Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2021, 12:01 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Subaru TOAD NO?

Hello;
We have a handicapped family member who’s legs do not bend.
We can get her into a few of your models, because the seats and doors are in a position that allows us to seat her, then swing her legs in.
We have a specially equipped RV that has a wheel chair lift.
This is a long way to get to a short question.
We need a car to flat tow behind the RV.
Since we are moving to North Carolina, and want a Subaru for it’s legendary handling of snow and ice.
I see of late, Subaru seems to warn against all four down unless in an emergency, or unavoidable.
Are there any of the models (not too far in the past or present) that are ok to tow flat?
The issue with Jeep or other SUV/Trucks, she is too short to reach her little butt to the seat, so we would have to pick her up to that height. I’m ok, wife is not that big and strong
I am sure it would need to be a manual transmission, but that is not an issue.
Your help in this is greatly appreciated.
John in Miami is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2021, 12:17 PM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
I am not sure about the Subaru's however I did tow a Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback a few years back (I used a dolly but it is flat towable automatic or standard transmission), I mention the Sonic because one thing I didn't like is that it is very low to the ground to get in and out of, which may be a good thing for your needs. Once inside, there is actually plenty of legroom (at least for the driver and front seat passenger, back seats ok but not as much leg room unless the front seats are moved forward) and I am just over 6' tall. ~Craig
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 12:24 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
I am not sure about the Subaru's however I did tow a Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback a few years back (I used a dolly but it is flat towable automatic or standard transmission), I mention the Sonic because one thing I didn't like is that it is very low to the ground to get in and out of, which may be a good thing for your needs. Once inside, there is actually plenty of legroom (at least for the driver and front seat passenger, back seats ok but not as much leg room unless the front seats are moved forward) and I am just over 6' tall. ~Craig
We have considered the Sonic, seems a decent fit.
The issue will be is if there is enough space with the door open, to get her extended legs into the front seat.
Once she is in, her legs relax a bit, and come down. so we can move her forward.
We will have to look deeper into that one.
Thanks!!
Old 05-08-2021, 01:51 PM   #4

Any manual transmission Subaru's can be towed 4 down. If you call Subaru customer service directly, NOT THE DEALER IDIOTS, they will confirm that the manual transmission vehicles can be towed.
Old 05-08-2021, 01:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Miami View Post
Hello;
We have a handicapped family member who’s legs do not bend.
We can get her into a few of your models, because the seats and doors are in a position that allows us to seat her, then swing her legs in.
We have a specially equipped RV that has a wheel chair lift.
This is a long way to get to a short question.
We need a car to flat tow behind the RV.
Since we are moving to North Carolina, and want a Subaru for it’s legendary handling of snow and ice.
I see of late, Subaru seems to warn against all four down unless in an emergency, or unavoidable.
Are there any of the models (not too far in the past or present) that are ok to tow flat?
The issue with Jeep or other SUV/Trucks, she is too short to reach her little butt to the seat, so we would have to pick her up to that height. I’m ok, wife is not that big and strong
I am sure it would need to be a manual transmission, but that is not an issue.
Your help in this is greatly appreciated.
I can appreciate wanting a Subaru. They’re legendary for winter handling.
What model of Subaru is so unique that your handicapped member can fit in one of their seats (front or rear) that other vehicles aren’t being considered?
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 02:03 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Any manual transmission Subaru's can be towed 4 down. If you call Subaru customer service directly, NOT THE DEALER IDIOTS, they will confirm that the manual transmission vehicles can be towed.
Thanks, I'll give that a try.
Old 05-08-2021, 02:15 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
The upscale models of the Jeep Grand Cherokee can be equipped with air suspension which can be lowered for ease of entry.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 03:22 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
The upscale models of the Jeep Grand Cherokee can be equipped with air suspension which can be lowered for ease of entry.
You know, I have often wondered if some of these vehicles could be lowered.
Not like we want to take them off road, only need a few inch drop!
Thanks, I will most definitely look into that.
Old 05-08-2021, 03:31 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Manual Transmission Subaru

I have been towing the manual Transmission Subaru for awhile now. The Subaru dealer that services it installed my baseplate. We have a Forester, I know the Crosstrek comes manual not sure about the Outback. Our Outback is automatic and cant be towed 4 down. Understand the desire for Subaru. When our forester reaches its end will replace it with another one. Go Subaru.
Phillieagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 03:35 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillieagle View Post
I have been towing the manual Transmission Subaru for awhile now. The Subaru dealer that services it installed my baseplate. We have a Forester, I know the Crosstrek comes manual not sure about the Outback. Our Outback is automatic and cant be towed 4 down. Understand the desire for Subaru. When our forester reaches its end will replace it with another one. Go Subaru.
I'm hoping to find an Impreza or such. The Forestor and Crosstek are a bit higher up I believe.
I will contact my Subaru dealer to see if they can install base plate.
That is IF the Jeep thing does not work.
I have contacted the dealer that sells the link kit to lower the jeep.
Seems a better fit.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:21 PM   #11

John, if you're considering a new Subaru, you really don't have much of a choice now ...Crosstrek and WRX (??)

If you're considering an older car, any Subaru with a manual transmission can be flat-towed. We towed early to mid-2000 Foresters and Outbacks and they were excellent toads. Subaru USA corporate stopped officially "sanctioning" or approving any of their vehicles to be flat towed in 2016, even manuals but that doesn't mean that they can't be successfully flat-towed.

eta: And NO! ...don't contact your dealer for baseplate installation! Let us know your location and we can recommend better places than either a Subaru dealership or an RV dealership to have baseplates installed. There are many independent RV shops, body shops, and hitch shops that not only will be less expensive but probably can do it more competently ...if you don't want to install the baseplates yourself. There are many Roadmaster and Blue Ox authorized dealers that are not auto dealerships that will do a good job at a better price than a Subaru dealership.

2nd edit: Yes, a Jeep will probably be a better alternative if buying new. You don't have to necessarily go with a Wrangler ...maybe a Cherokee? A regular Cherokee probably isn't too much higher off the ground than a passenger car.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad