Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2016, 02:16 PM   #1

Subaru Forester vs Crosstrek

Looking at buying a vehicle to double as a toad. Looking at Subaru Forester or Crosstrek. First time toad user, so not really sure what to expect as far as how much difference there might be in towing these two? Our Jayco Greyhawk Class C F450 MH weighs 12,966, GCWR is 22,000 lbs. The weight difference between those two isn't much--about 200#. Overall the Forester is a bit boxier, sits up a bit higher and is just a little bigger (6" wider, a foot longer). Might get a bit more wind resistance, but is that a factor since it's behind the MH anyway? Overall the Forester has a little more room and I've never purchased anything-car, MH, travel trailer, house, boat, and wished for less room later, so we are leaning that way unless for some reason the 200# weight difference and boxier shape might make a big difference in towing?
FishNFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2016, 02:30 PM   #2

Make sure you get a stick, but still recommend verifying you can tow it. We recently purchased a Ford Escape. I very much liked the Suburu CrossTrek and Forester (we were looking at the same two models) but when I started reading about some of the oil usage issues and whether they were resolved in the 2016 model year I started looking elsewhere for a new car. Didn't want to roll the dice with that problem.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 03:52 PM   #3

Wow vettenuts, that's a big issue with the Subaru's. I've never owned one, but just in general always thought they had great vehicles. Like you I think I'll pass on them.

We are looking at something suv~ish--I don't see that the Escape is four down towable? Now maybe considering the Scion Xb? It's pretty light, compared to a lot of them, but looks like it was designed by a highschooler with a T-square, or as one review, it "looks like a toolshed on wheels". So I guess my new question--related to the first, but how much does aerodynamics affect towing behind a MH?

Also may just look at 2014 used Honda Crv...that looks to have been the fav until they redesigned in 2015.
FishNFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:36 PM   #4

We have a 2014 Subaru Forester Premium (manual transmission) and it has been a great car and excellent toad vehicle. The engine does use oil and does require routinely checking the level and adding oil if needed. When driving cross country I check it each morning, otherwise once a week. I carry a quart of oil and a small funnel in the cargo area. I am not happy with the oil issue but, the car performs well and suits our needs. There are very few awd / 4wd vehicles out there that are reasonably light and get decent fuel mileage. If the Subaru develops issues we may end up with a Jeep.
Dave Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:43 PM   #5

We have a 2015 XV Crosstrek and tow it behind a 36' gasser ( W24 with 8.1 Chevy) and love it. Can't even tell it back there when towing. Car only has 8000 miles but no issues so far.
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:45 PM   #6

We have been towing our Forester for 8 years and I have never added oil between our annual service. Because you have to buy the manual transmission you are limited to the basic models which may be an issue for some.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:44 AM   #7

The new Escape is not towable four down or on a dolly (4wd). I really liked the Suburu, and for us, towing wasn't an issue because we didn't plan to tow it. I also really liked the eyesight option. It was just a little unnerving to read the forums and see that some were still experiencing oil control issues so we decided to pass. We also looked at the new CRV, but I was told Honda won't ship the FWD version to our area, only 4wd so that couldn't be Dolly towed. Since we weren't shopping for a car we could tow, and Ford had some incentives and my wife really liked the Escape, that is what we bought.

My wife doesn't like the Kia Soul, but I had one for a rental car once and really liked it. Have you looked at that? Lots of room, the seats are a little more upright (like a pickup truck) and I thought it was fun to drive. Like the Suburu, only the base model comes in a stick.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 03:59 PM   #8

We tow a 2013 Subi Crosstrek. Between wife and I we've owned 6 Subi's since 1997, and pretty much would not buy another brand.
True, the early Crosstreks had an oil use problem (very small percentage) but were taken care of by Subaru.
Forrester is actually built on the Impreza/Crosstrek platform, but the Forrester is roomier. I use the Crosstrek as my daily driver in addition to using it as a toad. Wife has an Outback Limited.
Crosstrek has 18,000 on odmometer, with another 8000 miles being towed (towed miles do not register on the odmometer.
If I had to get another toad tomorrow, it would be another Subi.
They're reliable, safe, great bang for the buck, have the road clearence (Crosstrek) of a stock Jeep Wrangler. Have run mine in snow, dirt trails, loggging roads, without a problem.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 12:40 PM   #9
jrs

My in-laws own 2 Subi's and a co-worker is on his 4th. All will purchase another when the time arrives. Lots better mileage vs my Jeep Liberty.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 12:50 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
My son just bought a 2016 Forester last weekend. He originally wanted a Crosstrek but he checked on insurance costs and the Forester was cheaper insurance wise. Seems the insurance companies lump the Crosstrek/Impressa/WRX into the same category. He loves his new 'Subie' His wife drives a 2007 Impreza so they are a Subaru family.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:34 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I think you need to know 2 things before you start looking for a toad:
What is your Jayco's hitch rating?
Do you want to tow only 4-down?

Once you know that, you can go on Motorhome Magazine's website & download their Dinghy Guides. Those will tell you what you can & can't tow 4-down & the weights. When you pick out a few that meet your criteria, our members will be able to give you input on preferred toads.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 02:33 PM   #12
doc

Appalachian Campers
Our current BMWdealership has purchased a Subaru dealership and will be opening in April. I expect we will learn a lot as we go along, but right now these are some really nice autos. Hope they work as well as toads as they do daily drivers. If you are in the area of N Georgia, stop by. Let us know and tell us your experiences with them as towed vehicles.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:58 PM   #13

I was thinking the cross trek would be a good replacement toad. Carry around a funnel and a quart of oil. No thanks! Thanks irv2
Old 06-03-2016, 04:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona View Post
I was thinking the cross trek would be a good replacement toad. Carry around a funnel and a quart of oil. No thanks! Thanks irv2
First, only the early 2013 Subi Crosstrek and Impreza's had a problem with the engine using oil, and they are replacing those as they become aware of the owners problem.
I have a 2013 Crosstrek that is outside the recall date, have right at 30,000 miles on it, and don't lose a drop of oil between changes, at 5000 miles.
Other Subi's like the Forrester and Legacy/Outback don't have any problems.
If you look at Subi compared to other makes, you'll see that Subi's problems and recalls are just a very small # compared to most other makes.
So, it comes down to personal preferance and knowledge, not hearsay of what your going to buy.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote