Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2014, 05:50 PM   #1

Stuck need help tow dolly ...

Hi guys, we bought a new tow dolly "made by company for full timers" its the type that the wheels sit directly on the dolly frame and the steering in the car turns when you turn,,,,,,

ok my problem, i have a 2011 dodge grand caravan AND a 2006 dodge grand caravan and when i try to turn corners (in town) it wants to drag the dolly wheels sideways!!!! ive never had this happen with any other cars/trucks ive tow dollied :( the steering on the vans dont lock

here is what ive done..

left key ON
started engine and let run
put van in neutral
put van in neutral AND running

no results it still slides the dolly :(

PS the van tires do look like they are turning a little bit but then stop

thanks
sammy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2014, 09:34 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I dolly tow, but mine has a turntable platform, so that's a problem I've not heard of before. Would suggest that you touch base with the dolly builder and check with a Dodge service writer as well.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang652 View Post
I dolly tow, but mine has a turntable platform, so that's a problem I've not heard of before. Would suggest that you touch base with the dolly builder and check with a Dodge service writer as well.
hi, this dolly is made so the wheels get strapped down and the wheels turn the steering on the car as the pivot point, just like tow baring one, thanks
Old 09-06-2014, 06:28 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
I was told that was normal by the tow dolly manufacture. Mine does the same thing.
hdzcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:21 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you think about it, there's no other way for this thing to operate. Whether the van front wheels turn or not, there is nothing in the dolly to transfer that action to the road. In reference to the radius of the turn, the front of the van still wants to go straight ahead, so the dolly has to slide to follow the MH.
wilanddij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:12 AM   #6

Your car tow dolly is not sliding in the turns. That is physically impossible. Tow dollies do not have suspensions. The tire is the only suspension component on a dolly. If you make tight turns with a loaded dolly there will be a lot of FRICTION between the tires and the ground. It will leave a track on the ground. It is not sliding, that would be absurd and dangerous. It happens with every dolly and all tandem axle trailers. Your car even leaves traction marks when you make sharp binding turns.
The Acme EZE-TOW Tow Dolly was not made to be driven around in circles or Cul De Sacs, 99% of it usage is on the highway.
A lack of suspension is the reason that dolly tires are consumed more quickly then passenger tires. It is simply the physics of the device.
It is nothing to be concerned about or to worry about. We have thousands of dollies in use every day Nationwide trouble free. Yours is no different. Watch the video, follow the instructions.
Happy and Safe Motoring.
EZE Tow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZE Tow View Post
Your car tow dolly is not sliding in the turns. That is physically impossible. Tow dollies do not have suspensions. The tire is the only suspension component on a dolly. If you make tight turns with a loaded dolly there will be a lot of FRICTION between the tires and the ground. It will leave a track on the ground. It is not sliding, that would be absurd and dangerous. It happens with every dolly and all tandem axle trailers. Your car even leaves traction marks when you make sharp binding turns.
The Acme EZE-TOW Tow Dolly was not made to be driven around in circles or Cul De Sacs, 99% of it usage is on the highway.
A lack of suspension is the reason that dolly tires are consumed more quickly then passenger tires. It is simply the physics of the device.
It is nothing to be concerned about or to worry about. We have thousands of dollies in use every day Nationwide trouble free. Yours is no different. Watch the video, follow the instructions.
Happy and Safe Motoring.
well if this was all listed in plain english on the site we wouldnt have spent our money on the dolly,,, we travel in different areas in towns and on the highways, and if i have to drag it around corners in town its no good to me, i sent emails to the company asking whats wrong BUT they got my money so they dont reply, BEFORE we paid we could send a question on a SUNDAY and get a reply right back, not after the sale....
Old 09-07-2014, 09:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy64 View Post
well if this was all listed in plain english on the site we wouldnt have spent our money on the dolly,,, we travel in different areas in towns and on the highways, and if i have to drag it around corners in town its no good to me, i sent emails to the company asking whats wrong BUT they got my money so they dont reply, BEFORE we paid we could send a question on a SUNDAY and get a reply right back, not after the sale....
You just got one!
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:49 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
KarKaddySS, enough said!!!!!
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:37 AM   #10

Your Acme EZE-TOW Tow Dolly is functioning exactly as designed and intended. It operates on the exact same principle as all other tow dollies, just more efficiently. The Acme EZE-TOW Tow Dolly is the only dolly in the world with a 5 to 10 year warranty on critical moving parts, Bearings, Hubs, Seals, Brake components, and Actuator. Serviced in place anywhere in the world. NO ONE else does that. The first and original DISC brake tow dolly with sealed maintenance free bearings, 100% fully welded. No one else does that.
All dollies have friction between the tires and the ground.
You are creating a problem for yourself where no problem exists.

In addition. We answer emails all hours of the day. It does not matter to us if the customer has purchased or has not purchased. Many of our emails are from people who purchased a used dolly, in other words, not even our customer. But if we see the email then we answer it. We have a staff of people that do nothing but answer the 1000+ emails and phone calls we receive weekly.

If you posted your question somewhere, like here, or Facebook, or any other forum then we did not see it. We do not, cannot prowl the internet looking for questions in obscure places. We do have a complete log history of every email that comes in and goes out. If you would like to share your information privately with us then we can look at your correspondence history, immediately determine if we received your email and if we responded or not.

If you prefer to sell your tow dolly and buy a different dolly I will be glad to asset you with that. We have quite a few people calling asking for dollies already close to them.

I regret your frustration, however, there is nothing wrong with the dolly.

Sincerely, Richard Brown, Owner, Acme Tow Dolly Company.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZE Tow View Post
Your Acme EZE-TOW Tow Dolly is functioning exactly as designed and intended. It operates on the exact same principle as all other tow dollies, just more efficiently. The Acme EZE-TOW Tow Dolly is the only dolly in the world with a 5 to 10 year warranty on critical moving parts, Bearings, Hubs, Seals, Brake components, and Actuator. Serviced in place anywhere in the world. NO ONE else does that. The first and original DISC brake tow dolly with sealed maintenance free bearings, 100% fully welded. No one else does that.
All dollies have friction between the tires and the ground.
You are creating a problem for yourself where no problem exists.

In addition. We answer emails all hours of the day. It does not matter to us if the customer has purchased or has not purchased. Many of our emails are from people who purchased a used dolly, in other words, not even our customer. But if we see the email then we answer it. We have a staff of people that do nothing but answer the 1000+ emails and phone calls we receive weekly.

Sincerely, Richard Brown, Owner, Acme Tow Dolly Company.
well you dont answer all of them below is a copy from my sent folder...

To acmetowdolly@gmail.com Sep 5 at 7:06 PM
Hi, we bought a new dolly from you about 3-31-14 and we just now got around to putting our 2011 dodge grand caravan on it to try it out.... and we have a problem with the wheels on the van not wanting to turn. they seem to turn a little bit and stop and then it wants to drag the dolly wheels sideways, i stopped and checked everything and i can see whats wrong, i also have a 2006 dodge grand caravan and it does the same thing.. the steering wheels dont lock so im at a loss, we are still at home with it (in the driveway) im afraid to take it out on the road till i get the wheels to turn wright,,, any help? thank you

s------------
931---------
---------@yahoo.com
Old 09-08-2014, 08:38 AM   #12

It is difficult to understand the physics involved here. It is simple but difficult to see or understand. The wheels of your towed vehicle , that are resting on the dolly platform, do not move. They stay straight on the dolly at all times. The steering wheel should be the only thing moving. Watch our instructional video on our website and that may help you to understand what is happening. If you are looking at the wheels only then you are not seeing anything. It is all in the steering wheel.
Most car manufacturers are moving away from locking steering columns as part of their security system. If you are towing a car that has a locking column you need to leave it unlocked so the steering wheel is free to turn. As long as your column is free to turn then you will not have any issues. If you have any concerns and need a quick response, be sure to email us at acmetowdolly@gmail.com I check this once a week maybe, and I do not see every question on here. This is not the place or procedure for customer assistance.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:32 AM   #13

If you have the dolly with the safety chains you also attach underneath then maybe they are too tight not allowing the front wheels to turn as much as they should.

As far as emails not getting answered, some email accounts, servers, and even Internet providers get blocked on a regular basis due to spammers using the range of IP addresses/servers. It is possible they did not get your emails. I run an on-line business and several email providers are terrible at blocking emails without letting either party know the email did not go through. Hotmail and Yahoo are two of the worst. If I suspect there is a problem or I don't get a response I use the phone.

If this is as critical a problem as you seem to think is is why didn't you just call them? I've called them a couple of times with questions as I'm planning on purchasing one and both times they answered the phone immediately and could answer my question. I doubt they know the difference between a sales call and a service call before they pick up the phone. Sorry, but I don't have any sympathy for you if you did not call them.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Radios View Post
If you have the dolly with the safety chains you also attach underneath then maybe they are too tight not allowing the front wheels to turn as much as they should.

. Sorry, but I don't have any sympathy for you if you did not call them.

no safety chains used for the test,

i was looking for "sympathy" just possible answers,

i wish there would have been some notice or warning on there website saying that small motorhomes may have trouble using this type of dolly,,,,, but then they wouldnt see as many either. we are having to sell it because its not safe to try to tow a car using a little motorhome, :(

Tags
need help, tow, tow dolly, dolly