Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2021, 01:58 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Small Vehicles Approved For Flat Towing? Recomendations?

New at Motor-home ownership and traveling in an RV, Our Newmar 3014 Arrives next week, we need to find a small budget friendly vehicle for Flat towing. Can you experienced travelers please offer some suggestions on specific vehicle options, things to consider, etc? I understand we need a 4 wheel drive, I've been told a Transfer Active Drive. Thanks!
Kewpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2021, 06:06 PM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
Reportedly a Subaru Crosstrek manual transmission.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 07:14 PM   #3

4 wheel drive is not really needed. Not all 4WD are flat towable so do your homework before your purchase.

You can review these through the link as an aid.

https://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/

You won’t find a Subaru Crosstrek in the list but it is flat towable and a good choice.
Vongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 07:52 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewpie View Post
New at Motor-home ownership and traveling in an RV, Our Newmar 3014 Arrives next week, we need to find a small budget friendly vehicle for Flat towing. Can you experienced travelers please offer some suggestions on specific vehicle options, things to consider, etc? I understand we need a 4 wheel drive, I've been told a Transfer Active Drive. Thanks!
I'm not sure why you need a 4 WD. Do you off road? or are you thinking because of the neutral in the transfer case.

I did not buy it for this particular purpose, in fact I did not even think it was flat towable, but I bought a 2018 Ford Fusion Hybrid 2 years ago with 34k miles on it for $14,500. Reading the manual it gives specific instructions. Never had a manual that had a chapter "how to tow behind a motorhome" I'm having the baseplate, wiring and brakes put in now. The last 3 years I towed a 2 wheel enclosed trailer with my Harley in it, but that's getting to be a bit much so switching to a toad

If you want to go really cheap, and good luck finding one, a 2001 to 2007 Saturn flat tows. First trip to Mexico I bought one and flat towed it all over the place, until the transmission went, unrelated to towing. The differential bearings go bad and then the gears rub through the side of the transaxle and leak like hell. Had that rebuilt in Mexico for $600. Sold it last year and as far as I know it's still going.

And then there is always the Jeep. But your talking $$$$
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 08:13 PM   #5

Chevy Sonics with automatic transmission are good towed cars as is the Chevy Spark with manual transmission. If you want the flexibility to go off road then get a Jeep Wrangler.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 08:14 PM   #6
D20

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a Honda CRV and it makes a good toad. Must be 2014 or earlier to be flat towable.
Old 06-10-2021, 11:45 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Ford C-MAX is a great towable and is very fun to drive. I have a 2016 Energi -- a plugin hybrid that will go about 20 miles on battery alone before the gas engine kicks in. I fill it with gas about twice a year.

I don't think it's necessary for the regular C-MAX hybrid, but to tow the Energi plugin version, you need to pull one fuse in the engine compartment.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:16 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I kind of like what I see in Ford's brand new Maverick, but from all I've read about it so far nothing has been said about whether it is flat-towable.

Has anyone else seen anything about that?
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:45 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
The Honda CRV is flat-towable through the 2014 models! We love ours!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 12:04 PM   #10

One thing to keep in mind about towing small vehicles is that they may have very low ground clearance. That is important because your tow bar generally needs to be level so you may need to use a drop down hitch adapter because the hitch on your motorhome might be too far off the ground. Depending on the geometry, the drop hitch may drag on the ground when entering/exiting some steeper driveways. Small vehicles are great though because they are generally light weight.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:04 PM   #11

Before getting too far into this I think we need a few questions answered, like small and budget friendly? Used or new, if used how old?

Having said that I am currently shopping for a small, light, cheap TOAD. We currently have my wife's 2017 Jeep Cherokee Overland edition set up for TOAD duty, which works ok, but at about 4,300 pounds is a little heavier than I would like, also about 1/3 of my trips are solo trips, also my wife often flies one of both ways and meets me on trips, therefor a second cheaper TOAD is on our list.

For this I am trying to stay under $7,500, preferably under $5,000, with a weight under 2,800 pounds, and less than 10-12 years old, with either an automatic or manual transmission (automatic slightly preferred).

My prime candidates so far are: Chevy Spark (manual only), Chevy Sonic (automatic), Ford Fiesta (70 mph max speed, manual only), Honda Fit ( 65mph max tow speed, manual only), Fiat 500 (manual only), Mini Cooper (manual only, some model years notorious for engine failures) There are others that just don't make my list for one reason or another.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 02:04 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
We had a Hyundai Veloster 6 speed that we towed for 2 years. A fun sports car to drive.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 02:32 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
That is just what I was looking for when shopping for my first toad. I cam across a 2009 Honda Fit in the site classifieds. Automatic and 4 down towable. It came equipped with a Blue Ox baseplate, tow bar and all cables. Great toad and very light. You will have to shop but they are out there.
oldnavycdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 09:18 AM   #14

I tow a 2007 New Beetle with a manual. 2,800#. Tows great, cross country 3 times. Have about 18,000 towing miles so far. I use a roadmaster tow bar and a brake Buddy braking system. They are cheap on the used market comparatively.

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, tow