Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2019, 05:04 PM   #43

Thank you both. Back to the drawing board.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2019, 08:56 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
That said, any manual tranny can be towed 4-down, just as it can be towed on a dolly.
That is not a true statement.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:30 PM   #45

Yep I would tow my 2014 911 6 speed all day long 4 down. But It’s a beauty and I don’t want it rock dinged. I tow a mini paceman Cooper six speed four down for thousands and thousands of miles and never had a problem. I can’t think of a single car if it’s a manual transmission that can’t be towed in neutral 4-down.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:04 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
That is not a true statement.
Well, looks like the gauntlet's been tossed across the bike path

Please explain and use an example.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:42 PM   #47

No one makes a baseplate BECAUSE IT ISN'T TOWABLE! Hope your friend can afford a new transmission
Old 08-15-2019, 03:04 PM   #48

I recently completed getting my toad set up roadworthy, having gone through many of the same research for months before. One resource that was quite helpful was the dinghy guides such as the ones at this site:

dinghy towing guides | MotorHome Magazine

Some vehicles simply CANNOT be flat towed. This is a critical issue to flush out.

Also I would suggest looking up your tow bar manual online from the manufacturer. I had a used one given to me by a friend and was missing some items, a Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000 and the manufacturer had a full installation manual with diagrams which made it pretty easy to figure out how all the safety cables/chains/breakaway, etc. are supposed to connect.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:06 PM   #49

Texas Boomers Club
Steering wheel unlocked!
Glensouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 03:09 PM   #50

Texas Boomers Club
Some standard transmissions are not towable without damaging the transmission. I would do some research.
Glensouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:05 PM   #51

If you check I don't think the steering has a lock on it anymore
ghall7876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:41 PM   #52

Only problem I see in pic is the downward angle of tow bar. Should be about as level as you can get.
Telephonebil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:07 PM   #53

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
4 down bmw

I tow a Mini Cooper S (BMW, but lighter) manual trans. I use a base plate, blue ox, brake buddy with break-a-way, safety chains and magnetic lights.
Just adding the base plate voided any warranty I had left according to BMW. But it’s 11 years old.
All that stuff listed is required by law to travel wherever I want to and not worry about being sued should I be involved in an accident. Better save than sorry.
Good luck with your project.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:15 PM   #54

Towing angle

I would suspect you don't plan to tow with this truck. The tow angle is way off and could lead to damage with a quick stop. It would be best to have the tow bar level as near as possible. This can be done with an adjustable hitch on the MH.
bob1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:32 PM   #55

Towing a manual BMW

It's really great to see your post. There was a post years ago with someone towing 4 down on a two seater BMW. Stearing was unlocked ie key in the ignition port and shifter in neutral. He had a custom connection made for his also. It's likely best to run the engine at least every 500 miles or at each rest stop along your way just to be certain the transmission oil gets circulated. I bought an older 2008 328i hardtop convertible for this purpose but have yet to create a custom hitch. Would like to use the pulling connection and create a twin for it on the other side of the bumper frame. It's not a heavy car with all aluminum frame; it just lacks other connection points from which to carry the load. Good luck and please post your results. Just save travels to daytime when you can avoid thrown retreads. Low ground clearance could be a problem for the Toad.
If you are hard wiring the tail lights to run from the coach don't forget to use isolation diodes, and if you do, its another experiment as BMW has so many ways to monitor lights that are out that there may be some interference with the system monitor. I have yet to delve into that process so I'm sorry I cannot be of better assistance.
Geosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:34 PM   #56

Unlocked, unless you want to get an alignment every-time you tow 4 down.
StageCoachDr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing