Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2011, 09:39 AM   #1

Stone Guard Options?

Our motohome currently doesn’t have any sort of a stone guard and currently getting it ready to pull a toad. I know there is a debate on the under slung large rubber guards…suggestions they kick up as much or more than the stop. Any thoughts out there on the ones than lay flat under the tow bar and connect between the motorhome and toad? They look like they would be work ok but wonder about how rugged they are. I can see if you ran over a re-cap on the freeway and it spit out the back it might be the end of the stone guard. Are they made out of some sort of stretchy fabric or?? In general do they work and do they last.

2003 Fleetwood Discovery 38T Pusher
Cdn-Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn-Tx View Post
In general do they work and do they last.
I'm on my 2nd motorhome and I use a Rock Solid stone guard. It lasts a long time and it does not get rough looking like a broom type stone guard.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:57 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
If you have a Roadmaster tow system, check out the TowDefender on their website. It's a blanket that attaches to the receiver on the tow vehicle and the brackets on the Toad. Easy to use and it works like a champ.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
We went to Alaska last summer and used the Tow Defender. Works like a champ. I would highly recomend it. It is easy to install, and easy to attach/detach to the towed.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:02 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I use the Protect-a tow system. Its light weight easy to install and is stored in a bag when not in use. Best of all not hard on the pocket book.
Protect-a-Tow
Old 02-04-2011, 12:15 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rock Solid mounted all the way back like DriVer, $89. and it works great. I have towed over 60,000 miles without any damage.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:08 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We began towing last year. Our coach has mud flaps behind the rear wheels, and the big rubber mud flap at the very back of the coach. I thought we were ready to roll.

On our first trip, the windshield of our toad was ruined. Driving on paved highway with gravel shoulders. At the end of our run, there was a layer of gravel 1/8" deep on the windshield of the toad. Go figure.

We have since added the Protect-a-tow. We're out on the road now. We'll see how it works out.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:09 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We've just driven about a thousand miles in less than ideal conditions. The Canadian roads were passable only because of the amount of road salt, so by the time we made it into Washington State, our coach and our toad were both the color of brown road salt. Yuck!

Today, we pulled into a truck wash to have the coach and toad cleaned. The outside edges of the toad's windshield was coated in gravel, and the windshield badly damaged in the outside couple of inches of the windshield.

The Protect-a-tow was carrying a substantial load of gravel, some rocks as big as 1".

When I stand at the toad looking forward at the coach, the coach's rear mud flap is a few inches wider than the coverage of protection that the Protect-a-tow offers. I think the outside edges of the mudflap are picking up gravel, spraying it onto the toad's windshield and into the protect-a-tow.

We have two more days of driving, then I'll try to assess things. Right now, I think either the mud flap needs to be narrowed several inches, or completely removed.

What puzzles me is all these rocks that ruined my toads windshield came from paved interstates. I'm new to this toad business, but now I'm wishing that I had picked up a beater for the job instead of a premium vehicle. This job is smashing it to pieces.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:07 AM   #9
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
the coach's rear mud flap is a few inches wider than the coverage of protection that the Protect-a-tow offers. I think the outside edges of the mudflap are picking up gravel, spraying it onto the toad's windshield and into the protect-a-tow.
That full width mud flap needs enough ground clearance so that it does not contact the road when going over normal dips, bumps, etc.

I have about 6" clearance between the flap and the road and have never had any toad damage.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:09 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I plan to use a tow dolly to tow my different cars. What protector would be good for this? Any advise here?
Hudsoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:22 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
jimkate;
Today, we pulled into a truck wash to have the coach and toad cleaned. The outside edges of the toad's windshield was coated in gravel, and the windshield badly damaged in the outside couple of inches of the windshield.

__________________________________________________ ___________________

If you are saying that it's only the drivers side then perhaps it is the oncoming traffic that is kicking up the junk onto your windshield.
If that not it, I have had very good luck with that ROCK SOLID mounted all the way back like Driver has done. The only thing I have done differently is to close the gap betwwen the two halves in the middle. It can't hurt and it's only $89. from Camping World.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:28 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We've reached our destination. Today I found laying on the Protect-a-Tow a few things that somehow got picked up off the highway.

A few nice round stones, and someone's car key.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:40 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkate View Post
We've reached our destination. Today I found laying on the Protect-a-Tow a few things that somehow got picked up off the highway.

A few nice round stones, and someone's car key.
I would say that the Protect-a-Tow does not get the job done. Not if your getting debris on top of the Protect-a-Tow. I had a similar one and finally got rid of it for all the same reasons and now only use the Rock Solid.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:55 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
I plan to use a tow dolly to tow my different cars. What protector would be good for this? Any advise here?
we use a brush guard from camping world mounted a couple of feet feet from the rear. the brush guard is mounted just fwd of the 6'' white stinky slinky container.
this works well for us.
i'll see if i can find a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00757.JPG
Views:	385
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	8237   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00758.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	8238  

01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote