Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Set up 2012 Explorer 4 Towing

I had Camping World set up our 2012 Front WD Explorer for use as a toad when we bought new MH. How they did it eventually over powered the Body Control Module and "killed " the Explorer. It cost them almost $1600.00 to get it back to factory condition. Now I am trying to find someone who can set it up right. Has anyone towed a 2012 Explorer four down? Who did you get to wire it correctly? I live near San Antonio, TX and would like to find someone fairly close by. I sure don't want to turn it over to CW again if I don't have to.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2012, 01:56 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What items are you wanting to setup - just lights? Brake controller, if so, which one?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
What items are you wanting to setup - just lights? Brake controller, if so, which one?
Lights seem to be the problem as Explorer has LED brake and turn signals. Also power to Roadmaster Brakemaster supplemental braking system may be an issue; no one seems to know for sure. CW used Ford diode system so that's not the answer.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:42 AM   #4

We just bought the 2012 Explorer and are interested in the solution to the wiring problem. I will post any info I come across that solves this problem.
Snomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #5

Also, who did you have install the tow brackets and what brake system are you using? THX for any info!
Old 09-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #6
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snomas1 View Post
Also, who did you have install the tow brackets and what brake system are you using? THX for any info!
CW installed brackets. Using Roadmaster Brakemaster system. I do like it; much easier to set up than one of the "boxes."
Old 09-25-2012, 12:39 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
i got to watch this
i have nothing i can add but lots to learn before i start toading my wifes 2012 ex
brianj
Old 09-25-2012, 08:57 PM   #8

we have been towing a 2013 Ford Explorer AWD Limited since May. We have had alot of issues with the setup. We are using a blue-ox setup and it hides away and looks nice, no issues on that part of the setup. As for the wiring, i took it to a local RV/trailer shop and had it wired up because I didn't want to screw anything up on a brand new 45k vehicle, there was no room in the rear for seperate lights to be run so they tied into the system(that's all i know about that). I consulted ford before having it done and was told that there were no requirements other than what is in the manual(run it 5 mins, then D,R,N) and turn off. We purchased a brake buddy classic for our setup. On our first couple trips only 2 hours we had no issues. However on long trips we have had issues, Battery dead everytime. I consulted ford and they have no answer, the local dealer says to put a charge wire on which i will do(havn't yet). Officially Ford is saying there is no need for the charge wire, however i did get them to admit the problem has to do with the computer system that basically re-activates everything in the car when the brake is applied by the brake buddy. They indicated that they were hopeful a software update would be coming to disable this re-awakening issue. One other issue we had was that these fancy cars don't come with keys so when you have a severely dead battery bad things happen. First you'll have to use the emergency key in the fob(sneaky hidden thing) to even get in the car. Then your FOB will likely be deprogrammed which happened to us, this means you have to reprogram it to restart even when the battery is up it won't recognize the FOB. There is a slot hidden in the armrest to do this. However Ford won't tell you that when you call cause its dead, they just want to tow it and diagnose it, lol. Anyway long story but we have had issues towing this vehicle, love the vehicle but lots of problems. Hopefully a charge wire and possibly a software update will remedy it. Let me know if you have more questions.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #9

I think I will definetly go w/ a toad battery charge system since the "My ford Touch" computer is always on with the accessory switch on. Also not sure which brake system to use and who to do the lights, since diovitt had camping world install lights and blew out a "Body Control Module" Cost CW 1600 to replace. I still love the vehicle!!!

Tags
towing