Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2015, 05:57 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Selecting the Right Towed.....

As we consider the move into a Class A. One point of interest is the selection of the right Towed vehicle.

1. Easiest to hook up and go.

2. Has a somewhat higher profile to get in and out of, like a SUV.

3. Really like the idea of having like a Jeep CJ but not sure if it is easy to
hook and go or not.

I would want the easiest hook up and go without messing with having to mess with drive train linkage issues. Not really a fan of small cars, harder for me to get in and out of. And the older it's not getting easier.

Ideas?....
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2015, 06:07 AM   #2

The Honda crv is a popular choice,however has minimal ground clearance, Jeep Grand Cherokee is also popular,it has very little rear pass leg room . Jeep Wrangler very popular . I just sold my jeep and switched to a 2015 Ford Expedition, lots of extra cargo space rear pass room and only flip the switch. It has to be a 2015 and 4 wheel drive.

Good luck,many good choices exist
Ahall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:37 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Kro1957,
You have the right requirements. Now you must look in the owners manual for each SUV you are considering. That is the only place the manufacturer must state the process for towing with all 4 wheels on the ground. Once you understand the process you can decide if it fits your level of irritation. An example would be the 2015 model GM cars. Only the Cadillac SRX can be towed 4 down without having to pull fuses. For me, this is unacceptable. Pulling fuses/relays/breakers is more irritation than I am willing to put up with.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:59 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
Really like the idea of having like a Jeep CJ but not sure if it is easy to hook and go or not.
I have been towing an '05 Jeep Wrangler for the past four years and find it is very easy to hook up and go. With an automatic, all you have to do is put the 4wd transfer case in neutral, transmission back in park, turn the key off one notch and leave the key in the ignition in accessory position. The important part is to not lock the steering wheel with the key so the front wheels can move freely. I have towed it over 20,000 miles that way with no problem.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:52 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I have been towing an '05 Jeep Wrangler for the past four years and find it is very easy to hook up and go. With an automatic, all you have to do is put the 4wd transfer case in neutral, transmission back in park, turn the key off one notch and leave the key in the ignition in accessory position. The important part is to not lock the steering wheel with the key so the front wheels can move freely. I have towed it over 20,000 miles that way with no problem.

Also an 05 Jeep TJ here. Great toad, easy to setup and tow. We do off-roading with various groups and activities. Lots of enjoyment.

Suggest a good used TJ over the CJ.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:55 AM   #6

Over the years I have towed small cars, a mini van, Grand Cherokees, and now a 26' enclosed trailer with a Jeep in it. For some trips though, I still tow my Avalanche. Just hook up, plug in the lights, plug in the air brake assist and switch the transfer case into neutral. We prefer it to the others, as it is bigger, easy to get in and out and sits higher for a better view. We can also go off on the lesser traveled back roads.

Edit: Some CJ's are 35 years old. I too, suggest a TJ. It will have coil suspension for a better ride.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:35 AM   #7

Buy a Blue Ox tow bar set up and you can hook and unhook in less than five minutes.
jerryhawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:30 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
2014 or older Honda CR-V to tow 4 flat/down. Check out yearly Dingy Guides online for lists of towable vehicles. We love our 2014 Honda CR-V -- automatic, easy to get in & out, great mileage and we can tow it 4 flat/down. Last year to do that. Can't wait to get ours set up and hit the road. Seen lots of great things about Blue Ox.

As Gary said above: "...Now you MUST look in the owners manual for each SUV you are considering. That is the only place the manufacturer must state the process for towing with all 4 wheels on the ground." Do NOT listen to any sales person. You MUST find it in the Owner's Manual!!!
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:48 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
great informaiton

I seen a nice jeep with a A frame tow bar in up position. Guy drives around that way and I thought it was a very easy way to hook up and go. Some of the places I go are a little rough so for now the Truck works pulling our 5r but when we move to a Class A. I need a rugged set of wheels to hit some of my fishing spots.

We have higher profile vehicles now. Wife has the Explorer but I am not sure there is that ease of what others have mentioned.

Great information. Thanks!! Jim
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:44 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I seen a nice jeep with a A frame tow bar in up position. Guy drives around that way and I thought it was a very easy way to hook up and go.
Personally, I'd stay away from the solid 'A' frame tow bar. Unless you have plenty of room to get both the toad and MH aligned, that bar can bind so tightly that you'll not be able to disconnect. Not a good situation if you find yourself in a tight location or can't turn around or back up. Backing up is a No No anyway.

I used the BlueOx Aladdin tow bar(aluminum, it's light), they have bar release levers to take the pressure off the connections for very easy dis-connect/connect. With the SMI Stay N Play aux braking system, it made towing our '08 Wrangler a snap... and ya can't beat a Jeep for getting to places others can't.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:45 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
As we consider the move into a Class A. One point of interest is the selection of the right Towed vehicle.

1. Easiest to hook up and go.

2. Has a somewhat higher profile to get in and out of, like a SUV.

3. Really like the idea of having like a Jeep CJ but not sure if it is easy to
hook and go or not.

I would want the easiest hook up and go without messing with having to mess with drive train linkage issues. Not really a fan of small cars, harder for me to get in and out of. And the older it's not getting easier.

Ideas?....
I would recommend the Honda CRV AWD (2014 or earlier). The reviews on this vehicle are FAR better than the Jeep! Of course, you would not want the CRV for serious off-roading!

I would also recommend the ReadyBrute Elite towbars with the built-in ReadyBrake, along with the Protect-A-Tow shield and a solid rubber rear flap for the motorhome! I used the Roadmaster baseplate (521567-1) and the Roadmaster 154 wiring kit for my 2013 CRV AWD.
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow