Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2019, 05:59 PM   #1
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
SMI Air Force One Concern

I just recently converted an SMI Stay N Play to an Air Force One with a kit I purchased awhile ago (Long story why it took me so long)

The Toad pedal actuator, vacum line connection, remote brake light indicator and breakaway switch were already installed and working with the old Stay N Play.

The Air Force One system appears to be working with one concern.

After release of the coach brake pedal, the toad brake pedal SLOWLY releases over a 15-20 second period, leaving the toad brakes “Hanging” longer than seems required.

Is this normal? The Stay N Play system would release the toad pedal immediately.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2019, 06:09 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
That does not sound normal. Make sure the air line is not kinked somewhere on the toad.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:27 PM   #3
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
That does not sound normal. Make sure the air line is not kinked somewhere on the toad.
Thanks I’ll recheck lines but I’m confident there are no kinks in either the line from the front of the Jeep to the Air Force one unit or from the unit to the pedal actuator. In fact I simply unplugged the actuator hose from the old one to the new one so that run has been working for many years.

It almost seems like there should be a release of pressure that isn’t happening fast enough when the coach pedal is released.

Old 04-07-2019, 08:51 PM   #4

The AFO control box has an air exhaust port on it. I would make sure that it is not blocked and that you can hear air exhaust from it after releasing the brakes.
Bikinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:34 AM   #5
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikinjim View Post
The AFO control box has an air exhaust port on it. I would make sure that it is not blocked and that you can hear air exhaust from it after releasing the brakes.
I have the older Non-Demco Air Force one. Do you know where this exhaust port is located?

TIA.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarpusher View Post
I have the older Non-Demco Air Force one. Do you know where this exhaust port is located?

TIA.
The only experience I have is with the current AFO. On the current AFO, the exhaust port is on the left hand side of the control box.
Bikinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:49 AM   #7
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikinjim View Post
The only experience I have is with the current AFO. On the current AFO, the exhaust port is on the left hand side of the control box.
Thanks. I spoke briefly with Demco this morning. The older units have the exhaust port inside the box. They confirmed that my current operation is NOT correct.

Expecting a call back with further details.

Old 04-08-2019, 10:55 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You may want to check how you installed the two one way vacuum valves in the line running from AF1 to the toad brake vacuum line and the one installed in the toad brake vacuum line. I sounds like one could be installed wrong.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:17 AM   #9
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Working!

Thanks to all those who offered suggestions.

I't working as intended now.

I worked with SMI over the phone and via email and we finally determined that the air lines at the coach connection were reversed.

Ironically, that is the ONLY part of the job I "farmed out" to the local Frieghliner service shop. I had mounted and installed everything else but didn't feel qualified to cut into the air hoses on the chassis.

They had two T's to put in and they reversed them.

Moral of the story, if you want it done right (even if you think you don't know what you're doing), do it yourself.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:45 PM   #10
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
The new setup.

A couple shots of the new TOAD setup.

After 7 years, my old towbar seemed a little schetchy and I had never upgraded my 12 year old SMI Stay N Play braking system to the Air Force One I bought three years ago.

Brand new Blue Ox Ascent towbar, SMI Air Force One Brake system, all new cables and wiring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05284DCD-DDC8-4260-B1E0-AE2B63E1DFF9.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	421.6 KB
ID:	241412   Click image for larger version

Name:	45FB248C-C36B-4168-BDD0-DFA684EB256B.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	630.4 KB
ID:	241414  

Old 04-10-2019, 10:52 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The SMI unit you mount on the coach side has three ports. Before I installed mine, I wrote with a yellow marker what port was used for what. That way, there was no confusion while laying on your back under the coach, connecting the airlines. Maybe your installer needs a yellow marker!

I've installed the coach unit on three different coaches over the past fifteen years. I like to cover the airline, from the unit to the bumper with the split wrap plastic protection (available at Harbor Freight). I you feel comfortable, you might want to inspect the installers routing and slip some split wrap over it for protection. A lot of the airlines on your coach are already covered with the split wrap.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:27 AM   #12
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
The SMI unit you mount on the coach side has three ports. Before I installed mine, I wrote with a yellow marker what port was used for what. That way, there was no confusion while laying on your back under the coach, connecting the airlines. Maybe your installer needs a yellow marker!

I've installed the coach unit on three different coaches over the past fifteen years. I like to cover the airline, from the unit to the bumper with the split wrap plastic protection (available at Harbor Freight). I you feel comfortable, you might want to inspect the installers routing and slip some split wrap over it for protection. A lot of the airlines on your coach are already covered with the split wrap.
Thanks.

The Freightliner service center actually did apply that wrap to the lines they put in. Very nice looking installation, just wrong.

After seeing that wrap, I went back and did the run to the bumper that I had installed myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1685.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	324.1 KB
ID:	241561  

Tags
air