Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2020, 08:06 AM   #1

Snow and Ice Towing Toad

Short version of a longer story is that I put my brand new Verona 36 vsb in a new (to me) storage facility last fall, last month I was asked to move it out of the way for a horse trailer to moved out since I was blocking the door. To my surprise, they had parked a Class A next to me and I only had 2" of clearance on each side. I was able to pull my RV out, but no way to get it lined up perfectly to back it back in so I drove it home leaving my Silverado at the unit. Since I have a pad next to my shed, I was prepared to winter it at home.

To the point of my story, I drove my CRV toad back to the storage unit the next day, hooked the tow bar to the truck and pulled the toad home. I have done this a few times before on dry pavement. Storage is 45 minutes away and it started to snow on my way home, very heavy. The main roads were clear but my county road was snow covered. So I slowed way down to 5 MPH made the turn onto my road and the toad and truck fishtailed. Total damage to truck, toad and tow bar $5,000! As soon as I hit the snow, I had no braking control and slide sideways into a fish tail.

My warning to you is never pull on snow or ice.
J W Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2020, 08:17 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I'm guessing you didn't have a toad braking system or at least didn't hook it up? Could have probably happened anyway but the chances are increased by the toad pushing the tow vehicle especially since your were using the lighter tow vehicle at the time.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:22 AM   #3

Yep, you had enough traction to turn the direction of the truck but there wasn't enough traction on the toad's front wheels to turn them to follow the truck so the toad kept going straight pushing the light rear end of your pickup with it. Sorry for your costly lesson but hopefully others will learn from it.

I don't think a toad braking system would have had any effect on this situation per the OP description.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:50 AM   #4

I did not hook up brake buddy so I guess we will never know for sure. But I have gone over that in my head many times. Could that have avoided this mishap and my conclusion is no. When I sensed loss of control my first move was to gently add acceleration to pull the truck forward and straighten out the toad. This did not work since there was no traction. This was confirmed when I got out of the truck and found the pavement to be snow covered ice underneath. Everything of course was in slow motion as I moved sideways toward the ditch, last course of action was to turn into the direction of the slide and apply turn brake to truck which again did nothing.

I believe the conditions were such that the accident could not be avoided once I entered the turn and lost traction. I should have come to a complete stop, unhooked the toad, and come back for it later once the road conditions allowed. This would have had to happen on the dry pavement before turning onto the slick road.
J W Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:22 AM   #5

JWCook, so sorry that this happened. I don't know if this is an option for you, but I got these for TOAD and Motorhome after we had family move to Denver. They are just in case we need to get to safety if we find ourselves in snow/ice situation enroute.

https://autosock.us/

Tags
toad, tow, towing