All Terrain Roadmaster and M&G braking system.

Roadmaster factory in Vancouver, WA: quoted $3698 before tax with All Terrain Roadmaster and Invisibrake with wireless notifications. Said add $400 more for Brakemaster airline (=$4098 Bt). Said they go through system and step by step instructions.

Question- would it be bad idea to go with Invisibrake on a DP ? I use exhaust brake more than my service brakes, so does an SMI Airforce brake work that much better than an Invisibrake ($1100 better)?
Old 08-14-2019, 09:12 PM   #14

Thanks for everyone’s input. I’m still researching but did find the following:

Roy Robinson:I’ve had other work done there, seemed very competent, but pricey like others said. Brenda was very knowledgable and said they can install Demco or Roadmaster products and for my DP & CRv it’s going to be about $4800 before tax with either system, +/- about a hundred bucks.

Truck Trails in Mukilteo - don’t know anything about them, but they quoted $4445 before tax with All Terrain Roadmaster and M&G braking system.

Roadmaster factory in Vancouver, WA: quoted $3698 before tax with All Terrain Roadmaster and Invisibrake with wireless notifications. Said add $400 more for Brakemaster airline (=$4098 Bt). Said they go through system and step by step instructions.

Question- would it be bad idea to go with Invisibrake on a DP ? I use exhaust brake more than my service brakes, so does an SMI Airforce brake work that much better than an Invisibrake ($1100 better)?

Tags
install, tow