Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2021, 07:23 AM   #1

Share Your Mini Toad Setups

Ok, newbie here and this thread is totally self serving, ok I said it! I just bought (yesterday) a 2017 Mini I plan to flat tow behind my newly acquired 2015 Winnebago Aspect 31J. I’ve read through the closed thread from 2017 and still have some questions. I’m probably going to go with the following:

1. Blue Ox baseplate BX1312
2. Etrailer SD tow bar, Blue Ox or other Blue Ox baseplate compatible tow bar

So after that things get sketchy! What are people using for:

1. Braking?
2. Lighting?
3. Are you running 12vdc from the RV to car battery?

I understand with our cars you put it in neutral and hit the lock button twice to keep the alarm from going off when you move. Do you need to run external lighting to the tail lights or can the existing lights turn on when brakes are applied by braking system?
Jerry K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2021, 07:37 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
You will need to run wiring for tail/turn/brake lights. Just like towing any trailer, because basically that's what your toad is while you are pulling it.

I don't pull a Mini, but I do have fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3637.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	314508  
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 07:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
You will need to run wiring for tail/turn/brake lights. Just like towing any trailer, because basically that's what your toad is while you are pulling it.

I don't pull a Mini, but I do have fun.
Thanks, makes sense. What’s that behind your RV, an MGTD?
Old 01-15-2021, 05:41 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry K. View Post
Thanks, makes sense. What’s that behind your RV, an MGTD?
1937 SS100 Jaguar kit car. Fun on the sunny days. I never tow it too far, mainly within 3-4 hours from home.

Long trips the Ranger comes along behind us with the bicycles or KLR650 in the back.

I have a Brake Buddy that I can swap back and forth for aux brakes. Just plug it into the cig lighter and go. It also has a break-away circuit that is hard wired into each toad.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Old 01-15-2021, 05:50 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The SS100. I bought it from a guy in Tombstone, Arizona and drove it home close to 2,000 miles. It gets a little cool at 7,000 feet plus in March! Nice up to Pioche, Nevada though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1884.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	292.1 KB
ID:	314608   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180321_105004.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	571.5 KB
ID:	314609  

Name:	20180324_084336.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	241.4 KB
ID:	314610  
Old 01-15-2021, 07:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
The SS100. I bought it from a guy in Tombstone, Arizona and drove it home close to 2,000 miles. It gets a little cool at 7,000 feet plus in March! Nice up to Pioche, Nevada though.
I bet it was chilly! I’ve got a 60 MGA that will be moving along sometime soon as the Mini wants to be in the garage.

Name:	F20BB455-E792-4AC0-86D7-3CB7D3497AFF.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	463.7 KB
ID:	314615
Old 01-16-2021, 06:45 AM   #7

For lights if you do not want to wire them look at a wireless tail light bar. Tow trucks use them all the time. I bought one 7 years ago and it works flawlessly. When we changed tow cars it required nothing special to set up light on second car. Got mine from tow mate but there are several out there. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Old 01-16-2021, 08:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper2020 View Post
For lights if you do not want to wire them look at a wireless tail light bar. Tow trucks use them all the time. I bought one 7 years ago and it works flawlessly. When we changed tow cars it required nothing special to set up light on second car. Got mine from tow mate but there are several out there. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Genius! Not a lot of metal areas to attach to with the sunroof and antenna but I’m thinking it could sit inside against the rear window and still be seen well enough.
Old 01-16-2021, 03:32 PM   #9

I had a 2012 Mini Countryman with a Blue Ox base plate. The problem I had was the base plate tore loose from the mounting brackets on the Mini. We were close to Tok, Alaska when this happened, so we went into town and I redesigned the mounting brackets from Blue Ox's design which mounts to the front bumper support to mount from the front radiator core support and the front engine mounts. Fortunately I was able to find a welding shop which would work with me, and was able to get back on the road after a day's work.

Now to come loose, it will have to tear the whole front of the motor off - but I've since sold the Mini for another toad.

Blue Ox has their base plate tie into just the front bumper supports. This is relatively light gage sheet metal, and eventually fatigues. This, I have since found out, is not an uncommon event for unibody design cars with base plates connected.

Just be aware
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mini hitch.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	314685   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mini hitch1.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	314686  

Name:	Mini4.jpg
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	314687   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mini5.jpg
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	314688  

Beach Aire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 04:14 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wow, lucky you caught that in time Bob!

I saw a Jeep with the same problem in the back lot of a CG one time.
Old 01-16-2021, 04:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Aire View Post
I had a 2012 Mini Countryman with a Blue Ox base plate. The problem I had was the base plate tore loose from the mounting brackets on the Mini. We were close to Tok, Alaska when this happened, so we went into town and I redesigned the mounting brackets from Blue Ox's design which mounts to the front bumper support to mount from the front radiator core support and the front engine mounts. Fortunately I was able to find a welding shop which would work with me, and was able to get back on the road after a day's work.

Now to come loose, it will have to tear the whole front of the motor off - but I've since sold the Mini for another toad.

Blue Ox has their base plate tie into just the front bumper supports. This is relatively light gage sheet metal, and eventually fatigues. This, I have since found out, is not an uncommon event for unibody design cars with base plates connected.

Just be aware
Did you share that with Blue Ox and if so did they redesign the base plate?
Old 01-18-2021, 07:32 AM   #12

We tow a 2013 Mini Roadster. (6-speed "S")

We're using the Blue Ox base plate, a Ready Brute Elite tow bar (mechanical surge brake) and a TowMate 22" remote tow bar for lighting.

The tow light doesn't require any cabling to the RV for lighting, so no messing with existing wiring nor running wires specially for the braking lights. We've done 30K miles with it behind us.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Aire View Post

Just be aware
Ok, that’s frightening! I’ve been considering the BluevOx and Roadmaster base plates. Leaning heavily towards the Roadmaster now! It appears to tie into the frame. Please take a look at pics and let me know what you think.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/attachme...1&d=1611070180

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	687A7AE8-5B58-48EB-81DA-A995DA54D28A.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	315063   Click image for larger version

Name:	2C9CF242-EDF2-4731-A1DA-0F19802E9817.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	315064  

Name:	989F87AF-0568-4D88-808F-AA264D629C1B.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	315065  
Old 01-20-2021, 08:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
We tow a 2013 Mini Roadster. (6-speed "S")

We're using the Blue Ox base plate, a Ready Brute Elite tow bar (mechanical surge brake) and a TowMate 22" remote tow bar for lighting.

The tow light doesn't require any cabling to the RV for lighting, so no messing with existing wiring nor running wires specially for the braking lights. We've done 30K miles with it behind us.
Planning to use a TowMate 22” wireless bar for inside the rear window of our Mini. The surge braking system is interesting! How tough was it to route the cable from the tow bar to the brake pedal?

Tags
toad