Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2019, 10:51 AM   #1

Supplemental brake

I tow a 2019 Chevy Equinox.
My supplemental brake comes with a

transmitter that sends a signal to a receiver in the motor home, to let you

know when the brake is applied.
On my Saturn I wired the transmitter
to the brake light switch on the brake pedal. I can't get to in on the equinox.
Has anyone solved this problem? Where can I hook the wire for the transmitter

so it will send the signal when the brakes are applied?
Thank You
REDR
REDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2019, 12:45 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How about the taillight, if you using diodes, or seperate bulb?
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 01:17 PM   #3

Does the Equinox have a trailer hitch? I plug my transmitter into my toad's trailer light connector. Or can you add a second switch on the brake pedal?
johninsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:29 PM   #4

It depends on the brake system you installed in the toad. I have the Stay And Play Duo and like you i can't get to the brake light switch in the Mini, no room, so they have an alternate wiring solution in the manual. I used the wire from the hitch plug that is connected to the electric brake harness, no electric brake controller installed in the MH, to power a red light on my dash, and it works great.
Kudo's to Entegra by the way, i could not find the harness at the dash, so i contacted them and next morning an e mail with a picture of what it looked like and where to find it. Perfect.

Chris
Chris Hayes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:03 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Read #40 http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/2019-...-441844-3.html

If you do snag the wire off the brake switch, it might be electrically dead after a period of time; which then requires a second switch.

If you can't mount a bracket and a mechanical switch, you might be able to get a magnetic/reed switch mounted (something similar to a door alarm switch). Better than nothing, since if that pedal is down and the MH brakes are not on, you wouldn't know it until you saw the smoke...

I like the idea of knowing that the braking system is on when the MH brakes are applied and that the toad pedal is either down or not...covers the most common possible failure modes.

I used the red LED strip to indicate the brake pedal position and added a yellow LED strip (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) to indicate the braking system is operating the brakes.

Oh yeah, call the manufacturer of your braking system...I called eTrailer.com first, they gave me the wrong part number, albeit there were supposedly 5 different brackets identified as a fit for my vehicle...they got that wrong. The manufacturer got me the right part number.

ron
rmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:29 PM   #6

It would help if we knew which braking system you have
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake