Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2019, 10:17 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The odometer on mine counts all the miles while it is towed. i am FT and keep track of the mileage so I know when the oil change and such is really due. Of course the odometer will have the miles of tire wear right.

Quote:
But it does cut out the dashboard and such when in ACC along with whatever else it may be doing. So I have to keep the key in ON not just ACC

Ignition On instead of AC causes the odometer to run. The solution is to install an unswitched power outlet for your braking system, e.g. wire a 12v outlet direct to the battery. Or get one of those 12v extensions with alligator clips on one end and use that to power the brake unit.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2019, 10:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcorvette View Post
Ours is getting rigged next week. We are going with a Blue Ox system and a Play-in-Stay braking system. We chose that because our friends have the same Sonic and that’s what they use. They really like it and the Sonic is very easy to tow. Be sure to get aa switch to disable the fuse that is required on the Sonic. That way you don’t have to pull it out every time!
Or just pull the fuse and leave it out as described above.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 10:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by surcy View Post
We also just purchased a 2020 Sonic RS Sedan auto and would greatly appreciate any info on setups and towing experience with the 19-20 Sonics.
Procedure is in your Owners Manual. With a key ignition nothing has changed. If you got a push button start model there are 2 more fuses to pull.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:00 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee View Post
Leave the ignition in ACC (steering wheel stays unlocked) and remove the fuse (battery doesn't drain).

Depending on how often you tow a switch is much more convenient. See photo of my setup.

We towed our 2013 over 35,000 miles absolutely trouble free then sold it to someone else to continue use as a toad.

Great toad!
emcee
We just purchased a 2013 sonic for a toad and I am aware of the DLIS fuse needing to be removed and we're planning on installing the switch as you did.

Can you tell me, which fuse is it? How did you find out which one is the DLIS as we have the same year.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDiesel View Post
emcee
We just purchased a 2013 sonic for a toad and I am aware of the DLIS fuse needing to be removed and we're planning on installing the switch as you did.

Can you tell me, which fuse is it? How did you find out which one is the DLIS as we have the same year.
You can look on the fuse diagram when you remove the fuse cover plate or you can look in your owners manual.

Read post #11 in this thread to make your life easier.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:15 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
You can look on the fuse diagram when you remove the fuse cover plate or you can look in your owners manual.

Read post #11 in this thread to make your life easier.

tfryman

Thanks, I don't have the car where i can look at the fuse cover right now. Does it identify the fuse as the DLIS fuse?
Old 02-22-2020, 07:05 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDiesel View Post
emcee

From the manual:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 1.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	365.0 KB
ID:	275821  
emcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 07:39 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
emcee

Thanks for the image.
Old 02-24-2020, 03:02 PM   #23

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post

My Sonic (and every Sonic I have seen) does not have a steering wheel lock.
Our 2012 Sonic LT, which we flat tow, DOES have steering wheel lock.
Old 02-24-2020, 03:30 PM   #24

I had a 2013 auto so it may be different so read and follow the manual. As far as pulling the fuse get a Roadmaster switch which makes it easier. As far as a brake system look seriously at the RSA Ready Brute or Ready Brake system. Does not require power to be on in the Sonic.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:29 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
I had a 2013 auto so it may be different so read and follow the manual. As far as pulling the fuse get a Roadmaster switch which makes it easier. As far as a brake system look seriously at the RSA Ready Brute or Ready Brake system. Does not require power to be on in the Sonic.

Did you tow your 2013 auto with the ready brute ?
Old 09-28-2021, 09:28 PM   #26

2018 Sonic RS, automatic, keyless process to tow?

So what is the process for getting ready to tow an 18 Sonic, Automatic, keyless?
Will this work? engine running, in park, PBrake on. Put trans in neutral. Shut off engine. Next put keyless in Acc mode, by pressing start but do not step on the brake.
Remove fuses bcm1, bcm2, fuse F07 or use fuse switches. Release parking brake and it's ready to tow.
What is the reason for acc mode? to release steering wheel to turn?

With no power, make sure doors were unlocked, and windows up before starting this process.

I have this car, my flat tow installer has his doubts about having success in flat towing. We love the car, and want to tow. Help is appreciated
Boydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 06:06 AM   #27

This is the same procedure I use for our 2020 Sonic LT RS automatic with keyless (using bypass fuse switches) and have towed between 8000-10000 miles with no issues.

Additionally, you need to run the car for 5+ minutes before towing, at fuel stops and at end of trip to lubricate transmission according to the drivers manual.

Tags
toad