Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2016, 10:23 PM   #1

Smile Should I tow my new Jeep or ????

Hello all, my user name Newmar Newbi doesn't say it all. not only am I new to Newmar I am new to Class A's. Quite a jump from where I once was with a 15 ft Scotty highlander. I have been retired for some time and my wife has only recently made up her mind to do the same.

We haven't even picked up our coach, and we have a potential toad Problem. We almost completed a trade this after noon (our 2015 Subaru crosstreck, for a 2011 Jeep liberty), we are supposed to pick up the Jeep tomorrow, and I plan to drive it out of state next week to pick up the MH, have a tow bar and break system installed installed. The problem is in researching my new toys further I came across a rather official looking "MANUAL" for the 2011 Jeep Liberty that says that "to tow this vehicle the drive shaft must be removed". I find a lot of post by Liberty owners who have pulled then with motor-homes. Several have written of the procedure for towing step by step but NONE have mentioned removing the drive shaft.

Now my question: Have any of you towing a Jeep Liberty, specifically a 2011 had to remove the drive shaft, to do so? I did ha a service manager at a Chrysler Jeep Dealership tell me that all Jeep with4 wheel drive can be towed flat, and that the ones that are only 2 wheel drive must be towed on a dolly.

I am not sure How well I am going to sleep tonight.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Newmar Newbi almost. Total confused
Newmar Newbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2016, 10:40 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Here are the instructions from the 2011 Liberty User's Guide Sixth Edition that I downloaded here My Jeep: Jeep Owners Service Manuals - 4x4 SUVs, Sports Utility Vehicles, Off Road

http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/manuals/

Depress the brake pedal and turn the ignition switch to ON/RUN with the engine shut off.
• Shift the transmission into NEUTRAL.
• Shift the transfer case into NEUTRAL by holding down the NEUTRAL Pin switch for four seconds until the LED
starts to blink. The LED will stop blinking and remain on when the shift is complete.
• Start the engine and shift into DRIVE to ensure there is no vehicle movement.
• Shut the engine off and shift the transmission into PARK.
• Place the ignition switch in the OFF position and remove the key.
• Apply the parking brake, attach the vehicle to the tow vehicle with a tow bar and release the parking brake.
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 03:58 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is the Liberty 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive?

4 wheel drive can usually be flat towed - because it has transfer case that can be placed to neutral. This effectively disconnects the engine/transmission from the axles/wheels.

2 wheel drive must be on a dolly, or probably ok with driveshaft removed or disconnected (there are companies that make disconnects), or maybe a pump added to the transmission is available (Remco is a company that provides such pump).
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:42 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:57 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

If it was a 2WD drive Liberty, then yes the drive shaft needs to be disconnected (there are expensive kits available make that easy, though). If 4WD, then not needed - place the transfer case in Neutral, per the instructions shown in a previous message.

You need to be very careful when buying a car for towing, since seemingly small differences can make a model towable or not. For example, a different engine or other option may use a different transmission and change the towability. Use the Dinghy Towing Guide from Motorhome Magazine or FMCA Magazine to find towable models.
Here is one source: http://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:21 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmar Newbi View Post
Hello all, my user name Newmar Newbi doesn't say it all. not only am I new to Newmar I am new to Class A's. Quite a jump from where I once was with a 15 ft Scotty highlander. I have been retired for some time and my wife has only recently made up her mind to do the same.

We haven't even picked up our coach, and we have a potential toad Problem. We almost completed a trade this after noon (our 2015 Subaru crosstreck, for a 2011 Jeep liberty), we are supposed to pick up the Jeep tomorrow, and I plan to drive it out of state next week to pick up the MH, have a tow bar and break system installed installed. The problem is in researching my new toys further I came across a rather official looking "MANUAL" for the 2011 Jeep Liberty that says that "to tow this vehicle the drive shaft must be removed". I find a lot of post by Liberty owners who have pulled then with motor-homes. Several have written of the procedure for towing step by step but NONE have mentioned removing the drive shaft.

Now my question: Have any of you towing a Jeep Liberty, specifically a 2011 had to remove the drive shaft, to do so? I did ha a service manager at a Chrysler Jeep Dealership tell me that all Jeep with4 wheel drive can be towed flat, and that the ones that are only 2 wheel drive must be towed on a dolly.

I am not sure How well I am going to sleep tonight.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Newmar Newbi almost. Total confused
Are you sure it's a Liberty 4X4 and not a Nitro 4X4
The Nitro looks very similar to the Liberty but has no Transfer case disconnect.
Look at the 4wheel drive control switch, is there a pen hole with "N" near it. If so then it's Flat towable if you don't have that for the transfer case then you my friend are SOL.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:41 AM   #7

Are we missing something when we say the two wheel drive version has to be dollied?
Just placing it on a dolly is not alleviating the problem. The drive shaft will still need to be disconnected.

That being the case, why the need for the dolly?
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:18 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
Are we missing something when we say the two wheel drive version has to be dollied?
Just placing it on a dolly is not alleviating the problem. The drive shaft will still need to be disconnected.

That being the case, why the need for the dolly?
I concur...if it's 2wd but rwd, then the drive shaft may be a problem. You would have to place it in N to be pulled on a dolly or by a tow truck. ALL Jeeps that are 4wd MUST be towed flat with the transfer case in N. I have a 2014 Wrangler JKU btw.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:10 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
The RWD model can be flat towed with a lube pump. remco
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:24 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here is the FAT and SKINNY right from the Owners manual:

RECREATIONAL TOWING (BEHIND MOTORHOME, ETC.)
Towing This Vehicle Behind Another Vehicle
Towing Condition
Wheel OFF the Ground
Two-Wheel Drive Models
Flat Tow NONE
Front
NOT ALLOWED
Rear OK
NOT ALLOWED

Four-Wheel Drive Models
See Instructions
Transmission in PARK
Transfer case in NEUTRAL (N)
Tow in forward direction

On Trailer ALL OK OK 5

Look it up on the Jeep web site. The Owners section. 4X4 Liberty is Flat Towable when Transfer placed in Neutral.

Tags
tow