Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2016, 04:13 PM   #1

Service Engine Soon on Tow

My service engine soon light came on on my Jeep Wrangler and stayed on for several days. I changed the oil, but that didn't help. With about 1/2 to 2/3 tank of gas, I added almost a quart of transmission oil to the gas. The light went off. Now I can remove that piece of black tape covering the light.

The service engine light came on on my Silverado. I had it checked and the test suggested I replace the throttle body. I purchased a can of cleaner and sprayed the butter fly flap and the entrance of the throttle body after removing the large breather pipe. The light disappeared.
I like easy quick fixes.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2016, 04:46 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Service Engine Soon on Tow

On my Jeep TJ Rubi after extended off roading at slow speeds, I have occasionally had a check engine light. But no codes. After some period of time and several miles of regular road driving speed it goes away. Go figure...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Walker View Post
My service engine soon light came on on my Jeep Wrangler and stayed on for several days. I changed the oil, but that didn't help. With about 1/2 to 2/3 tank of gas, I added almost a quart of transmission oil to the gas. The light went off. Now I can remove that piece of black tape covering the light.

The service engine light came on on my Silverado. I had it checked and the test suggested I replace the throttle body. I purchased a can of cleaner and sprayed the butter fly flap and the entrance of the throttle body after removing the large breather pipe. The light disappeared.
I like easy quick fixes.
I would make sure to tighten the gas cap after each refueling. Many cars used to come in with a DTC that was caused by a loose or bad gas cap, FWIW.
A bad gas cap will cause a "very large vacuum leak" code.
I can not imagine trans fluid cleaning the system quickly enough to erase a DTC but I could certainly be wrong..

Had an 07 Silverado that went into engine failsafe mode for no reason. We swapped the throttle body three times on that POC before finally redding ourselves of the torment. Last Chevy I ever had, lol.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:05 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You said it was a "service engine soon" light, which sounds like an indicator that it's time for an oil change. Just changing the oil doesn't turn the light off. Typically, there is a procedure for turning that light off. Often something like, turn the key on to accessory, pump the brakes three times and turn the key off (just an example).
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 04:51 PM   #5

I guess I was wrong. The light came on today and I haven't had it checked.

August, I killed the battery on my Silverado by leaving the flashers on while working machinery on the street. The guy working with me hooked his battery pack up to it, but it wasn't strong enough to crank it.
A nice lady brought her cables and I cranked it.
Upon driving away I notice something wasn't right. Actually I noticed it when it sluggishly cranked.
It went into limp mode. I have never had this experience. So, I drove about 13 miles wide open. Wide open was 5 mph except once or twice it got up to 35 mph going down hill.
The next morning it cranked good and I have never had a problem with it again.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:34 AM   #6

that was the same that happened to me, Bo.
It happened every other day for six months. Even GM said it was a problem in the wiring harness of the throttle body or the actual throttle body. Neither fixed the problem. After I traded to an F150 I found info saying there may be a bad engine ground causing it but I never had a chance to explore that information.
If it happens again, PM me and I will send you tech notes on it.
As far as the check engine light, stop by a local Auto Parts store and get the DTC code. I am sure that will shed light on the subject.

I'll be around if I can help with anything
Old 07-27-2016, 12:22 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Walker View Post

I like easy quick fixes.
Bo if it is the oil change light turn the ignition key on don't start the engine and press the accelerator slowly three times then turn the key off. The instructions are in your owners manual.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, service, tow