Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2021, 07:32 AM   #1

Speed when using a car hauler for toad?

We are thinking about switching from 4 down to a car hauler trailer setup. Main reason is that we want some vehicles that are not flat tow compatible AND I want to put my scooter/ebikes on there as well. We are going to test out how we like the trailer in a few weeks as we need to transport a car from Texas to Florida and will be renting a u-haul car hauler to pull behind our motorhome. I saw on the u-haul video the trailer has a huge sticker on it that says "55 MPH". Is that just a u-haul rule or is that the safe speed to haul a car around on a trailer? We typically drive 65-70 mph and if our max speed everywhere is going to be 55mph then maybe I'm sticking with 4-down.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2021, 07:53 AM   #2

55mph is a Uhaul rule - universally ignored.

Some states have speed limits for vehicles that are towing.

The key to any trailer is tires and bearings. Trailer tires are odd sizes. If you can buy a trailer that will take good light truck tires, you should change to those tires immediatly.

I had a car hauler with living quarters trailer. It came with 235/80r16 trailer tires. They were goodyear tires, but I still had a lot of trouble. I switched to 235/85r16 LT tires, going up in load rating when I did it, and did not have any more trouble. Buy a trailer with axles that exceed the capacity of the trailer. This will be your safety margin. Bigger axles come with biggger bearings. Inspect and grease the bearings as soon as you get the trailer home. Brakes on both axles is a good deal too.

If I was going to tow my vehicles on a trailer, I would have one buit to stronger specs. Of course, all of this makes the trailer heavier. Be sure not to exceed your towing limits.

I've been towing 4 down since I sold the car hauler trailer. I'll never go back to a trailer. I love the way my toad stays in the tracks of my camper when I make turns. If you have a big trailer, you will need a plan at every campground for getting in, out, and parking.
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:03 AM   #3

I imagine U-Haul’s 55mph speed limit is simply a CYA ploy. Just the fact that it is a rental trailer leads you believe that most users are going to be inexperienced at towing. Most won’t have any idea about tongue weight, weight distribution, or how to control sway. Slowing down their towing speed reduces U-Haul’s exposure to law suits. Every trailer tow experience will be unique to it’s load and the tow vehicle. You should have no problem maintaining 65 or 75mph towing with your motor home providing everything is set up properly.
Old 12-03-2021, 08:39 AM   #4
Commercial Member

I have a 20' tandem aluminum Featherlite trailer that we have used to haul a race car (and supporting junk) around for the last 10 years. It has been fantastic, and we have no concern whatsoever with driving at the speed limit - even 75-80 through parts of Nevada, Utah, etc.

A few (perhaps obvious) tips.

1. Keep a good eye on your tires and their condition. MANY trailer tires need to be replaced on AGE, not on the amount of tread. If the tires are more than 7-8 years old, consider replacing them. Also, be diligent at checking tire pressures.

2. After towing at freeway speeds, feel each wheel near the hub for any excessive heat. A bearing that is failing will cause more heat.

3. MOST IMPORTANTLY: Load the trailer properly. The trailer should ALWAYS have a front-weight bias and NEVER a rear-weight bias. About 10-12% of your trailer weight should be on the tongue. You'll get to know your trailer and load vehicle and this will become easier... but error on the side of too much tongue weight if you are not sure.
CoolTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:19 AM   #5

We own a trailer that we use exactly for the reason stated by the OP, we can haul a car that isn’t compliant with “4-down” requirements.

Our ATC trailer is a hybrid, with enclosed space at the front and open are on the rear for the car. 13K GVWR

We have TPMS on the trailer wheels to monitor pressure and temps. We regularly check for axle bearing looseness and tire wear.

I don’t know about the u-haul trailers, but with our personal trailer we don’t worry about the trailer limiting our speed.

Just pay attention to the axle bearing temps, wheel temps, and tire speed rating.
MemByTheMile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:36 AM   #6

I agree with CoolTech with one exception. Depending on where your trailer "lives" most of the time, I would replace tires sooner than 7 years. Tire failure is the most common problem with a loaded trailer. A friend who lives in the desert SW replaces his trailer tires every 3 years due to sun and heat exposure. Some trailer tires can be pretty low quality. I towed a 12,000# enclosed trailer for four years and had two blowouts in the first year with new 235/85/R16 Goodyears. I use TPMS, so the pressure was correct. Once I replaced them with the same size, but with commercial tires ($300/tire) no more issues. As mentioned, pay attention to tire speed rating. I ran the same speed with or without the trailer. 65 mph, however the tires were rated for 81.

I no longer have a need to tow on a trailer, but it has it advantages over towing 4 down. No wear on the vehicle, easy to back up when needed, can carry more than just the car, can be enclosed to protect from the weather, etc. My son carries an off road Jeep/Buggy and a small car in his 26'. I could be happy towing a trailer or 4 down.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:09 AM   #7

Agree with all the above, especially the concern about the quality, condition, rating of the tires.

U-Haul likely does minimal maintenance on its trailers, including wheel bearings and quality/speed rating of tires. If the trailer is "expected" to not exceed 55 mph, the tires are probably rated to reflect that limitation. Also, some states, like California, have a speed limit of 55 mph for any trailer equipped vehicle, including semi-trailers. Since U-Haul equipment is driven and often dropped off all over the nation, the warning is probably there to cover the most restrictive jurisdiction.

If you intend to pull at a speed faster than 55, I'd suggest a thorough check of the equipment, including the tire age, pressures, load range, and speed rating. Just because many ignore the U-Haul 55 mph sticker does not make it safe to do so.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Agree with all the above, especially the concern about the quality, condition, rating of the tires.

U-Haul likely does minimal maintenance on its trailers, including wheel bearings and quality/speed rating of tires. If the trailer is "expected" to not exceed 55 mph, the tires are probably rated to reflect that limitation. Also, some states, like California, have a speed limit of 55 mph for any trailer equipped vehicle, including semi-trailers. Since U-Haul equipment is driven and often dropped off all over the nation, the warning is probably there to cover the most restrictive jurisdiction.

If you intend to pull at a speed faster than 55, I'd suggest a thorough check of the equipment, including the tire age, pressures, load range, and speed rating. Just because many ignore the U-Haul 55 mph sticker does not make it safe to do so.
Your implication that U Haul just sends trailers out without inspecting and maintaining them seems way off for a large successful company.

If they did as you suggested, they would be spending more money chasing down, fixing and / or recovering, broken down equipment, then if they followed a simple service schedule.

I can't recall ever seeing a U Haul trailer with a flat tire or missing wheel, on the side of the road, in my life.

Everyone I have ever rented was in great shape.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Your implication that U Haul just sends trailers out without inspecting and maintaining them seems way off for a large successful company.

If they did as you suggested, they would be spending more money chasing down, fixing and / or recovering, broken down equipment, then if they followed a simple service schedule.

I can't recall ever seeing a U Haul trailer with a flat tire or missing wheel, on the side of the road, in my life.

Everyone I have ever rented was in great shape.
That was not my intended implication.

Minimal maintenance does not mean ignoring the wear items. It simply means that whatever protocols are established for keeping the vehicles on the road are followed, but not necessarily exceeded. Time can be a factor. I, personally, have rented from U-Haul and had a vehicle arrive from a previous rental, given a cursory inspection, and rented to me.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:55 AM   #10

I just finished a 1,900 trip pulling a U-Haul auto transport. I was surprised at what U-Haul says the trailer weighs (2,200 lbs.)....... then my Mini Cooper base model at 2,750 lbs (est.). So, I was right at 5,000 lbs. which is my towing capacity.

It is a real chore to remove the car from the trailer as there are 4 connection points, a strap for each front wheel, a chain around a sturdy component up front and one around the axle at the rear.

The car traveled well but being solo, I didn't want to put the car on the trailer by myself so my nephew helped me guide the car on at the beginning of the trip. With all the trouble doing that, I didn't want to remove the car until I got to my destination.

The only plus with a trailer was that backing up was a breeze. I brought the car to California so that I could have a base plate installed by the guy that has done three previous cars for me.

I have now found out that Roadmaster has a 3-6 month wait on parts. Blue Ox is being checked.

I don't need to switch cars so four down is the best for me.

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:58 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
IMHO…
65 MPH is about a top speed for a dolly.

I’ve had a tow dolly and hope I never own another one.
Old 12-05-2021, 04:16 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
IMHO…
65 MPH is about a top speed for a dolly.

I’ve had a tow dolly and hope I never own another one.
This thread ISN'T talking about a dolly.
Old 12-05-2021, 04:18 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I agree with CoolTech with one exception. Depending on where your trailer "lives" most of the time, I would replace tires sooner than 7 years.
Agree!!
Old 12-17-2021, 08:25 PM   #14

I had to pull my wife's GLS450 on a uhaul car hauler behind my coach from Hot Springs to Houston because she got an unrepairable flat, and we couldn't get a replacement tire in less than a week.

I was pulling at 70 on the interstate with no issues at all. Very stable.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad