Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2018, 06:36 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I went with the CoolTech harness. Not sure if it’s available for the JL but it was very easy to connect but a little harder to route through the frame but that was my choice to run it inside the frame. This, along with the M&G brake system is a great combo.
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2018, 06:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Does the JL have electric steering? And thus likely the wobble problem?
I high jacked this JL explanation from a different thread. It gives a good explanation of the JL steering vs. the Cherokee and the Grand Cherokee. By jharrell

My understanding is the new JL should not suffer from the towing wobble since its still hydraulic where as the Cherokee is fully electric with no hydraulic system.

The problem with the Cherokee is when the engine is off no power is applied to the electric steering system and therefore offers little resistance to turning from forces on the tires so it wobbles.

Hydraulic steering whether driven from the engine directly with a belt or through a electric motor as is the case in the new JL provides resistance even if the pump is not running due to the valving.

I believe the Grand Cherokee had electro hydraulic from 2010 to 2015 then went to full electric causing it to suffer from the wobble, and the new Cherokee has always had pure electric steering. The fix is a switch that applies power to the electric system even with the engine off so it can provide resistance however this drains the battery.

Will be interesting to see how the JL performs as a toad in real life, hats off to early adopters.
lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:56 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well,
I got off track then. I read the first part of his first post which mentioned in parenthesis "(Lights)" and also Mopar and Hopkins. Both of those have been associated with light harness's for the JKs. So, I ASSUMED he was inquiring about wiring his new JL for lights. Especially since I'm not aware of any HOPKINS tow harness's to eliminate the death wobble in the Cherokees. My bad.
Scott
Scott, I wasn't necessarily disagreeing with what you posted, I just wanted to clarify that it was the information that the OP posted about Mopar saying the one wiring harness would take care of the EPS issue along with lighting and other items.

This was the first that I have read about any Wrangler possibly requiring an EPS harness. If so I am wondering how Mopar could create one harness to accomplish taking care of all of those issues (powering the EPS, lighting and other items, what ever they may be).

I did a search for the Mopar part number and came up with nothing.

I'm thinking the OP (no disrespect intended) may have received some incorrect info from Mopar. In my experience dealing with FCA regarding a few well-known issues on my Cherokee, it certainly wouldn't be the first time.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
Scott, I wasn't necessarily disagreeing with what you posted, I just wanted to clarify that it was the information that the OP posted about Mopar saying the one wiring harness would take care of the EPS issue along with lighting and other items.

This was the first that I have read about any Wrangler possibly requiring an EPS harness. If so I am wondering how Mopar could create one harness to accomplish taking care of all of those issues (powering the EPS, lighting and other items, what ever they may be).

I did a search for the Mopar part number and came up with nothing.

I'm thinking the OP (no disrespect intended) may have received some incorrect info from Mopar. In my experience dealing with FCA regarding a few well-known issues on my Cherokee, it certainly wouldn't be the first time.
Thanks for clarifying. Yeah, even for Mopar, creating a harness that would/could take care of any wobbling by energizing the electronic power steering system AND, also take care of adapting the light harness so the tail lights can be used as tow lights. I know they already did one but, that was for the JK, not the JL. As stated earlier, the JL has a new arrangement in the tail lights. It will be interesting to see WHO comes out even with a new harness for the JL tail lights.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:14 AM   #19

I have a JL sitting in my garage now it does not have electronic steering. It is the old style hydraulic. I have the tow bar hooked up waiting on my aftermarket bumper which should arrive today. Took the tail lights out yesterday they are indeed different from in the past since they are LED. Will be calling mopar today to see if the harness is ready. Part # 82215382. Called hopkins yesterday they have nothing yet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0426.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	379.0 KB
ID:	196312
lawdogg149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:28 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogg149 View Post
I have a JL sitting in my garage now it does not have electronic steering. It is the old style hydraulic. I have the tow bar hooked up waiting on my aftermarket bumper which should arrive today. Took the tail lights out yesterday they are indeed different from in the past since they are LED. Will be calling mopar today to see if the harness is ready. Part # 82215382. Called hopkins yesterday they have nothing yet. Attachment 196312
lawdogg149 ... you appear to be the closest to the "Front Line" on this. Please keep us posted on how your's finally comes together. I am still waiting on my 2-door JL to start production. Am hearing 2-doors will start going down the line around April 9th ... so you are way ahead of me.

FLSteve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:57 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogg149 View Post
I have a JL sitting in my garage now it does not have electronic steering. It is the old style hydraulic. I have the tow bar hooked up waiting on my aftermarket bumper which should arrive today. Took the tail lights out yesterday they are indeed different from in the past since they are LED. Will be calling mopar today to see if the harness is ready. Part # 82215382. Called hopkins yesterday they have nothing yet.

Attachment 196312
I ordered 82215382 from Factory Mopar Direct and later that day they cancelled the order saying that it won't be released until May 1st. I also inquired with tech support at Hopkins who responded that it is in the works but may take up to a year before it is released..

LAWDOGG - pls let us know if you get a chance to tow and the results. I am really hoping to have mine ready for a June trip..
TXsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:05 AM   #22

TXsurfer. Help me understand what this harness is supposed to do. I’m ordering a Sahara this week and don’t know if I can connect the RV brake light to the toad.

Is the harness from the RV to toad or from the toad to a trailer. ???
Old 03-22-2018, 08:18 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
I’m ordering a Sahara this week and don’t know if I can connect the RV brake light to the toad.
Lass ... so you finally decided to take the leap of faith that the JL will not have the death wobble when towed like your GC ??

FLSteve
Old 03-22-2018, 08:34 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
TXsurfer. Help me understand what this harness is supposed to do. I’m ordering a Sahara this week and don’t know if I can connect the RV brake light to the toad.

Is the harness from the RV to toad or from the toad to a trailer. ???
It is the flat tow harness as per a FCA press release

"RV towing wire harness (82215382): The new harness integrates directly with the Wrangler,
eliminates
excess wires and lights and connects to the vehicle lights for turning and braking while being
towed.
MSRP: $450"

when I called MOPAR directly they told me that it would also supply power to other components like the steering - maybe he was confusing it with the other Jeep towables - I'm not sure..

I assume that it is some sort of plug-n-play harness that plugs into the ECM or something and controls everything needed without running wired to the rear of the vehicle - this is speculation of course.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:46 AM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
According to the following taken from a Wrangler brochure, the 2018's have what is called Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering

Not only did Jeep upgrade its transmission for the 2018 Wrangler JL, but designers also made steering a bit easier and more stable thanks to a new electro-hydraulic system.

Previous JK Wranglers used hydraulic power steering which, in part, helped ease steering through the transfer of hydraulic fluid by the vehicle’s speed and amount of torque applied to the wheel. However, the addition of larger tires meant more muscle was needed to steer the vehicle – especially off road.

Electro-hydraulic power steering delivers a more natural steering feel and actually improves fuel economy. The steering system’s pump draws power from an electric motor that activates when it senses driver input and applies a variable amount of torque to assist the driver while steering.

This motor works with an adaptive engine control unit to monitor steering speed, steering wheel angle and vehicle speed. This allows for variable amounts of steering assistance to be applied when more is needed at low speeds, such as when off road, or less when at highway speeds.

The JL Wrangler’s steering knuckles also face outward into the wheel envelopes which improves steering stability while braking and enhances steering input, including bump steer when going over uneven surfaces.

According to Jeep, all this will improve steering stability and overall turning radius to where the vehicle steering wheel can go from lock-to-lock in 3.5 turns for 2-door models and 3.2 turns for 4-door models.

I would think if the engine isn't running then the steering would be straight hydraulic which shouldn't require any type of external assist.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:57 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSteve View Post
Lass ... so you finally decided to take the leap of faith that the JL will not have the death wobble when towed like your GC ??

FLSteve

I’m 95% there but Its becoming a big leap of faith from the Summit to the JL. I know about the hydraulic steering change to the EHPS and now reading if a light kit is available. Certainly interesting.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:16 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
According to the following taken from a Wrangler brochure, the 2018's have what is called Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering
So is this good for RV towing or bad ... I am kind of getting lost in the difference systems.

FLSteve
Old 03-22-2018, 09:22 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSteve View Post
So is this good for RV towing or bad ... I am kind of getting lost in the difference systems.

FLSteve
After reading BOB's post I think it will be fine. With the ignition off the system should act like a normal hydraulic system I would think.

I have to believe that during the total redesign of this model they would taken flat towing ( and lesson learned from other models ) into serious consideration knowing that it is a very popular toad..

Here's mine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	File Mar 02, 1 11 48 PM.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	435.5 KB
ID:	196357  

Tags
tow, wiring