Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2016, 05:22 AM   #15

We pulled the trigger on the Forester, have right at 5K on it and still full of oil. Do a search "Subaru oil burning issue", then do a search "Honda oil burning issue" then "xxx oil burning issue". Comes up with most of them. I think it was/is a problem with a lot of the newer engines burning lighter weight oil, as the mfr were/are getting used to using it. And at this point, if you want to tow 4 down, Sub is about it, I've been happy so far.
FishNFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2016, 07:01 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
First, only the early 2013 Subi Crosstrek and Impreza's had a problem with the engine using oil, and they are replacing those as they become aware of the owners problem.
I have a 2013 Crosstrek that is outside the recall date, have right at 30,000 miles on it, and don't lose a drop of oil between changes, at 5000 miles.
Other Subi's like the Forrester and Legacy/Outback don't have any problems.
If you look at Subi compared to other makes, you'll see that Subi's problems and recalls are just a very small # compared to most other makes.
So, it comes down to personal preferance and knowledge, not hearsay of what your going to buy.
Grumpy
Have to admit, I still like the Crosstrek. And, compared to a Jeep Wrangler, it is a hands down winner for safety. Do you know when they added the backup camera? I am thinking of getting a pre-2016 stick shift but I want the backup camera. I would like to have a 4WD vehicle when we start traveling in the western half of the country so we can go off road.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:09 AM   #17

For those of you with Forester oil issues, a class action was just settled that extends the warranties for this issue. Subaru has a fix. Google it. Knocking on wood, my two Foresters didn't have any oil problem. Great cars.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:16 AM   #18

vette, not sure exactly when the backup camera was added. Never did interest me...never had a backup camera in anything I owned until my class c Lexington.
Aside from that, I think the backup camera only came as an extra when you ordered certain options, and I don't know if it was available on a stick shift equipped XV. I'll check on some of the XV websites I visit and let you know.

OK, found it was available as far back as the 2013. Only two models available that year, premium and limited. Camera was an option on both.
Many more models now, and I think their all available with the camera, some standard and some as an option, depending on the model. I think its part of the audio upgrade package requiring the touch screen/nav system.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:38 AM   #19

Info back from my XV forum...
Back up camera was made a standard piece of equipment in 2015, all models, including the manual equipped models.
Hope this helps.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Have to admit, I still like the Crosstrek. And, compared to a Jeep Wrangler, it is a hands down winner for safety. Do you know when they added the backup camera? I am thinking of getting a pre-2016 stick shift but I want the backup camera. I would like to have a 4WD vehicle when we start traveling in the western half of the country so we can go off road.
2015 (and later) Forester has back up camera. 2014 Forester brochure says it also had it. Probably came with 2014 redesign. I am getting ready to prep my 2015 Forester for towing. Any recommendations on braking systems?
RV Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:19 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
Info back from my XV forum...
Back up camera was made a standard piece of equipment in 2015, all models, including the manual equipped models.
Hope this helps.
Grumpy
Thanks, I thought that was the case but wasn't sure. I think they are federally mandated by 2018 or something like that. One of the dealers told us that so all cars are supposed to have it by then. On our Escape we also have the rear warning so if a car or person comes behind while backing out it warns you. Nice feature since sometimes its hard to see past a larger car parked next to you.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 03:01 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Tinker View Post
2015 (and later) Forester has back up camera. 2014 Forester brochure says it also had it. Probably came with 2014 redesign. I am getting ready to prep my 2015 Forester for towing. Any recommendations on braking systems?
This should be fun. Lots of threads on braking systems. Definitely research them. We went with the Brake Buddy Vantage for several reasons. 1) When it's off, I want it off. It comes completely out of the vehicle with no further attachments, no mods to original brake system. Too much on the integral braking systems locking up on their own for no good reason and potentially killing someone. Plus I didn't want anything to chance voiding a warranty if the original braking system is messed with. 2) I like that the Vantage has a remote sensor so I know what it's doing to my car--don't like thinking about it riding my brakes, burning up brakes, flatspotting tires, or starting a fire......

The Forester is light and so far I don't think I've even needed the auxiliary braking, but I suppose it's good to have, in event of an accident/lawsuit, a breakaway, or panic stop.

So far so good on the whole system, we aren't full timers and have only used it a few times but happy with it all.
FishNFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 03:13 PM   #23

The Forester is over 3,000 lbs so you have to have a brake system. I had the EvenBrake on my 2007 Forester and have just transferred it to my Cadillac. You do have to tap in to the brake switch circuit but that is easy enough. No problems in 8 years.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote