Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:10 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Supplemental brake systems

We find ourselves looking for a supplemental braking system that will work well in a 2017 Jeep Wrangler 4 door, without breaking the bank - so, here's your chance to boast about what you use, and why; or to warn us which ones to stay away from!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2019, 04:16 AM   #2

I have been pleased with Ready Brake. Simple, easy quick hook, up and works well
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
I have been pleased with Ready Brake. Simple, easy quick hook, up and works well
This one. No need to provide power to the Jeep while towing. You don’t want a bulky portable one that you have to put in and take out all the time. Had one hated it.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:40 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It looks like with the Ready Brake one needs to purchase the Ready Stop separately for breakaway protection. That means there will be 2 cable assemblies going through the firewall. I've only had a quick glance at the engine compartment of the Jeep, but I didn't see a lot of open space in there - how hard is it to install the units, and route the cables through that tight space?
Old 09-07-2019, 12:49 PM   #5
jrs

I installed ours myself (also the baseplate and roadmaster brake light wiring). Need to be somewhat handy and there are videos (Wrangler specific might be on Youtube). eTrailer.com had an excellent video on putting the baseplate and brake wiring on a Grand Cherokee.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:20 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the responses everyone - it looks like we're going to go with the Ready Brute RB-9050, and the Ready Stop Breakaway system. Now I have to decide if I want to install it myself, or ask my local hitch place to do the install. Those of you who have done it yourself - are there any "gotchas" that I need to be aware of? I've been reading a lot of reviews and it seems that getting the cable set properly is problematic - is it really that difficult to get it right?
Old 09-08-2019, 04:34 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I use the bulky portable Brake Buddy II and it really isn't any big deal to take it in and out for me. I just store it in the back of our Equinox with the box containing the safety cables and stuff. I can be hooked and ready to go or unhooked and ready to drive in less than 5 minutes.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
Thanks for the responses everyone - it looks like we're going to go with the Ready Brute RB-9050, and the Ready Stop Breakaway system. Now I have to decide if I want to install it myself, or ask my local hitch place to do the install. Those of you who have done it yourself - are there any "gotchas" that I need to be aware of? I've been reading a lot of reviews and it seems that getting the cable set properly is problematic - is it really that difficult to get it right?
Nope. Iím not mechanically inclined and installed the Ready brake components in the Jeep in about an hour. There is gobs of room in the engine area for the thin cable and conduit. If you donít already have the baseplate, get whomever installs it to do it. Itís far easier if done at the same time

Old 09-08-2019, 04:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
From what I've seen, the Wrangler is relatively straight-forward compared to many other vehicles, like my Honda Odyssey. If you do it yourself, you will understand it well and will be sure it's been done properly. If you do go the shop route, make sure the price is fair and they're experienced. Call Ready Brake and find out if they have any "Dealer/Installer"s in your area.

I installed the Ready Brake on my Honda Odyssey and called Ready Brake to get some specifics. Their installation technician spent about 10 min on the phone with me and was a great help.

Ready Brake has a video on here on how to route the cable on a 2009 Wrangler, which is the hardest part of the install:

https://www.readybrake.com/videos.html

Here are some other videos:

https://www.google.com/search?q=read...w=1164&bih=543

Whatever you do, make sure the Ready Stop unit (red box) is mounted in an easily accessible spot so you can easily re-set it in case its cable is pulled by accident or by a curious individual. I discovered this after pulling it to see if it would work OK. There is a nylon lock screw but, just to be safe, after I re-set mine, I used a plastic cable tie to secure the cable eye against such an event. In the case of an emergency, the cable tie would break.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:09 PM   #10

I’m trying to figure out why the Ready Stop is so cumbersome and needs its own cable to the brake pedal. Why not just have a second cable attached to the mh frame ( if you think the receiver / tow bar is going to fail ) and hook it to the same connector on the tow car? One cable to the towed brake pedal.

Old 09-08-2019, 07:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Iím trying to figure out why the Ready Stop is so cumbersome and needs its own cable to the brake pedal. Why not just have a second cable attached to the mh frame ( if you think the receiver / tow bar is going to fail ) and hook it to the same connector on the tow car? One cable to the towed brake pedal.
Well the Ready Stop has to go through a "Pull and Grab" type mechanism so the brakes don't release as soon as the tension is removed from the cable attached to the motorhome.

The little red box on the ready stop is a one way device that allows the cable to be pulled to actuate the brake pedal but doesn't release unless you hit the release mechanism on the red box.

It's very important that the cable from the red box to the coach be the correct length and routed correctly or you could accidentally tug on the ready stop cable when you don't want to.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:18 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Okay Iíll be different. We really like our Demco Stay and Play Duo. This is our second toad with this system. Two things I really like; when I hook the umbilical for the lights the brakes are ready to go, and I like it activates your power brakes.

Btw, it does require a charge lead, only uses power when the brakes are applied. We have never run down the battery......hope you arenít braking that much

Steve
Old 09-09-2019, 09:23 AM   #13

I forgot to mention that the indicator light circuit that comes with the Ready Brake shouldn't be considered as optional. It's not difficult to install but does require stringing a wire from the MH's dash to the hitch.

I've read several posts where it wasn't installed and damage occurred due to the brakes being activated due to a faulty installation (usually too tight of a cable) causing brake damage. The indicator light will tell you not only when the system is working properly but also when it is not.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:24 PM   #14

I've installed NSA ReadyBrute Elite on two Jeep Wranglers.

A lifted 2006 TJ using the D-Ring holes on an aftermarket bumper.
A stock 2015 JK (2-Door) using the Currie Baseplate.
Both had the Ready Stop as well.

Install was very easy on both, the cables route along the drivers side chassis rail, both holes were drilled from inside and sealed with RTV.

The brake cable is sheathed and can bend somewhat, it follows the chassis rail until near the front of the jeep, then does a lazy S-Bend and exits through a hole I drilled in the middle of the baseplate.

The breakaway cable isn't sheathed and runs directly to the front, I fastened the red box to the chassis rail behind the bumper. I figure the breakaway really is a last resort and I'm not worried about it damaging any bodywork if it ever does get pulled.

I'd say an easy install as long as you can contort your body into the drivers side footwell

Steve

Tags
brake, ems