Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2020, 08:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanrascal View Post
Just measured mine with the calipers. 2 1/2 inches O.C. on my American. I think I remember ordering them from etrailer for less than $40 each. No problem finding them
Whoa that's great news! I am out using it with no brakes for now but will dig in when I get home. Thanks!
Striider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2020, 06:41 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Before you do anything I urge you to call or go visit Gary and at American Car Dolly (970-380-3305) ask for the spec on the brake he uses. This will make things so much easier for you. I think he does sell the parts and may be able to give you a great price on the set up. Or once you have the specific part specs you could likely pick up or order the brake sets up at a a local part store.

I suspect the price is far higher now than the $40 a piece I bought mine for a few years back-- and I didn't include the drums when I replaced mine.

The make I bought was Axle Technology but I can't find a model number on the outside on whats visible. Just a reminder when buying, buy separate left and right brakes (not 2 left or 2 right) assemblies as they are setup up for the different orientations.

Gary offers a controller system that either goes on the dolly, or you can wire it up to the tow vehicle. I started with Gary's American system on the dolly for 5 years then recently swapped over to the CURT ECHO controller system. Not sure which one I like better.

I saw on your profile you are in Colorado? If that's correct I think American is about 1 1/2 hours away in Ft Morgan. Might be worth a run up there to check it all out?
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 07:49 AM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Once you have determined the axle on your tow dolly you can buy complete kits from Amazon. Check it out here: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=trailer+b...f=nb_sb_noss_2

Better yet contact: https://www.southwestwheel.com/c-124...rake-kits.aspx. They can probably help you decide the kit you need.

It looks like you need to know the diameter of the spindle inner and outer bearing surface, the brake backing plate bolt pattern and the wheel bolt pattern. Installation look fairly easy. It might be harder to install the brake controller in the tow vehicle.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:59 AM   #18

If your only an hour an a half from American Car Dolly I'd call Gary an ask if you can just tow it to his shop and let him look at it.
Wrapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 04:21 AM   #19

My tentative plan is to call Gary when I get home to find out my options and take the trailer to him if needed, as he is only a few hours away. I have seen many kits available out there starting around $150 and up, but haven't ordered one due to this mounting bolt spacing question. I did not bring my calipers with me on this trip, so measuring the bearing surfaces will have to wait as well. Thanks for all the help thus far, will update in a month or more when I get back on the project.
Striider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 11:19 AM   #20

If you haven't decided on a brake controller yet I highly recommend you get a proportional versus a time delay controller like the one Gary sells. They have numerous advantages over the cheaper time delay models which are not readily apparent such as adjusting braking power or even turning them off while driving. One thing you don't want to happen is for your dolly brakes to lock up on a wet road. It and your toad may try to pass you.
I am very satisfied with my Tekonsha Prodigy P3 controller on my ACD.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly