Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
You're disconnecting the drive shaft? Why?
Well, there are two schools of thought in the MG Community. With The Driveshaft connected the rear output shaft would be turning. At least in the Late model B's it has a helical groove in it that causes the oil to be fed to the bearings and layshaft as it turns -- sort of an Archimedes Pump -- called a slinger been around british cars forever. However some in the MG community say without the input shaft turning to further churn up the oil there may not be enough to keep the layshaft bearings lubricated enough. On some transmissions there is an oil pump on the input shaft, and on some there is one on the output shaft.

I do most of the work on my MG myself, but I have a garage here that I get most of my parts from. I have known the owner and his chief mechanic for over 35 years when we were all active in road racing. His head mechanic, who has forgotten more about british cars than I will ever know, says on the late model B's it shouldn't be a problem. Its a minor point, but the conservative approach says to disconnect the drive shaft on the differential side. There are only 4 bolts and lock nuts. In anticipation I have an extra set of bolts and 12 nylock nuts in the boot. You can not install the driveshaft out of phase, as the holes in the coupler are offset so the worse you can do is be 180 degrees out, no biggie, and a punch and white paint fix that.

You could just let the drive shaft flop around nothing will get hurt, as there is a pan welded to the frame about 2-3 inches below where it normally rides that will support it. Just to be on the safe side however, I will bungee the drive shaft to the battery box frame about 18 inches away just to keep it from flopping about. That is the conservative approach... but it is nice to know that if I need to I should be able to tow the car with the shaft connected. I'll just set a 35-45 MPH / 10 Mile personal limit to that.

Roadmaster makes a drive shaft disconnect, but I am not sure how well it will fit the MG. Something later to investigate.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
OOps that's Remco not roadmaster....
Old 09-05-2012, 06:24 AM   #45

Have been lucky enough to have never seen the inside of an English trans. but if the counter shaft is turning when in neutral, I would think there would be plenty of lube being slung around where dropping the driveshaft would be overkill. That's me though. -Al
Old 09-05-2012, 06:53 AM   #46

Not a mechanic, but could you keep it 4 gear when towing with the clutch depress and held down with a stick?
landtrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:16 AM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by landtrv View Post
Not a mechanic, but could you keep it 4 gear when towing with the clutch depress and held down with a stick?
That would work, as long as a bump or road alligator didn't dislodge the stick and effectively bump start it.

Also of all the running parts on the car, the differential is still the cheapest part -- used ones can be got for under $200 and rebuilt ones for $350-$400 at least around here. They can be changed in an afternoon.

If you disconnect the drive shaft at the diff, the only wear on the car is tires, wheel bearings, and brakes (with supplemental braking). And that takes less than 10 minutes start to finish with a half inch socket and combination wrench. It takes twice as long to hook it up to the MH.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #48

I understand. But having towed on a dolly and with my previous set up I had to lay on the ground to put the safety chains on and on more that one occasion I had to do that in either the rain or shortly after a rain which then took another 15 minutes to change my clothes before jumping in the drivers seat. Now I use the factory tow hook on the front of the GTI to attach the safety chains which takes 10 seconds and I can do standing up under an umbrella if necessary.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by landtrv
I understand. But having towed on a dolly and with my previous set up I had to lay on the ground to put the safety chains on and on more that one occasion I had to do that in either the rain or shortly after a rain which then took another 15 minutes to change my clothes before jumping in the drivers seat. Now I use the factory tow hook on the front of the GTI to attach the safety chains which takes 10 seconds and I can do standing up under an umbrella if necessary.
I figured that. So based on my reliable source that says I can just tow it, I can hook it up and tow it to someplace dry and or not muddy with the drive shaft in place. then pull the bolts. I'll just keep the speed and distance down until I do. He says there is another guy doing the same thing who doesn't pull the drive shaft at all, but its a Race Car and I don't know what he did to the tranny or how stock it is. It maybe the overdrive tranny which is another beast altogether. Hopefully, I'll be able to pull the MH forward a bit, I'll likely find dry ground there. Now that you mention it, I suppose I can throw a pair of coveralls in the bin with the jack, for sloppy day occasions. Good Idea, thank you. As I get into this I may adapt the strategy, but I'll start conservative, and go from there
Old 09-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #50

Good luck your MGB is very nice. I did own two MGs a MGB and a MGC with 3 wipers should have kept the MGC also had a 63 Austin Healy Sprite MKII not a bugeye