Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2019, 07:31 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Sonic TOAD

Good morning everyone!

We just got a 2015 Chevy Sonic hatchback automatic (note: this is not an RS model) to use as a TOAD.

A couple of questions come to mind due to the lack of clarity in the owners manual. The manual says to remove the DLIS fuse first. It also says to put the ignition in Acc and shift the transmission to neutral. But it does not say to then put the ignition back in Off. This particular model has a way to insert the key into a small hole to the right front of the gear shift, and with the transmitter in Park and the ignition off shift to Neutral. So what seems to me to be correct would be to have the ignition Off and shift the transmission to Neutral using that slot. But then does that fuse need to be removed?

Does the odometer roll over as you tow? Don't see a mention of that anywhere.

Thanks!!
harvnlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2019, 07:39 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvnlois View Post
Good morning everyone!

We just got a 2015 Chevy Sonic hatchback to use as a TOAD.

A couple of questions come to mind due to the lack of clarity in the owners manual. The manual says to remove the DLIS fuse first. It also says to put the ignition in Acc and shift the transmission to neutral. But it does not say to then put the ignition back in Off. This particular model has a way to insert the key into a small hole to the right front of the gear shift, and with the transmitter in Park and the ignition off shift to Neutral. So what seems to me to be correct would be to have the ignition Off and shift the transmission to Neutral using that slot. But then does that fuse need to be removed?

Thanks!!
Key should be on acc so wheel will turn. If off wheel usually locks.
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:04 AM   #3

Mine is a 2016 hatchback automatic so it could be different.

The odometer on mine counts all the miles while it is towed. i am FT and keep track of the mileage so I know when the oil change and such is really due. Of course the odometer will have the miles of tire wear right.

You are towing 4-down? If so what will you use for a braking system? I have a Patriot and to get power to the plug, I could never get a clear answer about what all that fuse did, even calling the Chevy help line number. I was told it was for protection of the system - but not really what that meant and logically their rather vague answers did not all make sense. But it does cut out the dashboard and such when in ACC along with whatever else it may be doing. So I have to keep the key in ON not just ACC - obviously not with the motor running just the key in that position. My line from the RV does do a battery charge but I also found I need to make sure everything is turned off - radio, fan etc. And when I stop in the middle of the day I don't just do the 10 min run the manual says, but leave it run while I walk the dog and grab a sandwich, etc to help recharge the battery.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:23 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
A little more research brought me to this site. Still does not explain DLIS, but pretty much answers my question.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...ujB1iqtibHEyYT
harvnlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:46 AM   #5

DLIS is "Discrete Logic Ignition Switch". Pulling that fuse removes all the power from the ignition switch. Lets you leave the key on, but nothing powers up.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:18 PM   #6

On my Sonic Toad, as long as I leave the key in ACC and remove the DLIS fuse the odometer does not increment. I think it is more to do with leaving it in RUN that causes the odometer to increment. The DLIs fuse doesn’t seem to do anything important except maybe preserve battery life.

We did found with our RViBrake 3 that you must have the key in ACC as otherwise the air cylinder is continually replenished and any braking is very very severe. Any pedal pushing TOAD braking will be the same.

It is important to run the engine at the start of the day and also if you stop for more than 10 minutes. This is to lubricate the transmission. You will be up for an expensive transmission rebuild if you don’t.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:35 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I tow a 16 Sonic LTZ hatchback with 1.4L turbo engine and automatic transmission. My car doesn't accrue miles, when being towed.

I start the car and run the transmission through the gears. I then put it in neutral and leave it there. Next, I shut off the engine. You can't remove the key. I replaced the fuse with a fused switch so I don't have to reach up under the dash to get the fuse out. Prior to starting off in the morning, I start and run the engine for a few minutes. I also run it at fuel stops, around 400 miles.

BTW, if your car is running in neutral and, depending on how the door lock command is configured, the car doors could lock after you close the door. This could be embarrassing, especially if you're parked at a gas pump and don't have a spare key!
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:54 AM   #8

I just purchased a 2020 Sonic LT to set up as my toad. I got a smoking hot deal on it. Only a few thousand more than a used one with over 44,000 miles. Now I have to get it rigged and learn how to pull it ��
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A509C4A2-2260-4151-9E01-E578DD62E402.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	298.6 KB
ID:	268834  
jrcorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 04:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvnlois View Post
Good morning everyone!

The manual says to remove the DLIS fuse first. It also says to put the ignition in Acc and shift the transmission to neutral. But it does not say to then put the ignition back in Off.

Thanks!!

Leave the ignition in ACC (steering wheel stays unlocked) and remove the fuse (battery doesn't drain).

Depending on how often you tow a switch is much more convenient. See photo of my setup.

We towed our 2013 over 35,000 miles absolutely trouble free then sold it to someone else to continue use as a toad.

Great toad!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0227.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	560.2 KB
ID:	268859  
emcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 07:59 PM   #10

So what braking system are you using with your Sonic? What tow bar?
Old 12-12-2019, 08:23 PM   #11

I've flat towed a 2016 Sonic LT for almost 3 years now. Removing the DLIS fuse does a couple of things for you:
1 - Times out the ACC function if you leave the ignition switch in ACC to remove power to radio, etc after about 15 minutes to not run down your battery and NOT accumulate miles on the odometer.
2 - Allows you to override the logic interlock to turn the Ignition switch to the OFF position and remove the key without placing the transmission in Park.

My Sonic (and every Sonic I have seen) does not have a steering wheel lock.

So my procedure to flat tow the Sonic is:

Remove the DLIS fuse and put it in the glove compartment, never to be reinstalled unless I sell the car.
Start the Sonic and drive it as necessary to put behind the MH and connect it for towing.
Place the transmission in neutral, turn the ignition off and remove the key.
Lock the doors and tow away.

When done towing, disconnect the Sonic, place the gearshift in Park and secure car as normal.

No fuse switch, no standing on my head to insert/remove fuses, life is good.

And no towed mileage accumulated on my Sonic.

If necessary (like for this weekend) I can fold the rear seats down and pack that Sonic with whatever I need to carry to my destination. Right now it's loaded with two 6 foot folding tables, 9 folding chairs, two easy-up canopies, and a 26 quart compressor run fridge/freezer cooler.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I didn't buy the Sonic as a toad (purchased 9 months before the MH) but it has worked out as a great toad as well as a great daily driver. Replaced the front tires at 60K on the odometer and now at almost 80K on the odometer the rear tires are getting close to needing replacing. There's probably close to 15K additional towed miles.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcorvette View Post
So what braking system are you using with your Sonic? What tow bar?
At 2700 lbs the Sonic is not required to have a braking system in most states but the Invisibrake system is my choice.

As a cheap guy I have no use for $1000 dollar tow bars with sliding/locking arms so I just went with the tried and true 5K rated Reese sub-$100 tow bar - works fine for me and I can easily connect it to the coach in one or two tries - easier than backing up a truck to connect a trailer because the hitch is in front of you.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 05:50 AM   #13

We also just purchased a 2020 Sonic RS Sedan auto and would greatly appreciate any info on setups and towing experience with the 19-20 Sonics.
Old 12-30-2019, 06:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by surcy View Post
We also just purchased a 2020 Sonic RS Sedan auto and would greatly appreciate any info on setups and towing experience with the 19-20 Sonics.
Ours is getting rigged next week. We are going with a Blue Ox system and a Play-in-Stay braking system. We chose that because our friends have the same Sonic and that’s what they use. They really like it and the Sonic is very easy to tow. Be sure to get aa switch to disable the fuse that is required on the Sonic. That way you don’t have to pull it out every time!

Tags
toad