Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2014, 09:37 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For updates on the EZE-Tow, see this iRV2 thread:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f256/acme...-a-220730.html

For those that cannot visualize how the EZE-Tow can make turns without scrubbing the dolly tires...watch these YouTube videos: It's just like flat towing...the car's wheels pivot on the fixed frame of the dolly, and the webstraps also allow a slight amount of fore and aft movement.

And

For driving demos...skip ahead to about the 3/4 point on the videos.

While it might seem impossible that these dollys can negotiate turns, they most surely can (as shown in the videos) because the connection of the car to the dolly is not fixed. And will follow an RV's turning radius with no problems at all...it's all in the design.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2014, 11:50 PM   #58

Triple E Owners Club
I just recently got my new EZE-tow up and running. Loaded up an 08 Civic Si behind an 05 Dodge Dakota for a quick test drive. I noticed right away a resistance when taking a hard slow speed 90 degree turn out of my driveway. I tied a white rag to the top of the steering wheel so I could watch it's movement. It did turn a fare bit but with the wheels strapped tight to the dolly it only makes sense that the dolly tires will scuff in a tighter turn. I'm sure I wouldn't notice the the resistance as much towing with the coach.
If I wanted better sharp turning ability I would have bought a dolly with a steer axle but I didn't want to push around another hundred plus pounds when unhooked.
Surge disc brakes on this dolly work great.
I've never towed a dolly before so this could be interesting. Plan on taking it across Canada and back next summer.
I need to figure an easier system for hooking the safety chains up though.
Dave
Kuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:25 AM   #59

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our towed is an '05 Honda Odyssey, so I had to get a large, high capacity dolly. The KK-460 fit the bill for us, although I'm towing four the Ody down again.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:43 AM   #60

Quote:
While it might seem impossible that these dollys can negotiate turns,
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who ever said such a thing ? ?
It was said that it cannot make a hard 90 degree turn w/o scrubbing the tires. And even a normal street RH turn is a relatively hard 90 degree turn.
Now any commom sense person knows that it WILL do it, and probably do it w/o any noticeable problems. (except some have been reported) But it won't do it w/o stress on the dolly's frame, the tie straps, and all the front end components of the toad's suspension, and tire scrubbing when a tight turn.
If you don't believe it, stand outside and watch it while some one makes a even a normal RH street turn.
Kuzz's post above says it quite well I believe.

But I don't see the problem. If you like the cheaper price, and the lighter weight, and believe there won't be any problems, buy one ! Just quit trying to convince us that there isn't better dollys out there,.....that ARE heavier, and more expensive, and that steer w/o any stress on anything.
RJsfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:15 AM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
I have a bit of suspension engineering experience...
...When you strap a car to the dolly it gets interesting. Now when you bend into a turn, you have the dolly trying to carve a tighter arc, with the car giving some initial compliance, and then resisting the addition arc because it is preventing the dolly from naturally rotating the way it wants. Because it is strapped solidly to the car, with no ability to change the angle of the dolly wheels in relationship to the arc that the car is following, you will get the scrubbing that you are observing in the tighter turns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJsfishin View Post
Quote:
"While it might seem impossible that these dollys can negotiate turns"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who ever said such a thing ? ?
...If you don't believe it, stand outside and watch it while some one makes a even a normal RH street turn.
Kuzz's post above says it quite well I believe.

But I don't see the problem. If you like the cheaper price, and the lighter weight, and believe there won't be any problems, buy one ! Just quit trying to convince us that there isn't better dollys out there,.....that ARE heavier, and more expensive, and that steer w/o any stress on anything.
So glad it was asked...Posted at the top is just one of the examples in this thread, which is only one of many in this Forum expounding how it just can't work.

And, Dolly's with steering systems are surely not better - like dolly's with a "pivot-pan" can even have fender impact against the car in a jack-knife situation

The EZE-Tow does work, I HAVE watched it...but I would not tow a car with anything smaller than a full-sized pick-up. I have towed a car on the EZE-Tow with my Dodge 3500 without tire scrub...had the Mrs. drive the truck around while I was in the bed watching - no scrubbing.

However, Acme's website clearly states that tight U-Turns should be avoided - but my RV and truck's turning radius allows U-Turns with the dolly - no problem.

The "Which is better" argument was never part of my post. I am not saying that buying one of the other brand of dolly is bad, but the misinformation about how the EZE-Tow works is what was addressed.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:25 PM   #62

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As I stated earlier in post #56 of this thread, the Acme Dolly does scrub the tires on tight turns. When I pull in or out of my driveway with the dolly loaded behind the motorhome I leave 2 nice black tire marks on the concrete from the dolly. Now to be fair the turn is a 90 degree turn off a 2 lane road, and it is exaggerated by the 8+ foot overhang behind the rear wheels of my MH. Is it a problem, NO, I'm not delivering Pizzas in town, I'm driving on interstates and highways 99% of the time. As a plus with the rear overhang, and the dolly loaded it tracks the Toad within inches of the MH rear swing on tight corners, no worry about cutting corners.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:35 PM   #63

I'm new to rving, only 2 months. I've purchased a RoadMaster, part 2000-1, it pulls so good if I didn't have a camera I wouldn't know it was behind me. It has tie-rod steering, which makes perfect sense to me, no tire scrubbing what so ever.
71camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:00 PM   #64

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Acme Owner - No Problems

We purchased the Acme dolly earlier this year to tow our RAV4. We have a class C with the 6.0 Chevy V-8. (See photo with dolly and RV) My biggest issue is the wife giving me mixed hand signals when we load the vehicle. (LOL). Slightly easier than landing on a carrier.

I did notice that when we initially locked the wheels down that it was necessary to tightened the straps from time to time. I carry my 1 1/4 wrench in the front seat of the toad to make adjustments as necessary.

The biggest advantage for me is the weight. I use a portable dolly cart to easily move it around and its easy on the on the back.

We are very satisfied with both the quality and performance of our tow dolly.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/735629463187747/
JimGeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:29 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuzzy View Post
I need to figure an easier system for hooking the safety chains up though.
Dave

This is the messiest part of the process. I have a bamboo beach mat that quickly rolls up and use that on the ground to lay on. Not a complete solution but it helps. I also bought a couple of small wire clips (Orange plastic adjustable from Home Depot) and clip the hanging chain to the other links so it doesn't flop around and is easy to install and remove.

Also, now that I have some miles and experience with the dolly, I know where the wear points are on the straps. I plan to pick up another set of straps so I will have two new sets and add some chafe material on the straps where I see fraying on the first set. Hopefully this will increase the useable strap life since the straps the are a consumable item.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:29 AM   #66

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post

Also, now that I have some miles and experience with the dolly, I know where the wear points are on the straps. I plan to pick up another set of straps so I will have two new sets and add some chafe material on the straps where I see fraying on the first set. Hopefully this will increase the useable strap life since the straps the are a consumable item.
This will protect the straps, especially in the winch. They also have the dolly basket straps at a very good price.

Cordura Wear Sleeves for 2 Webbing (Purchase by Lineal Foot) [CORDURA2]
Old 10-10-2014, 06:17 AM   #67

The only problem with the sleeves is I can't slide them to the wear point, which is near my front strut. I am thinking I can buy the wider Cordura and cut it lengthwise then sew into place where the wear is being seen in the basket area of the strapping. If that won't work than perhaps leather.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:49 PM   #68

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
The only problem with the sleeves is I can't slide them to the wear point, which is near my front strut. I am thinking I can buy the wider Cordura and cut it lengthwise then sew into place where the wear is being seen in the basket area of the strapping. If that won't work than perhaps leather.
Maybe double back tape to just keep it in place?

Tags
need help, tow, tow dolly, dolly