Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2016, 05:43 PM   #1

Smart Brake LLC

Hi, just looking for a brake toad system for my 2016 wrangler sahara. With my internet search i found the SMART BRAKE LLC system, is it still in the market and what do you think about that product. I love the easy way to attach the toad to the MH but to install the kit to the toad seems to be a pita. Any thought would help.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2016, 06:34 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Smart Brake looks OK, I have not had any experience with them. I am very happy with my Brake Buddy system. Only extra "work" to hook it up is pop the unit onto the floor, plug power cord into cigar lighter, hook up break-away wires, do a couple test applications and all done. You have to find a place for the unit when unhooked, but no big deal. The thing I really like is it is really easy to transfer to other toads. I even lent it out to my brother once before he had one.
Hope that helps, and good on you for getting the brake system. I have met a few people that say "I don't need it because I can hardly feel the toad back there" Just hope they don't get in an accident and the cops see no brake system! Insurance would not be happy either!
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:54 PM   #3

Check this out: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/a-sim...ed-320935.html
Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Look nice but the last reply scares me a little bit.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF1957 View Post
Youtube has a lot of great videos on the Ready Brake Elite which is what I'm using on my 2016 Wrangler. There are many choices and as many opinions on towing products. I purchased mine from Amazon with the thought that I could painless return it if I did not like the quality or engineering. Wranglers are very easy to install the Ready Brake braking system on.

Happy trails
Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:33 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
I use a US Gear tow brake that is pretty much the same system as the Smart Brake it looks like. The Smart Brake looks to use a standard brake control in the coach and the US Gear system uses their own control in the coach. My system works well and has nothing required for daily hook up. I installed the system myself and would agree it is a PIA on the toad side. You should make sure you have room to fit the components first thing. In my small toad it was a tight fit all over.
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 12:45 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
If you're looking for simplicity to hook up. Check out the SMI Air Force One.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:20 PM   #8

The LLC Smartbrake was at the top of my list, but I talked myself out of it due to the amount of install.

I went with the RViBrake3. Take a look at the pictures in second post of this thread http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/jk-wr...er-321544.html
tripntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:02 AM   #9

Thanks for all your answers, as i can resume there is in fact about three popular systems :
1-Smart brake or competitors
2-Brakebuddy or comp.
3-NSA (surge brake) or comp.
Am i right ?

Thanks
Old 01-03-2017, 10:20 AM   #10

Do yourself a favor and get the real thing, not a knock off

Attached Images

Old 01-03-2017, 11:39 AM   #11

[QUOTE=August West;3400199]Do yourself a favor and get the real thing, not a knock off

Sorry but i find mine and it will be the Brakebuddy Stealth, why ?
Because you just have one hookup wire (brake-a-way integrated) and most important for me who live up north with cold and snow, the main unit is in the toad. Third you can adjust the toad brake sensibility inside the MH.
Thanks all for your help.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF1957 View Post

That was one of the reasons I took off our Ready Brute and went with a Roadmaster bar and M&G brake system. I was concerned with the toad brakes being applied while exhaust brake was used on long down hills. Probably just an adjustment issue but I was uncomfortable with it.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake