Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2013, 10:47 PM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Our Isuzu Trooper 1985 Diesel has a drive shaft disconnect, and it does the job just great. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2013, 11:52 PM   #44

Jeep built the last 2 wheel drive JK Wranglers in 2010 I do believe. 2011 and newer are all 4 wheel drive. We have a 11 2 door wrangler and do tow it some times, but on the trailer like we do the 13 four wheel drive Ford Escape which is not towable four down. At this point I would have to go with the drive line disconect. The pump would not be an option for me for several reasons. The disconect is way less complicated and virtually bullet proof, and probably less money then a trany pump. 2 wheel drive Wranglers are very rare as not many were built back when it was available as an option. We haven't owned a two wheel drive vehicle since 1985 other then a Corvette, which I sold this year. At times in the winters here a two wheel drive vehicle is just not very reliable due to the snow and ice. Good luck and don't sweat the small things in life.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:51 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
I have a question for those who have the driveshaft disconnect. I have a Toyota FJ Cruiser automatic & 4x4. The owners manual states not towable, but I know there are some who do. I know Remco makes a driveshaft disconnect for it. I use my FJ for some extreme off roading & rock crawling. Is the driveshaft disconnect strong enough to use for low torque applications when needed for crawling over rocks or steep inclines, ect. ? Does anyone who has one do off roading with their vehicle?
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but it is somewhat related.
I don't trust them for st. use, let alone rock crawling. And you still have the frt. axle to deal with.
gio8856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:12 AM   #46

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry735001 View Post
run with the drive shaft disconnect devices , as for the lube pumps i would not go with it .. any lose in 12V power well start a fire in around 60 miles

63 miles to be exact
hanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:09 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
I have a question for those who have the driveshaft disconnect. I have a Toyota FJ Cruiser automatic & 4x4. The owners manual states not towable, but I know there are some who do. I know Remco makes a driveshaft disconnect for it. I use my FJ for some extreme off roading & rock crawling. Is the driveshaft disconnect strong enough to use for low torque applications when needed for crawling over rocks or steep inclines, ect. ? Does anyone who has one do off roading with their vehicle?
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but it is somewhat related.
I had a disconnect in my 98 Tacoma. Just sold it with 130,000 miles and lot's of off roading, some of it pretty hardcore. You do lose the double cardin joint at the center bearing but as long as your driveshaft angle is good (i.e. - you don't put a monster lift on the FJ) it isn't a problem. Never had an issue in the 15 years I owned it.
PbdBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:22 AM   #48

The lube pump is designed to circulate the transmission fluid to lubricate the internal parts and keep the transmission cool. The design of the particular transmission determines whether or not running in natural causes friction. The lube pump can only reduce the friction and dissipate some of the heat. There is no guarantee that you will not sustain transmission damage over a period of time even with a pump. Also the pump must be operating while the vehicle is being towed or the transmission will literally catch fire from the heat build up. This can happen in as little as 30 miles. Therefore, you MUST also have a temperature sensor / alarm in the transmission that displays and alarms in the MH for any peace of mind. It's a 12v pump that can malfunction, have a wire short, or blow a fuse. You know Murphy's Law.

As you can tell, I am not a fan of the pumps. My suggestion would be the drive shaft disconnect if you insist on using that vehicle. The best option is obvious, get a "towable vehicle". Sounds like you have already spent a ton of money and that can't be undone. However, the cheapest fix from this point now might not be the cheapest over all. A drive shaft disconnect or another vehicle would be my only two options ...just my 2 cents worth.
Iwillbeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gio8856 View Post
I don't trust them for st. use, let alone rock crawling. And you still have the frt. axle to deal with.
Transfer case in neutral for the frt axle. It's not full time 4x4.
However I am not sold on the DS disconnect either. A guess a trailer would be the safest bet. Just don't want t deal with finding a place to park a trailer at every cg that doesn't have the space. I could buy a trailer/car hauler for the same money as the towing setup for one vehicle & not be limited to just that one vehicle. Even if not racking up the miles on the odometer, you are still putting miles on the tires, axles & such. And for these off road tires that adds up to some big $$

Tags
service