Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2019, 02:50 PM   #1

SMI Stay-In-Play brake system

has anyone used the smi stay-in-play brake sys for gas motorhomes? my roadmaster sys addabrake has seemed to die after 10 years of use. Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2019, 02:55 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have been using the SMI Stay-in-Play for 10 years now. I plug in my tow lights and it is ready to go. I highly recommend it.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:57 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
I don’t have one but have considered it. Many have them and the reviews are good. What exactly are you wanting to know? You can go to E-trailer and search for the product as it applies to your car. The units are the same no matter what vehicle they are installed in.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:59 PM   #4

Used an older Stay n Play that I bought used with my previous gas coach and also used it with a previously owned DP for about 10 years total. Have a new Stay N Play Duo that I am using with my current DP and have had no issues with either. Get the sensitivity set properly and they do what they are supposed to do.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:20 PM   #5

I went to good old e-trailer and tried to talk to someone, but I failed to write part nbr down the lady was lost about asking questions. They didn't have a phone prompt to ask questions just take orders. I guess I'll get part nbr and call back or just order on amazon and probably save $$. Dave
Old 02-11-2019, 04:25 PM   #6

Had Stay N Play installed as part of our delivery, and have been using it for the last (almost now) 4 years and 32,000 miles. It makes towing so easy.......

I have mine set to be a bit “less sensitive” so that I don’t get unwanted / un needed braking applied to the toad in “normal” braking / stopping scenarios...... remember, the Stay N Play requires brake activation in the RV plus AND the sensor in the toad must feel a forward momentum shift that is typical under braking, so that is a very good thing on downgrades when you are not applying the brakes in the RV but using the engine / tranny to control your speed (until you need the brakes to further slow).

It wasn’t cheap, but worth every penny in simplicity.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:39 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by allegro1x View Post
I went to good old e-trailer and tried to talk to someone, but I failed to write part nbr down the lady was lost about asking questions. They didn't have a phone prompt to ask questions just take orders. I guess I'll get part nbr and call back or just order on amazon and probably save $$. Dave

I would try again they are usually well prepared. Ask for someone versed in flat towing that may help.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:18 AM   #8

Available Stay n Play

If someone is interested, I have a factory refurbished Stay n Play that was never re-installed. I bought a newer RV and pickup that had a different braking system already installed.

I have all the paper work up in the attic and can get it down and give you details. I'm recovering from a week of chemo, so I don't have all the details handy, but can get them.

I had used it from 2004 to 2009 with no issues, and then we stopped RV'ing.
In the interim I thought I'd send it back to get updated. Make an offer and it's yours.

Damian Neeld
Carmel, IN
dneeld@fullerengr.com
2003 Travel Supreme
dneeld52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:00 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I installed a Stay and Play in my 2017 Honda Fit. A bit tight to get the control box to fit under the hood but absolutely love the ease of using it. Flip the switch and it's ready to go. Nothing to remove and store in the back of the Fit when not in use.
TriGlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:51 PM   #10

the refurb smi sounds good. I also, found a roadmaster replacement model 9700 that might work. My 10 year old model has been discontinued. probably decide after I get home. Dave

Tags
brake