RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-20-2019, 05:32 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Suggestions on Sprinter type Toads?

Thinking a small sprinter type van with minimal camping accommodations (bed, fridge, microwave) and comfortable seating would be nice. But there are thousands out there and it’s been quite an effort searching out candidates. Ideas? Experiences?

PS: I did some digging and found a lot on towing with sprinters, but not much on towing them other than driveline stuff
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2019, 05:27 PM   #2

Here is a site for a vendor that provides kits for flat towing some MB Sprinters of earlier vintages: Store : Remco
Oregonpharme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 10:53 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonpharme View Post
Here is a site for a vendor that provides kits for flat towing some MB Sprinters of earlier vintages: Store : Remco
Thanks I need to learn a lot more about these vans, but Iíll be looking for a small one with minimal camp stuff - more of a site-seeing van.
Old 12-27-2019, 06:55 PM   #4
Decrepit Forum Advocate

You aren't thinking about towing it with the Baystar in your profile, correct?

I believe a Spinter's curb weight is well over 7,000 lbs. and that's before anything is loaded into it so I'm pretty sure that it would exceed the Baystar's towing capacity. Are you thinking of upgrading to a big diesel pusher?

You might take a look at the Ford Transit or a Ram Promaster as I believe they might be a bit lighter but still may be too much for your Baystar.

Vans nowadays are mostly RWD so the driveline may have to be disconnected or a lube pump used.

There is a thread I once read on a Sprinter online forum that discussed flat towing and they used a lube pump. Personally, I don't like lube pumps so you might consider some way to disconnect the drive shaft.

Let me know if you want to the link to the post on that Sprinter forum. It was just a short post somebody made in that thread that said both he and his dad towed Sprinters. He used a Demco towbar and his dad used a Roadmaster and both used a transmission lube pump.

Here is a thread here at iRV2 on towing a Sprinter that's over 5 years old but might give you some insight ...he's using a disconnect --the thread is an interesting read:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/flat-...an-176269.html

theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 09:10 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
No, not with the little Bay Star. This rig was a test case. Iím sold on Class A but not on a delivery truck chassis. Iím leaning towards a 450hp ISL but even at that the van idea might be a bit much. So just fact finding for now.

Tags
toad, toads