Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2017, 02:32 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
wamcneil,
I just noticed that you appear to have a diesel pusher, correct? If so, while it could be a bit of a costly change to what your original game plan is, it's a great answer to your issue of brake lights vs signals from both coach and toad. What I'm talking about is, the M & G braking system. If you're not aware of them, its a great braking system, especially if you have a diesel pusher, with air brakes.
I won't go into how the system works but, in short, it's a unit that is placed in between your master cylinder and power brake unit on your Cherokee. It is attached to your coach, via a small, 1/4" air line. When your coach's brakes are applied, air is applied to that unit and, your brakes are applied in the Cherokee.
But, the really good part, your brake pedal in the Cherokee, DOES NOT MOVE! And, when you have no movement in the pedal, you have no brake switch action which means, you won't have any brake light signal from the Cherokee's system going to the brake lights. Only your coach's brake lights will be sent to them, cool huh?
Scott
Thanks. I looked at M&G, and called them. I thought it was a pretty cool system, but they actually don't recommend that one for the GC because it's hard to fit in with the fuse box just forward or the master cylinder. They've got a different model that works like an Air Force One. And it is just as expensive as AF1. And doesn't include the coach-side air system protection gear.
I found a new roadmaster for about half the price.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2017, 02:38 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryinID View Post
Just wired a 2016 Jeep Patriot. Used a kit with its own bulbs for the tail, directional, and MH brake lights. Simple to install because the taillight unit comes off easily by removing two plugs. It has space for drilling a one inch hole to install the bulb. There is no connection to the Jeeps lighting system. You just pull the wire with the plug forward underneath and you are good to go. The kit was like $79.

I am also using a brake buddy. So it will turn on the Jeep's brake lights also when it activates. No interference or confusion for following drivers. No interaction with directionals. It requires no wiring for the lights. It does have a wire forward for the breakaway switch.
Thanks. I do like the idea of totally separate lights, but I found a Hopkins kit that just plugs in line with the tail light plugs that looks like it might work really well. It looks like it intercepts both car and coach signals, and illuminates the appropriate lights. So, fingers crossed... it was about $45 on amazon, but then I looked at it again the next day and the price went up to $65! Glad I ordered it when I did...

Tags
advice, light, lights, tow, towing