Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2022, 08:25 PM   #15
NXR

2020 Equinox Premier AWD 2.0L with the 9-speed here.

You seem to have a charging circuit but it's no doubt under-sized from what you wrote. Both the charging line and the ground line should be 12 AWG (12 gauge) wire.

As one person noted, the Equinox when configured for towing pulls almost 8 amps from the car battery, far, far more than other cars for some reason.

My guess is the car is drawing about 8 amps but your charging circuit is delivering noticeably less current so the battery is slowly going dead. If you had someone else do the wiring, they almost undoubtedly used under-sized wire that is adequate for other vehicles but not an Equinox.

I had that happen when I installed the RVi Towed Battery Charger that someone else mentioned. I have a couple of long posts here about that troubleshooting but the bottom line is that the RVi TBC cannot deliver the full 10 amps it's rated for in an Equinox. I tried three of them and finally just jumped it out.

Once I just went to properly-sized wiring and an inline fuse I've had no battery problems and that's been for two years.

You do know you need to turn off the automatic headlights every time you start the car, right?

Are you getting the message on the dash that says the automatic headlight control is set to OFF?

I'm asking because I helped another Equinox owner with this problem and he thought that turning the dash dimmer knob full counter-clockwise was all he needed to do.

Ray
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2022, 10:58 PM   #16

I am having a problem of battery being discharged after towing on my 2019 Chevy Blazer. I have the RVI Toad Battery Charge system installed. So I called the company who suggested some troubleshooting procedures. After forwarding the results to them they stated it was probably a blown diode in their Toad Battery Charge system and that I need to buy another one as it is past the one year warranty. No thanks. It looks like my issue is probably the same as in the Equinox so I’ll just bypass their system and connect the charge line with fuse directly to toad battery. What size fuse should I use?
gandl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 04:41 AM   #17

On both of the cars we had set to flat tow the mechanic installed a switch inside the toad that kills power to the accessories.

We are in the process of locating a replacement for the 2014 CR-V. Looking at what is out there we will be getting something with a lot more bells and whistles (in addition to toad it will be my every day vehicle). Will we be able to add an accessory kill switch on newer vehicles like a 2018 Ford Edge or 2019 Buick Envision?
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 05:25 AM   #18

"What size fuse should I use?"
On my 2014 CRV I used a 20A manual reset inline breaker but a fuse will also work. Best to avoid autobreset breakers.
Click image for larger version

Name:	61M5kW5xZkL._SX522_.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	362818
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 06:21 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandl2 View Post
I am having a problem of battery being discharged after towing on my 2019 Chevy Blazer. I have the RVI Toad Battery Charge system installed. So I called the company who suggested some troubleshooting procedures. After forwarding the results to them they stated it was probably a blown diode in their Toad Battery Charge system and that I need to buy another one as it is past the one year warranty. No thanks. It looks like my issue is probably the same as in the Equinox so I’ll just bypass their system and connect the charge line with fuse directly to toad battery. What size fuse should I use?
What chassis does your RV have?

On my Freightliner chassis, there is a 30 amp fuse for trailer power.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 06:25 AM   #20

I had same problem with our Equinox… battery dead as a door nail after towing. I installed the LSL Toad Charging kit and… No More Problems! Cheap and simple fix.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 12:23 PM   #21
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandl2
It looks like my issue is probably the same as in the Equinox so I’ll just bypass their system and connect the charge line with fuse directly to toad battery. What size fuse should I use?
Tough to tell. The RVi has its own fuse from the TBC to the battery so I just used that one.

But...I put a clamp-on ammeter on the battery negative cables to see how much current the battery will draw to recharge after the engine is started. After ten minutes of not being charged (the driver's door was open) the battery pulled almost 80 amps out of the car's alternator, tapering to between 20 and 30 amps in a minute or so.

That being said, the amount of current that can be pulled from the motorhome charging line will be limited by:

- The size of the wire used in the motorhome (I think the Ford F-53 uses 10 AWG from the engine to the 7-pin connector),

- The fuse used in the motorhome (I think our F-53 also uses a 30 amp fuse up front),

- The size of the wire from the motorhome 7-pin connector to the connector on the car,

- And finally the size of the wire used from the connector on the car to the car's battery.

Whew.

So the simple answer is to just jump the TBC out with crimped butt splices and see if the RVi-supplied fuse blows. If it does, up the fuse size by 5 amps and try again.

Ray
Old 04-18-2022, 04:00 PM   #22

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...RM-156-25.html
You need this.
I put one in my 2022 Jeep
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 05:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...RM-156-25.html
You need this.
I put one in my 2022 Jeep
That looks like it uses an auto reset breaker which IMO is not best.
I have read of member here that had a toad fire & total loss from auto reset breaker continuing to reset & started the fire.
I used an inline manual reset 20A breaker and would recommend that or a fuse.
Click image for larger version

Name:	61M5kW5xZkL._SX522_.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	362960
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 11:58 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Charles View Post
Did you confirm that the cord really has power or does it only have signal, brake and tail lights connections?
yes, has been checked out by installer twice.
prodhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 04:38 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandl2 View Post
Starting on the 2020 model it states to disconnect the battery. I wonder if the same issue you were having was discovered and they added to remove the battery cable.
I put a high end battery switch in so its easily done. I do not have a charging wire to my battery. I have one available and working on the coach side but have not required it as mine starts every time.
Winger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 04:50 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger2 View Post
Starting on the 2020 model it states to disconnect the battery. I wonder if the same issue you were having was discovered and they added to remove the battery cable.
I put a high end battery switch in so its easily done. I do not have a charging wire to my battery. I have one available and working on the coach side but have not required it as mine starts every time.
I am waiting for delivery of a 2022 GMC Sierra next week as our new toad. Equinox is going away. On that vehicle the manual says you must disconnect battery. I assumed it was to prevent a dead battery. Turns out (I have been told) those vehicles have an electric power steering system that is active with the key off. So I need to kill power to prevent a steering problem as the car attempts to correct the steering while under tow. The company that is installing the Blue Ox gear is also installing a marine battery switch under the hood for disconnect. The installer did not like the solenoid button systems due to failure rates with other customers.
RVStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 06:33 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVStitchy View Post
I am waiting for delivery of a 2022 GMC Sierra next week as our new toad. Equinox is going away. On that vehicle the manual says you must disconnect battery. I assumed it was to prevent a dead battery. Turns out (I have been told) those vehicles have an electric power steering system that is active with the key off. So I need to kill power to prevent a steering problem as the car attempts to correct the steering while under tow. The company that is installing the Blue Ox gear is also installing a marine battery switch under the hood for disconnect. The installer did not like the solenoid button systems due to failure rates with other customers.
YEPP!
I have no faith in the solenoid button types. I pop the hood, turn the switch and close the hood. How much lazier can anyone get lol.
Now someone told me they do not disconnect their 2020 Blazer battery and have driven thousands of miles with no issues. But I agree with the electric power steering issues. I go by what the book says.
Winger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 11:21 AM   #28

If battery is disconnected I wouldn't have power to my break system in the toad.
prodhair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery