Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2021, 07:56 AM   #1

Subaru Outback Toad Prep

Hi, I'm brand new to Rving. I've got a 33 ft 2012 Newmar Baystar. I bought a 2013 manual transmission Subaru Outback for a toad.
I'd like recommendations on the cheapest, easiest way to get it ready to safely & legally tow. I'm not a mechanic, but have friends that are handy. Your advice about baseplates, towbars, wiring, etc for older Outbacks will be greatly appreciated.
Do I need a brake assist system on the Subie? If so, would this bluetooth system work?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JQ99SDD...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Thanks again.
Alizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2021, 08:39 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I put the blue ox on my 14' Crosstrek. I had a shop that specialized in installing tow bars put the base plate on. I didn't want to have to disassemble the whole front clip to get it installed. I installed the Roadmaster Invisibreak for my toad braking system. It was easy to do!
https://youtu.be/wVvWwxjeg8g
I've towed the Crosstrek 40k miles with this system and I love it.
flyfishidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 02:06 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, you'll need supplemental braking for the Outback. An Outback is rather heavy (in comparison to a sub-compact) so to be legal in all states you will need supplemental brakes.

However, that one you reference is for trailers and I'm pretty sure it will not work. You need a brake system that is designed for towing a car behind a motorhome.

We towed a much older Outback for quite a few years and it was actually one of the best toads we used.

eta: Installing base plates isn't horrendously complicated so you may want to show the instructions to your friend(s) to see if it's something they'd want to tackle if they have the time and tools. Yes, you'll save a lot of money by self installing as it can be labor intensive if doing it for the first time. I'll look up some instructions and post them a bit later. Same with the wiring for the lights ...if you or your friends are handy at automotive wiring, you can save some of the labor costs by doing it yourself.

2nd edit:

I've linked the instructions for baseplate installation for both Blue Ox and Roadmaster if you want to look them over to see if it's something that you think you could handle yourself or with the help of friends.

Blue Ox Baseplate Installation Instructions for 2010-2014 Subaru Outback

Roadmaster Baseplate Installation Instructions for 2013 Subaru Outback

Additional information on Blue Ox accessories and related products for 2010-2014 Subaru Outback

Information for Roadmaster towing 2013 Subaru Outback ...wiring, their supplemental braking, etc.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:54 AM   #4

Thanks so much for your help and recommendations. I'll show my friends and see if it's something they're willing to tackle. The quotes I've gotten have been all over the map, most of them outrageous to me. Gander RV wanted 5K to install the base plate and sell me a tow bar! It made me mad.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:55 AM   #5

Thanks for your help and recommendations.
Old 04-07-2021, 01:45 PM   #6

Well, when comparing prices be sure that you are comparing apples-to-apples.

If you want somebody to provide and install the entire package, yes, it will be expensive.

So a total install will consist of:

1. supplying the towbar

2. supplying and installing the brackets (baseplates)

3. acquiring and setting up your supplemental braking system

4. wiring the toad for lights (remember, you'll want to be able to have the lights on the toad mimic the motorhome, i.e., when you turn on the headlights/parking that the toad's tail lights will be on, when the brake lights on the motorhome activate, so will the toad's, and when you activate turn signals/4-ways in the motorhome, the toad will match the same flashing.

There is a "cheap" way to avoid spending a lot for toad wiring and that's using removable magnetic tow lights. If you're interested in "saving money" that way, there are a lot of threads here on the forum about it.

What I think I'd recommend is to determine all these things ahead of time and thenget estimates. So choose a tow bar, choose what baseplate you want to use (Blue Ox, Roadmaster, Demco), especially important is to choose what supplemental braking system you want, and finally, choose how you want to "light" the toad --as in #4 above.

Then you can go and get estimates and compare them in almost an apples-to-apples comparison. After that, you can then determine how much you can save by doing a lot of the work yourself ...shop for and order the towbar, ordering the baseplates and installing yourself, ordering and setting up the supplemental brake system, and figuring out how you want to wire the toad for lights or how much you'll save by using magnetic lights.

Yes, you'll save a lot by doing all that yourself. So if you have the time, the help, and the tools to do it all, that's the "cheapest" way to go about it since that's what you said you wanted in your opening post.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes or if you need help as there are a lot of people here on the forum that have installed and set-up their toads themselves without using a professional installation that could cost more than $5,000 to do as you've found out. No, $5,000 isn't unreasonable for a shop to do it all but you can get by with less costs by doing all or some of it yourself.

If you do decide to have it done professionally, yeah, the big RV sales dealerships are usually the most expensive places to have it done. Alternatively, call some of the hitch shops and smaller independent RV service facilities and see how their prices compare.

Here are a few hitch shops and independent RV service places in the OKC area that you might at least contact to see what they say --they are all Roadmaster authorized dealers:

J and I Hitch

Offroad Addiction (this place does a lot of fabricating so "should" be a simple and quick job for them)

Broken Arrow Hitch

Kjelshus RV Service Center (this is a top-notch independent RV repair shop)
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:10 PM   #7

I recently setup my wife's 2017 Jeep Cherokee for TOAD duty as a DIY project using a mix of new and used pars for a bit under $2,000 total. It really was not that hard, etrailer has base plate installation videos for many cars, often for both Blue Ox and Roadmaster base plates. See this one as an example for the 2009 Outback (I don't know off hand what years the Outback changed body styles or if this one matches yours).

You will need a base plate, I used Blue Ox as I found the right one at a discounted price online (normally about $440, found it on sale new for about $350), but Roadmaster and Demco also make them, some are easier to install than others. You will also need a compatible tow bar (adapters are available to interchange most popular tow bars and base plates). I bought a used Demco Commander tow bar in good shape for $400 off of facebook marketplace from a guy who had sold his motorhome and no longer needed it, new price is about $750. Similarly I bought a very lightly used, only 18 month old Roadmaster Even Brake off ebay for just under $400, new online retail is about $1,250. This was not as much of a risk as one might think as Roadmaster, as well as Brake Buddy, and I think Blue Ox have a flat rate repair service for their braking systems, though generally only for the current production models, and maybe only certain recent serial number ranges for $250-350 depending on the brand, making even newer a non-working unit worth something.

Beyond these big 3 items, most of the rest is not that expensive, $50 of a towing umbilical cable unless you find a deal (I found one on Amazon discounted for $20), Safety cables, probably another $40, then either a diode kit, or other taillight wiring kit say another $50 -$100, maybe less. All total I did the install on our Cherokee working for 3-4 hours per day for about a week, taking my time and doing it right, hiding the wires, wrapping them with friction tape, and making the base plate cut outs and wiring hookups as unobtrusive as possible.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:55 AM   #8

I can't thank you enough. Your help has been indispensible.
I'm a slow work in progress, but I'll keep you updated. I'm deciding between Roadmaster and Blue Ox based on features and ease of use. I'm small at 5'0"/125 and can only lift about 35 pounds.
Your online handle is appropriate, you are The Roc and you rock. Thanks again.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:08 AM   #9

I've used Demco & Blue Ox base plates & they are both excellent. I've not heard anything that would make me not choose any brand of base plate, they are all good. If you need both a tow bar AND aux braking, I think the NSA Ready Brute is the most economical.
twojayhawks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 12:03 PM   #10

Being able to only lift 35 pounds should not be too much of an issue when installing a base plate and the rest of the towing setup, though you may have to work around a few things, like unpacking the box the base plate comes in vs moving it as delivered as it appears to have a 44 pound shipping weight for the Blue Ox model (I assume other brands will be similar) , it also appears to be a 1 piece main bar that spans the width of the front bumper on this model, likely making the weight of the main component very close to 35 pounds (assuming 3 pounds for cardboard, 2 pounds for each of the attachment pins, 1 pound for nuts and bolts). Though regardless of your strength it really does help to have a second or maybe even a third person helping when it comes time to remove and reinstall the front bumper cover to keep from breaking something or scuffing it up, not due to the weight, but due to the bulk and its tendency to flop around a bit.

It would probably also help to have someone else around to help when it comes time to attach the tow bar to the back of the motorhome hitch receiver as most towbars will weigh in over 35 pounds unless they are light weight Aluminum models.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad