Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-14-2021, 04:48 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Stehl tow dolly

I have a two yr old Stehl tow dolly..( bought used ) tow a 2010 Hyundai with 17 inch tires...have straps that fit 14 to 17 inch wheels..( about 10 inches of strap left after tightening ) I tighten them as tight as they possibly can go with a rachet and socket....when I make a tight turn ( traffic light, etc ) the inside strap slides off the tire to the inside of the wheel...Don't understand why...maybe the metal tow dolly isn't turning enough in tight turns ?????
kchadw1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2021, 07:45 PM   #2

No dolly recommends tight turns.

If the steering locks, unlock it if you need to do tight turns.

Here is how Stehl Tow dolly straps look.
Can't imagine how they can slip off.

I have been towing with mine, and using the original straps for 6 years.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2021-03-14-20-41-02.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	321271
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 05:15 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
thanks...the straps I got with the used tow dolly weren't the same as you show...don't have the ring, go straight to the rachett. I will try the unlock steering wheel suggestion thank you...
Old 03-19-2021, 06:29 PM   #4

I would never use straps the lay on the top of the tread for a tow dolly.

They are for transporters and trailers where all 4 tires are tied down.
Old 03-20-2021, 11:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I would never use straps the lay on the top of the tread for a tow dolly.

They are for transporters and trailers where all 4 tires are tied down.

I've never heard that before. What's it based on?
John_Penzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 11:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Penzi View Post
I've never heard that before. What's it based on?
Statement #1 is Opinion.
Statement #2 is from observation.
Old 03-20-2021, 05:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Statement #1 is Opinion.
Statement #2 is from observation.

OK. I am replacing my adjustable straps (with the ring) that came with my master tow with a set of HD baskets, non-adjustable, no ring, from US Cargo Control.
I am way more confident in the US Cargo ones than the ones provided with the dolly just on appearance alone. Much heavier duty, better stitching and well labelled (instead of the generics provided). US Cargo sells them specifically as tow dolly basket straps as well.
John_Penzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 05:07 PM   #8

Have you ever removed the tray the tires set in? A lot of gunk gets stuck up in there.. Once a year I remove the tray, it's really heavy, and clean all the gunk out and when I put the bolt back in and tighten I leave enough slack in the bolt nut to see daylight between the washer and the bottom of the dolly.. As per a call to Stehl as to how tight to make the nylock nut. After 6 years of towing I have the only problem we had was the welds in the fenders breaking, that's a whole nother story.. Have since sold it last year and started flat towing.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 04:24 PM   #9

Looking at buying a Stehl dolly from a private party. Does this brand have a center pivot or does it rely on the vehicle wheels to turn?
GlenninTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 05:31 PM   #10

Center pivot. I have one.
Old 04-07-2021, 05:59 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have had two of them over the years....biggest problem I've had is tire pressure...which is my own fault....Having a problem now with the one I have ....the straps keep coming off of the inside wheel in turns...Haven't figured out the reason why yet...I plan on taking the center pin out and removing the turning tray to check for dirt ....just make sure your tire pressure is 50 lbs or more when towing....

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly