Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2022, 01:09 PM   #1

Significance of Towed Vehicle Weight

Our motorhome is a Class A (Tiffin Allegro Open Road with Ford V-10). We are trying to choose a toad vehicle that can haul three retriever-sized dogs, four in a pinch. We have been considering a mid-size truck with crew cab and 6 foot bed, but the combinations that we come up with are pushing 4500 to 4800 lbs by the time a camper top and three dog crates are added. The towing weight limit for the Class A is 5000 #. Will towing a vehicle that is near the maximum rated weight of 5000 # put undue wear and tear on a MH with the Ford V-10? I know, should have found a diesel pusher. Is it reasonable to tow a 4800 # vehicle if weight limit is 5000#. Our plan would include detaching and driving the two vehicles separately (no towing) when driving through mountains.
jdmikeska is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2022, 01:21 PM   #2

We tow our 13 Explorer with our 12 Georgetown. The Explorer weighs 4500 lbs by itself and around 4800lbs with 4 bikes and a kayak.
My 16 Ram 1500 crew cab with 5’7” bed weighs 5500lbs. Nothing added to it but a soft bed cover.
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 01:24 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I like our little 2010 Ford Ranger for a toad. Seats 4 in a pinch, 6 foot box, simple to hook up and pulls great. 5 spd manual 2x4 extended cab.

It scales in at 3500 pounds empty, and right around 4000 pounds with the dry box, 2 bicycles and the tow bar.

I use a ReadyBrake braking system now and like it much better than the old BB system I used before.

If you put a light cap on, you would still be well under 4000 pounds I'm thinking.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 01:32 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Our toad set-up..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0127.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	379630  
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Old 10-26-2022, 01:38 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Norm,
You need to straighten the jet out, or the coach won't track straight.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 03:26 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You'll know it's there behind you, but you're within your limits, so no reason not to tow it. Curiosity question, what model year is your Open Road? Viewing on my phone and don't see a signature line if you have one.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 03:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmikeska View Post
Our motorhome is a Class A (Tiffin Allegro Open Road with Ford V-10). We are trying to choose a toad vehicle that can haul three retriever-sized dogs, four in a pinch. We have been considering a mid-size truck with crew cab and 6 foot bed, but the combinations that we come up with are pushing 4500 to 4800 lbs by the time a camper top and three dog crates are added. The towing weight limit for the Class A is 5000 #. Will towing a vehicle that is near the maximum rated weight of 5000 # put undue wear and tear on a MH with the Ford V-10? I know, should have found a diesel pusher. Is it reasonable to tow a 4800 # vehicle if weight limit is 5000#. Our plan would include detaching and driving the two vehicles separately (no towing) when driving through mountains.
I tow a full size F-150 with my F53. It tows just like my Wrangler that is 800 lbs less. Every coach is a bit different. For instance, frame extensions will automatically be "limited" to 5Klbs even with an 8Klb hitch. I have the 22k chassis with the 6 speed and 5:38's.
I am a few hundred over my tow rating but under on my GCWR. You will definitely know it's back there but it's very doable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cat Scale 2.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	379635  
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 03:50 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Your rating is 5000 not 4800.....so
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 04:08 PM   #9

jdmikeska-

First off, welcome to iRV2!

Second, you should add a "signature" to your profile. It contains whatever info you want; most people put info about their coach there, so they don't have to type it into each message. Instructions for adding a signature are here.

Re: Towing. I have some questions:

1) What is the year and model of your Allegro Open Road?
2) In your coach somewhere is a label/sticker that lists weights, such as GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating), GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating), GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating, different values for front and rear axles), and other measured or calculated weights. Could you either post a readable photo of that label/sticker, or post the values from that label/sticker?
3) What are the trucks/vehicles you have been considering, and their trim levels?

I ask these questions because there may be other factors that could limit your tow rating to under 5,000 pounds.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 05:09 PM   #10

I think most of the mid-size trucks in 4WD to be 4 down towable are going to come in at the mid 4k pound range.

I know of one guy who went with a 2015 4WD, extended cab, 4 cyl gasser Colorado WT (work trim) in order to keep his TOAD weight down. They are probably a unicorn that would be hard to find anywhere, and they may have even discontinued that after a couple of years. Going to a Crew Cab version or almost any other configuration in that year pushed you into a heavier V6.

(Actually, you can still configure a 2022 in the extended cab, 4WD, with smaller engine. The longer bed of the extended cab may be a tad better for the dogs crates.)

The curb weight of the 2022 extended cab with 4WD comes in just under 4200 pounds, if that helps. Just not sure you will find one. The extended cab is probably something like 10% of sales, mostly fleet with 2WD. Finding a 4WD with the base 2.5L 4 cyl gasser is probably not going to be fruitful.

FYI, for 2023, the new 3rd Generation Colorado/Canyon models are rumored to come in much heavier, may push them to point where they cannot be recommended for TOAD usage, real close to the magical 5K limit a lot of MHs seem to have. If you are leaning that route, need to look to the 2015-2022 models.
Old 10-26-2022, 05:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmikeska View Post

With your game plan for mountain driving, you will be fine.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 05:35 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
Norm,
You need to straighten the jet out, or the coach won't track straight.

Mike in Colorado
Gives me lift at freeway speeds.
Old 10-26-2022, 08:33 PM   #13

Your unit was designed to tow 5,000# if within your GCVW. The only difference between towing a 4800# toad and a 3000# one is the amount of fuel you use and the length of time it takes to get to cruising speed. Might be a bit slower in the mountains too. The chassis doesn't care. All it wants is fuel, lubrication and cooling. If you supply those three, just hookup, navigate and enjoy the view.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 09:04 PM   #14
NXR

Significance of Towed Vehicle Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco
I tow a full size F-150 with my F53. It tows just like my Wrangler that is 800 lbs less. Every coach is a bit different. For instance, frame extensions will automatically be "limited" to 5Klbs even with an 8Klb hitch.
Uh, no. The difference between the GCWR and the GVWR determines your unrestricted towing capacity.

The difference between the GCWR and your motorhome's as-weighed completely empty weight determines the absolute maximum you could ever tow safely, and then only if your completely empty motorhome was being pulled by a tow truck.

REV loves to put 8,000 lb rated hitches on motorhomes that could not safely pull 8,000 lbs even if they were being pulled by a tow truck.

Quote:
I have the 22k chassis with the 6 speed and 5:38's.
I am a few hundred over my tow rating but under on my GCWR. You will definitely know it's back there but it's very doable.
So do I. The 22K chassis has only a 4,000 lb difference between GCWR and GVWR and it has nothing to do with frame extensions. That's a Ford rating.

The only way you can pull in excess of 4,000 lbs safely is if your actual as-weighed weight with everyone and everything is less than 22,000 lbs. So if your actual weight does not exceed 21,000 lbs, yes, you can safely tow between 4,000 and 5,000 lbs.

That's because you can add the difference between GVWR and that actual weight to your flat towing weight.

This is where people will chime in with how much and for how long they've exceeded the maximum ratings and nothing bad has happened yet. Or start talking about how much engineers add in for safety margin over the official rating without understanding that those margins are to allow the rating to still be achieved after years of degradation in the product. [emoji4]

Ray

Tags
tow, towed, weight