Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2013, 10:03 PM   #15

You should have known - they should have asked.

If your not willing to add the driveshaft disconnect, maybe negotiate with them to remove the system and possibly return the parts. Even if you could recover half your cost you would be better off than where you are at the moment. The equipment is essentially worthless on there right now to anybody.

I feel for you. That mistake hits you right in the wallet. Probably not the first one to make it.

All you can do is shake it off and keep rollin
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2013, 10:17 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Think at this point I'd have the lube pump installed from Remco.

You would have had to do that anyway if you were going to tow the Jeep.

Things happen......Life is hard and then you die.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:30 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ultimately it's up to the buyer of the towed to determine if the vehicle is towable before purchasing it.
That's what we thought we did, got it in writing on Honda letterhead too. Even then Honda put up a little fight when we asked for a buyback. We finally did get our money back for the towing equipment which we then used to buy a dolly.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:14 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Ultimately it's up to the buyer of the towed to determine if the vehicle is towable before purchasing it.
That's what we thought we did, got it in writing on Honda letterhead too. Even then Honda put up a little fight when we asked for a buyback. We finally did get our money back for the towing equipment which we then used to buy a dolly.
Bought a new 2006 Honda Pilot after sales manger showed us in the manual it could be towed four down as is.
Three months and 6,000 miles later found out it's not towable. Called the sales manager and he refunded all our money without a hassle.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:51 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
First thanks to all of you for your input. That is what this place is all about. I have put on my big girl panties now and realize I screwed up. So, now, my next steps.

I am not prepared to buy a new Jeep or other vehicle at this point. I am not prepared to crawl under the Jeep and remove the drive shaft. I am not prepared to tow it backwards (way too many are against this, I don't want to compound one mistake with another).

So, I am thinking I will go with the Remco Lube Pump Kit. Does anyone have first had experience with this and what all is involved. I see the cost and everything there, but what about once it is installed? How do I use it? Is it hands free at that point? Do I just put the vehicle in "N" and go from there? Any info (good or bad) would be helpful.

Any long term negative impact on the Jeep?

Thanks again to everyone's input.
djenkins452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Will the shop agree to swapping the equipment over to a 4X4 Jeep? Have them remove the equipment from the one you have, you trade it on one that will work, have them reinstall it on the new Jeep. Even if they'd split it with you, I think you'd be ahead.

Don't beat yourself up too much. There isn't a member here, out the entire 100,000 plus, that hasn't done something stupid at sometime.

That said, while I don't think you'd legally be entitled to any restitution from the shop, they should have known better, and should be embarrassed that they didn't.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:07 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by djenkins452 View Post
First thanks to all of you for your input. That is what this place is all about. I have put on my big girl panties now and realize I screwed up. So, now, my next steps.

I am not prepared to buy a new Jeep or other vehicle at this point. I am not prepared to crawl under the Jeep and remove the drive shaft. I am not prepared to tow it backwards (way too many are against this, I don't want to compound one mistake with another).

So, I am thinking I will go with the Remco Lube Pump Kit. Does anyone have first had experience with this and what all is involved. I see the cost and everything there, but what about once it is installed? How do I use it? Is it hands free at that point? Do I just put the vehicle in "N" and go from there? Any info (good or bad) would be helpful.

I agree that this is probably your best option. Not familiar with how this pump works. You should be able to get some info on the Remco website. If not give them a call. This is the Remco explanation of the ease of use: Remco Lube Pump system | LP-1 LP-2 LP-7 LP-8 LP-ford Remco Tow Products
Sounds pretty easy to me.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gio8856 View Post
50/50 you should have known better and done your homework, and the shop should have caught it....

someone with the right answer, good one
hanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:44 AM   #23

I agree with 50/50.
However, it's almost 60/40 you/shop. Yes, they shop shoulda caught it, but you told them what you wanted, and they did that. I can recommend stuff to people all day long, but half the time they don't listen and want to do it their way. Not saying you did that at all, but it happens a lot.
If someone says it's all the shop's fault, what about checking out the motorhome chassis for cracks while they're under there, or why didn't they check to see if you have the proper driver license for your setup.
I had a customer gripe because after he (insurance) spent ~$6k to replace his front cap, we didn't fix a piece of vinyl insert that was coming out of his trim. Same idea. Just because they are doing one item of work, doesn't mean they need to do everything else, to an extent.
Anyway, just ranting. You've got your game plan now.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:06 AM   #24

djenkins452
Where did you get the impression that the shop cared about you and what you needed/wanted?

IMO it's nearly impossible to find a shop like that.
The shop got the only thing they wanted from you...your $$!
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #25

Get a driveshaft disconnect. I've been running one for over 20 years on three different vehicles. Works great. The other posters comment that he's heard they are maintenance intensive is simply not true. They do require a clean and lube occasionally - wipe it off and spray a little silicon lube on it - 5 minutes maybe once or twice a year. Hardly a "continuously" required service. Call Dave at Driveshaft King (800.422.6329). He'll fix you up. Problem solved.
PbdBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
Get a driveshaft disconnect. I've been running one for over 20 years on three different vehicles. Works great. The other posters comment that he's heard they are maintenance intensive is simply not true. They do require a clean and lube occasionally - wipe it off and spray a little silicon lube on it - 5 minutes maybe once or twice a year. Hardly a "continuously" required service. Call Dave at Driveshaft King (800.422.6329). He'll fix you up. Problem solved.
Do this and you will be happy. You experienced a bump in the road.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by djenkins452 View Post

As a couple others have already said. The driveshaft disconnect may be a better choice. Since Jeep recommends removing the shaft when towing a 2wd Jeep they may frown on a lube pump if problems arize. With the disconnect you are following manufacturers recommendations.

As for the other situation the shop probably should have questioned installing the equipment on a 2wd Jeep. However they had no idea if you were taking it to another shop for further modifications. In addition I've seen more than 1 manufacturer change their minds as to whether a particular vehicle was or wasn't towable. Both Honda and Ford come to mind. Over the years both have sold models that they initially claimed to be towable 4 down. After a number of transmission failures both recanted the towability.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #28

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I personally know of two people that had the driveshaft disconnect and one with the pump. All three had transmission failures from the Remco products. In the case of the pump, it failed and the warning light/alarm didn't go off. The disconnects, one never did find out what happened and the other may have been an operator error but he wasn't sure.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service