Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2021, 03:48 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Sunpass and EzPass are technically one but

So I was notified that finally my I can use just the SunPass now where the EZPass is used which makes things simpler since in the past we've used the SunPass in Florida and surrounding states and switch to EZPass heading back to NE which brings me to my next question. When using the EZPass I just added my TOAD to the MH EZPass and it calculates and charges me for the MH and Toad as one toll. I've not sure how this works using a Sunpass. I asked a similar question to SunPass Support a few years ago and their answer was each vehicle needs to have it's own SunPass on even when being towed behind the MH. IMHO that doesn't make sense since I'd have my concerns that the height of the MH would shield the SunPass on the toad windshield. I'm leaving Wednesday for NE and hoping someone has the answers thru experience.
Thxs
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2021, 04:40 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
SunPass makes no mention of needing an additional transponder on their site.

Quote:
Can I pull a boat and/or trailer when using my SunPass transponder?
Yes. You can pull a boat and/or trailer when traveling on Florida’s toll roads with a SunPass transponder, but you will need to add the trailer and tag information to your SunPass account. The tolls for additional axle(s) will be calculated and deducted from your account balance during subsequent use. Keep in mind, you are not permitted to pull a boat and/or trailer when using Florida’s Managed Lanes.
They do mention needing a different transponder out of state.

Quote:
If you plan to travel outside of Florida with a vehicle that has more than 2 axles, please contact our partner at NC Quick Pass to order a speacial 3 plus-axle transponder. The number of axles on your vehicle will determine the transponder you should purchase
Old 05-30-2021, 04:49 PM   #3

My experience

Good day coachers. Just got back from short stay in Florida. They have great camera system down there. Coach is in my name and toad in the wife's. We both got seperate bills for a travels Florida. Not sure how that will translate to other states.
jeff0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 05:04 PM   #4
D20

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I didn't realize they came out with a SunPass Pro. Looks to me like it is an Uni by a different name.

I have the old/regular SunPass portable transponder and I was just about to get an Uni transponder for travel in the NE. Now I may get a SunPass Pro since I already have a SunPass account.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 05-31-2021, 11:10 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt A View Post
SunPass makes no mention of needing an additional transponder on their site.

They do mention needing a different transponder out of state.
Yes I saw that on the site for traveling outside the state but unfortunately they're closed today so I'll wait till tomorrow. I also tried Mass EZPass but they too, are closed because of the the holiday. Nothing ever is easy I guess but it's still good if we only need one now when traveling whether with the MH or just the car back to NE.
Try again tomorrow.
Old 06-01-2021, 03:06 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I have been towing since 2003 using both Sunpass and EZpass. In both cases, I do not use two transponders when towing. I have just one transponder in the windshield of the motorhome. The toll stations count the number of axles including the toad, and bill accordingly to the RV transponder. The toad has a transponder which I use when driving it solo, but when towing it, the transponder goes in the supplied foil protective bag which shields it from being read. If not for the foil shield, the toad would be billed twice, once to the RV transponder and again on the toad transponder.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 04:02 PM   #7

I have a SunPass and did a test once (and only once). I left the transponder in the toad and had one in the motorhome. The motorhome transponder was billed for 4 axles. The toad transponder was also billed for 4 axles. I don't do that anymore.
Old 06-05-2021, 03:47 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
So finally got thru to Sunpass who told me that I need a Sunpass Pro in the MH and my Sunpass Regular Transponder on my Toad and I will get billed correctly where EZPass is used. I discussed what I've read including their own website and inputs from others. I pointed out to her that it states to call if I have 3 or more axles which is why I called in the first place. If anyone has recent experience with their MH using Sunpass Pro in NE I'd be anxious to hear the outcome I'm currently on my way up and will be using it next Wednesday the 9th as I head to North Hampton from Shartlesville, PA.. the odd thing at the end of our conversation she stated if I have problems I'll have call to get the charges corrected. I asked aren't you sure and she answered "yes, I think so" great. I've put like $300 in the Sunpass account. And I'm wondering if thats enough for both vehicles. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thxs
Old 06-05-2021, 03:57 PM   #9
D20

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post
So finally got thru to Sunpass who told me that I need a Sunpass Pro in the MH and my Sunpass Regular Transponder on my Toad and I will get billed correctly where EZPass is used. I discussed what I've read including their own website and inputs from others. I pointed out to her that it states to call if I have 3 or more axles which is why I called in the first place. If anyone has recent experience with their MH using Sunpass Pro in NE I'd be anxious to hear the outcome I'm currently on my way up and will be using it next Wednesday the 9th as I head to North Hampton from Shartlesville, PA.. the odd thing at the end of our conversation she stated if I have problems I'll have call to get the charges corrected. I asked aren't you sure and she answered "yes, I think so" great. I've put like $300 in the Sunpass account. And I'm wondering if thats enough for both vehicles. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thxs
Well that kind of makes sense since the EZPass system will not read a regular SunPass transponder. So the EZPass will count the axles and bill accordingly. The regular SunPass in the toad would only be read & billed in FL, GA, and NC. Maybe those three states do not have axle counters.
Old 06-05-2021, 05:44 PM   #10

Quote:
I don't believe that's correct. If you have the Sunpass Pro and are towing outside Florida they tell you to get the N.C. Quick Pass which you can get for however many extra axles you're towing. I have a regular Sunpass and use a MA. EZ pass for tolls in the northeast. I have a MA transponder for the MH itself (over 7,500#) and another one when pulling a toad (4 axles). I also have one for driving the toad alone. The Sunpass Pro outside FL is only good for the MH itself, I believe. I set up a $50 balance , I believe it was, and they charge one of my credit cards, when it runs low.
Old 06-06-2021, 05:56 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
I don't believe that's correct. If you have the Sunpass Pro and are towing outside Florida they tell you to get the N.C. Quick Pass which you can get for however many extra axles you're towing. I have a regular Sunpass and use a MA. EZ pass for tolls in the northeast. I have a MA transponder for the MH itself (over 7,500#) and another one when pulling a toad (4 axles). I also have one for driving the toad alone. The Sunpass Pro outside FL is only good for the MH itself, I believe. I set up a $50 balance , I believe it was, and they charge one of my credit cards, when it runs low.
I think we are saying the same thing? Up were EZPass is used, like in NY and Mass., the way she explained it to me the SunPass Pro mounted in the MH windshield is only good for the MH hence why she told me to mount the the car SunPassTransponder on the car windshield as well. It should pick up and charge each individually. We will see this coming Wednesday as I'll be heading thru NY etc. On my way to NH.
Old 06-06-2021, 08:40 AM   #12

The regular/old Sunpass will not be read by the EZ pass toll readers. Florida states on their website, if you are towing anything outside Florida, with the new Sunpass Pro, you need to get another transponder, available from N.C.(or other EZ Pass states actually) that is set up for your MH and the number of axles you're towing. If you're towing a singe axle,(boat trlr/whatever) or 2 axles,(toad/whatever) that would be 2 different transponders.

I wouldn't put that much faith into something I was told by someone at Sunpass. I got my (first) 2 EZ Pass transponders by physically going to an EZ pass office in Boston. I told the guy what I wanted/needed. An EZ Pass for my MH and for towing an SUV and one for the SUV by itself. He was confused and had to talk to a supervisor. I ended up leaving with 2 transponders. It wasn't until after I got home to FL, that I somehow found out they had sold me one wrong transponder. They should have sold me a transponder for the over 7,500# MH by itself and another one for the MH pulling the toad along with the one correct one they sold for the SUV by itself. I now have 4 EZ Pass transponders, one more than what I needed.
Old 06-07-2021, 07:06 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
The regular/old Sunpass will not be read by the EZ pass toll readers. Florida states on their website, if you are towing anything outside Florida, with the new Sunpass Pro, you need to get another transponder, available from N.C.(or other EZ Pass states actually) that is set up for your MH and the number of axles you're towing. If you're towing a singe axle,(boat trlr/whatever) or 2 axles,(toad/whatever) that would be 2 different transponders.

I wouldn't put that much faith into something I was told by someone at Sunpass. I got my (first) 2 EZ Pass transponders by physically going to an EZ pass office in Boston. I told the guy what I wanted/needed. An EZ Pass for my MH and for towing an SUV and one for the SUV by itself. He was confused and had to talk to a supervisor. I ended up leaving with 2 transponders. It wasn't until after I got home to FL, that I somehow found out they had sold me one wrong transponder. They should have sold me a transponder for the over 7,500# MH by itself and another one for the MH pulling the toad along with the one correct one they sold for the SUV by itself. I now have 4 EZ Pass transponders, one more than what I needed.
Well I do have an EZPass transponder for just my toad. Now you have me thinking perhaps I should leave the SunPass Pro on the MH but take off the car's Sunpass Transponder and put the EZPass Transponder on the toad! I'm wondering if it will work and pick up both separately and charge accordingly 🤔
Old 06-07-2021, 10:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Well I do have an EZPass transponder for just my toad. Now you have me thinking perhaps I should leave the SunPass Pro on the MH but take off the car's Sunpass Transponder and put the EZPass Transponder on the toad! I'm wondering if it will work and pick up both separately and charge accordingly ��

I think it depends on which state your EZ Pass is from. In MA they issue a transponder for motorhomes over 7,500#,which is programmed differently than
a regular 2 axle transponder. You also need other transponders for the MH for 2,3,4 axles. Other states might work differently.

It's possible if you put the SunPass Pro in the MH and your EZ Pass in the toad, that you will be charged for the MH pulling the toad and charged for the toad.