Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2016, 01:00 PM   #15

I didn't see where you said what braking system your using it could be coming from that. I know my brskemaster discharges in the car so I'm getting some odor from the air system on the coach that goes away shortly after using the car.
johnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2016, 01:13 PM   #16

I have a similar condition with my toad, a Chevy Tracker. Don't smell it until we drive the toad, not upon disconnecting after towing. After driving it a while, everything picked up towing burns off and I can't smell it any more.
znt1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:17 PM   #17

I do get some smelly stuff after towing 4 down behind the DP. I've written it off to road crap and if I do some detergent spray and wash the radiator and engine compartment routine when I get to where I'am going I don't get that stink ing feeling. Magic!!
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:20 PM   #18

This smell is common for lots of folks either dolly towing or 4-down. Noticed it the first time I towed my Murano with my Excursion and now get it with my CRV when towed with my Discovery.

I think it's rubber,road grit etc getting deposited on the engine and exhaust system of the Toad. When you disconnect and start your car it starts burning off and lasts anywhere from an hour or two to a couple of days.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:05 PM   #19

I get the same thing on my CR-V sometimes. It is road debree burning off. You get the same stuff when you drive but it is burned off as it lands and doesn't have time to accumulate as when you tow.
waroland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:38 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Could possibly be oil and tire rubber from the road surface sticking to the Catalytic Converter and exhaust pipe.
See: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/hot-o...ep-187493.html

Upon start, the toad's Catalytic Converter gets hot - fast...so hot that (we all should know) it can start a grass fire.

It is most common in the west where lower rain levels rarely clean the roadway.
Can Happen to flat towed or dolly towed (like ours).

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:26 AM   #21

Smell after being towed!!!

Hello Friends!!! Thanks for the advice on this matter that is why I love this forum!!!! It now make sense after towing the toad for several thousand of miles why I get this smell now I do not have to worry that something funny is going on with the Jeep! Like I had stated before this smell only happens after I start the engine on the toad there is no smell while it's being towed or when I disconnect it from the MH, again THANKS for the advice!!
Grandcanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:36 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
You learn something every day on the forum.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:42 AM   #23

From the dealer towing four down requires transfer case in neutral not the tranny. It sounds like he is putting the tranny in neutral and the trans is turning the engine and fluids are being sucked in to vacuum places and sit there until the engine runs for a time.
Blackey Cole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, smell, tow