Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #1

Shopping for a toad

Well, phase II has begun in earnest...shopping for the towed vehicle. We...I am looking more at the 2013 Jeep Wrangler (over-priced as they are) and my dear wife would like to find a new/used anything for around $15,000.00....

It reminds me of the Motor Home search and all of the "discussions" we had on the price, floor plan, and so forth...Happy Wife, Happy Life....

I live by the credos "There's nothin' like brand new equipment" and "You ain't Lackin' if you're Cadillac'in" . My wife lives by the credo..."if it ain't on the clearance rack...".

So the search rages onward for that perfect toad to roll behind our perfect Motor Home...32 years of blissful marriage this March...
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #2

My neighbor just bought a 2006 Mini Cooper S for 10K, he will use that for his toad. Nice and light, easy to tow and will use it for a commuter during the week. I like the Wrangler idea, but they get blood money for those, not worth it.
Hermosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #3

Look at a couple year old Grand Cherokees, they drop in price faster then Wranglers.

I've an 05 Wrangler Unlimited (not loaded) and an 05 Grand Cherokee Limited (fully loaded). Wrangler is worth more.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Honda's are light and dependable. We have towed Civics since 2002 with no problems. No matter what you get, I would recommend something that can be towed 4 down.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #5

Not all Jeeps or Hondas are towable 4 down, so before you buy, please verify with the dealer that you are not going to void the warranty. You may also want to check the annual issue of Motorhome magazine to confirm makes and models.

Ex. For Honda, the Fit and CRV are the only towable automatics.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #6

I would say it depends on your needs as to the perfect toad. Some tow big old honkin Escalades because that is what they want to drive when they get there, others Smart cars and many Wranglers because the boondock and want to play in the mud. I have a diesel VW because I like getting 50 MPG when I am commuting but it will not play nice in the mud.

I agree with lass, make sure it is towable 4 down. There have been several posters lately trying to figure out how to fix a problem that could have been prevented by getting a towable 4 down.

Take care, have fun with search.
Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #7

on Wrangler. I have a 12

They cost what they are worth and hold good value. But I may have mine for life so it dont matter to me.

Easy-peasy towing. And seeing wildlife and scenery that most cannot dream of is quite grand. Did I mention that off-road gives you crowd relief?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #8

I've towed my 1999 everywhere, it must like me because it follows me wherever I go !!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1471057971.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	391.6 KB
ID:	32160
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TdogKing View Post
I've towed my 1999 everywhere, it must like me because it follows me wherever I go !!

Attachment 32160
Great pic! I may be incorrect but the mini and smart car cannot be towed 4 down. As mentioned Motorhome Magazine just came out with all the new towable's. Remco Inc if given a call will say yes or no as to 4 wheels down. They make a great aftermarket tranny cooler.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've been looking to buy a new toad also.

I now have a '06 Malibu and tow it 4 down. I looked at new Malibus yesterday (2013) and the "owners manual" sez NO CAN DO! I would have to go to an Equinox (small SUV).

I would buy a Mini Cooper in a minute but it would have to be a "stick shift"- The bride doesn't want that-

I won't do the tow dolly or trailer thing. Too hard to find a place to store them in many tight campgrounds- and too heavy for me moving around anymore by myself.

I'm talking "automatic Tranmissions" now- You must look in the owners manual and look under "Towing, or Dingy towing, etc" and see what is printed in that book, for that particular vehicle- that will determine your warranty rights.

"Four down" is the only to go in my opinion also- It's so easy to hook up and unhook.

Good luck on your search,
Old 01-19-2013, 06:03 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ex. For Honda, the Fit and CRV are the only towable automatics.[/QUOTE]
I am towing a 2012 Civic and have not had any problems. I towed a 2002 Civic for ten years and although not approved by Honda for towing, I had no problems.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Ex. For Honda, the Fit and CRV are the only towable automatics.
I am towing a 2012 Civic and have not had any problems. I towed a 2002 Civic for ten years and although not approved by Honda for towing, I had no problems.[/QUOTE]

I see it all of the time, folks towing Honda cars and yet both the factory and REMCO say do not do it. As I continue shopping for our toad, I am somewhat leery of purchasing a car that is not recommended for towing. With that said, I cannot deny the success of hundreds of folks like you who tow Honda cars.
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:23 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We tow a 2011 Chevy Equinox and have had no problems. It is a nice vehicle. The Honda CR-V is a popular Toad and is towable 4 down.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:24 AM   #14

Wrangler's about the only vehicle I know you can drive for 5 yrs & sell for just about what you paid fir it.
ARTWERKE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad