Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2016, 08:03 AM   #99

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
I hope you're wrong about the need to include the 2016 Grand Cherokee, as that is what I went to after FCA bought my 2015 Cherokee Limited back. New experienced the wobble with the 15 Cherokee, and haven't thus far with the 16 Grand Cherokee. I have not heard of anyone having this issue with the 16 GC. I found out after the fact that the 16 GC went to the electric assist steering like the 14-15 Cherokees.
I'm sure many will be interested in knowing if the '16 GC is subject to the same wobble issue. If not, what are the differences in design between the Cherokee and the GC? Is someone out there from FCA that can provide an answer?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2016, 10:44 AM   #100

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
Ugh.......

My cynical cohort in this, and now you...........

I've driven that transition a thousand times at least (I lived just a few miles west of there off the 101 for several years).

I would really like to know, if you drove it another 10 times, if / how many times would it happen again. When you get a few minutes, can you reply with the details up to the point it happened; approach speed, did you slow down in a straight line, take the corner on a neutral throttle, were you braking through the corner (trail braking), at what point did it start etc. Can you also refresh us as to what tow bar and brake system you have?

Regards
Blue Ox Aventa tow bar, AF1 breaking system. Made three trips through this interchange last year hear, and no problems. Today was a little colder, about 64 deg. Today did seem like all of the roads were rougher than last year. I have 5 psi more in all my tires (110front, 104rear). There were a lot of filled cracks in the concrete pavement. I was about 3/4 through the curve when the wobble started. Probably about 50mph at that point. I had just exited the curve when I started to slow down. Took a few seconds to realize it was the wobble problem. My first guess is that a curved road might be part of the equation. There were a lot of bumpy roads on this trip, be we were always going straight in those sections.

Dan
Old 06-13-2016, 11:06 PM   #101

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
They not only need to fix the Cherokee but will need to do the same to the Grand Cherokee also.
Jeep Cherokees and Grand Cherokees are two entirely different vehicles. I'm on a number of RV forums where many members are towing Grand Cherokees, and I have yet to see anyone mention a problem towing one.

Can you cite any specific examples of what you're referring to?
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 04:51 AM   #102

Winnebago Owners Club
We posted about a low-speed occurrence of the wobble on our TrailHawk last November. Added two hitch clamps and a bungee to the steering wheel. For about four thousand miles we were doing great. But last week we had our second occurrence of the wobble -- this time at about 60mph, and on smooth road (though on a long uphill climb).

The wobble at 60mph is relentless. By the time you get the rig slowed down and pulled over into a wide spot, your forearms are beat. It was so bad that tubs of gear had toppled over in the rear compartment of the Jeep.

I have not received any recall notice, but I know that my Cherokee is defective. To be towed behind our MH is the only reason that we bought the Cherokee and now I absolutely hate the vehicle. I am worried about the fatigue on the receiver and frame on the MH now, too. Not to mention the tow bar.

I am very disappointed in the Jeep. Am so sad that we sold the Wrangler for this...

\ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 05:56 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
We posted about a low-speed occurrence of the wobble on our TrailHawk last November. Added two hitch clamps and a bungee to the steering wheel. For about four thousand miles we were doing great. But last week we had our second occurrence of the wobble -- this time at about 60mph, and on smooth road (though on a long uphill climb).

The wobble at 60mph is relentless. By the time you get the rig slowed down and pulled over into a wide spot, your forearms are beat. It was so bad that tubs of gear had toppled over in the rear compartment of the Jeep.

I have not received any recall notice, but I know that my Cherokee is defective. To be towed behind our MH is the only reason that we bought the Cherokee and now I absolutely hate the vehicle. I am worried about the fatigue on the receiver and frame on the MH now, too. Not to mention the tow bar.

I am very disappointed in the Jeep. Am so sad that we sold the Wrangler for this...

\ken
You will not get a "recall" notice, but an amendment to your owners manual that states that the new harness is required for 4 down towing on Active Drive II transmissions (which to clarify for others, was the transmission required to tow 4 down all along, but until recently did not require any modifications or additional equipment).

As I continue to reiterate, something triggered the wobble.

I don't recall seeing anyone mentioning that on a smooth road that the wobble occurred. A couple of questions / thoughts:

Do you think the road may have had a significant crown? In the RV you are tracking in the wider truck groove on the road, while the narrower track Jeep is riding the uneven sides of the crown. I could see that the toad would want to follow the crown that could trigger a steering effect

Also, you mention going up hill, and items in the back of the jeep. How heavy are the things you carry in the back? I'm thinking up pulling up hill shifts weight to the back on the toad, and with heavy things in the back, of course more weight transfer, creating an unloading of the front tires on the Jeep that could effect self centering.

Just curious.......
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:54 AM   #104

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

\ken
Sorry to hear of your problem. It reinforces the urgency of getting the problem resolved.

While I maintain that the best solution would have been a mechanical-hydraulic damping system, I recommend that you get the electric kit now available from Jeep. This should be free of cost to you but you may need to pursue contacts at FCA mentioned earlier in this thread.

In short, the electric system is a harness which is used to activate the electric PS in the Jeep, while the ignition is off. Within the software controlling the electric PS system is a "wobble mitigation algorithm" for which FCA/Jeep received a patent back around 2010. (this is documented in another forum). That should tell everyone enough to figure out why FCA should be offering this fix free of charge to all owners of KL Cherokees.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:46 AM   #105

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks, Betr2Trvl.

Quote:
Do you think the road may have had a significant crown? In the RV you are tracking in the wider truck groove on the road, while the narrower track Jeep is riding the uneven sides of the crown. I could see that the toad would want to follow the crown that could trigger a steering effect
It is very possible that there may have been a sizable crown. I did not notice it, however. It was not a new road, but a road in great condition (HWY 15 northbound between Hazard and Jackson, KY).

Quote:
Also, you mention going up hill, and items in the back of the jeep. How heavy are the things you carry in the back?
We are cyclists and keep our gear handy by carrying it in the back of the TrailHawk. Nothing too heavy (pump, extra wheels, a couple small tool boxes, etc.) -- Maybe 50-60 pounds total. It is kept in two large Rubbermaid tubs. There are also about 80 pounds of bikes/rack on the receiver. And 90 pounds of kayaks on the roof (but the kayak weight is mostly forward of the front seats). In all, the weight in the towed Jeep is less than the combined weight of two pretty small people.

I am quite disappointed in the vehicle because of this, but am finding that it is too new for me to sell without taking a bath. We are camped for another week, so will get my first chance to take it to a dealer right around the end of the month.

For those who have had the "fix," has it cured the wobble problem?

Thanks,

\ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:04 AM   #106

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks, rpasetto.

Quote:
In short, the electric system is a harness which is used to activate the electric PS in the Jeep, while the ignition is off. Within the software controlling the electric PS system is a "wobble mitigation algorithm" for which FCA/Jeep received a patent back around 2010. (this is documented in another forum).
I did not know this. Thanks. Can you link me to that forum and the discussion?

Quote:
That should tell everyone enough to figure out why FCA should be offering this fix free of charge to all owners of KL Cherokees.
It also seems to suggest that they had a sense of the potential for a wobble problem well before the release of the new Cherokee models. I will hope for a quick and FREE and permanent fix when I get to the dealer.

Thanks again,

\ken
Old 06-15-2016, 05:49 AM   #107

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks, rpasetto.

I did not know this. Thanks. Can you link me to that forum and the discussion?

It also seems to suggest that they had a sense of the potential for a wobble problem well before the release of the new Cherokee models. I will hope for a quick and FREE and permanent fix when I get to the dealer.

Thanks again,

\ken
There are two forums which have more info for you on this:
2014 - 2016 Jeep Cherokee Forums
In particular the thread: Severe shaking problem towing behind motorhome - 2014 - 2016 Jeep Cherokee Forums
contains a lot of information about these events.

also 2014+ Cherokee-KL - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum
has a thread:2014 Jeep Cherokee rv tow wobble - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum with additional info.

In these forums you'll find a wealth of information about the Cherokee, both on towing behind MH and other issues like how to keep the automatic liftgate from accidentally striking bike rack.. I digress...

Both forums have a "jeepcares" ID who responds to individuals having issues, tow-wobble in particular. Here's a link to a post which will give you info you need to make that contact: Severe shaking problem towing behind motorhome - Page 30 - 2014 - 2016 Jeep Cherokee Forums
Old 06-15-2016, 06:30 PM   #108

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am looking at a 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk. The dealer says it doesn't need the wiring harness to prevent wobble. He says that is because the transmission on this one is a "5I4S" and only the "5I4" needs it. He also ran the vin# and came up empty. Does anyone know if the "5I4S" is exempt from the fix.

Thanks,

Wally
fudgeanyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 06:52 PM   #109

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgeanyone View Post
I am looking at a 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk. The dealer says it doesn't need the wiring harness to prevent wobble. He says that is because the transmission on this one is a "5I4S" and only the "5I4" needs it. He also ran the vin# and came up empty. Does anyone know if the "5I4S" is exempt from the fix.

Thanks,

Wally
It applies to ALL Cherokees built prior to 2/16/16. The original TSB from FCA issued 2/24/16 did specify the wiring kit was only needed if the VIN number was listed. However the latest TSB issued 4/26/16 does not state anything about a VIN lookup.

As further proof take a look at dpinvidic's post #94 in this thread. He has a Trailhawk and experienced the problem at approximately 50 mph.

I have also seen posts on a Cherokee forum where other Trailhawk owners have experienced the problem.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:30 PM   #110

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgeanyone View Post

Thanks,

Wally
I got that same story, and my vin did not show up on the list.
Then just this past weekend i got tne wobble. So strange the you must come to a complete stop. How can it continue to wobble at 10mph...but it did....i was watching in the monitor.

Dan
Old 06-16-2016, 04:36 AM   #111

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks, rpasetto.

I will read through these. I appreciate the guidance!

\ken
Old 06-16-2016, 08:29 AM   #112

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the quick replies. I went to the Jeep Garage Website and can't find the TSB dated 4/26/2016. The last TSB if find is dated 3/29/2016 and is TSB 08-29-16a. It eliminates the VIN search but still says "**This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with 4x4 (Sales Code 5I4) and with Jeep Active Drive II (Sales Code DK4)". The vehicle I am looking at says that it has a 4x4 (Sales Code 5I4S) and Jeep Active Drive II (Sales Code Dk4). The dealer says that since the 4x4 Sales Code is 5I4S that the wiring kit is not needed. Is there a difference between the 5I4 and 5I4S that allows it to be towed without the wiring harness?

Thanks again for the help.

Wally
fudgeanyone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing