Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2022, 12:47 AM   #1

Sprinter toad

I will be towing a 2015 Sprinter with a driveshaft disconnect. Looking for any experience and information on how to set the sprinter transmission and key while it is being towed.
RVandGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2022, 02:55 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum.

Here's an interesting older thread pertaining to somebody towing a 2013 that you can look through while you're waiting for others to respond.

Flat Towing the Sprinter Van

...and in this post he discusses his prep procedures with the transmission and key position ...go HERE

You may have already researched this but Roadmaster does have a base plate for it:

2015 Mercedes Sprinter -- Roadmaster Baseplate Kit 522202-5
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 02:03 PM   #3

Theroc, thanks so much for the links to previous forum discussions. This will help. I have not been able find too many articles or information for towing a sprinter.
Old 06-26-2022, 07:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVandGolf View Post
Theroc, thanks so much for the links to previous forum discussions. This will help. I have not been able find too many articles or information for towing a sprinter.
I tow a Ford F150 that has a drive shaft disconnect. Reading the link posted by theroc, I'd suggest connecting the tow bar, safety chains, electrical cord and breakaway cable, before disconnecting the driveshaft.
I reengage the drive shaft before disconnecting everything when finished towing.
Old 06-28-2022, 05:26 PM   #5

Mich F thanks for the advice. I figured that I may have to do that since never know for sure if the ground is level or not. When they installed the disconnect they mentioned disconnecting the drive shaft first would allow for the van to be moved slightly if needed to help get the tow bar connected. Making sure to be on level ground.

When you tow your truck do you put the transmission in Neutral or Park and does the key need to be left in the ignition and turned to position 1 or 2?
Old 06-28-2022, 06:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVandGolf View Post
Mich F thanks for the advice. I figured that I may have to do that since never know for sure if the ground is level or not. When they installed the disconnect they mentioned disconnecting the drive shaft first would allow for the van to be moved slightly if needed to help get the tow bar connected. Making sure to be on level ground.

When you tow your truck do you put the transmission in Neutral or Park and does the key need to be left in the ignition and turned to position 1 or 2?
I believe if you disconnect the drive shaft first, the vehicle might move slightly, or a lot, which might not work out to well. If you have the towed vehicle properly aligned behind the MH , depending on what type of towbar you're using, you should be able to extend or retract the tow bar arms to make the connection.
The procedure for getting my truck ready to tow (which could be quite different from your procedure) is to start with hooking up my towbar, safety chains, breakaway cable and electrical cable. I then go into the truck, turn on the two position off/on toggle switch for the brakes ( I have the stay n play system), with the vehicle turned on, put the transmission in neutral , turn the key all the way to the left, pull the cable to disengage the drive shaft, shift into park and leave the key in the ignition.
Old 07-08-2022, 12:12 PM   #7

Thanks for the helpful information

Tags
sprinter, toad