Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2015, 09:04 PM   #1

Supplemental brakes - ugh

Got my CRV, like the Blue Ox towbar. was going order baseplate and install it myself. Etrailer has a great video showing the installation on a CRV. But the choices in supplemental brake systems are giving me fits. Brake buddy, Patriot, Air Force 1. I kind of like the Patriot system. Seems like the most unobtrusive installation. I've read several posts from people stating Patriots ended up fryong thier brake systems, but lots of others swear by the system.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2015, 01:29 AM   #2

RVibrake2 Auxiliary Braking System is the most advanced and easiest to use braking system for flat towing a car behind a motorhome.
Old 10-17-2015, 05:31 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
RVibrake2 Auxiliary Braking System is the most advanced and easiest to use braking system for flat towing a car behind a motorhome.
+ 1
RCG604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 05:31 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Best day ever was when I got the Airforce 1 installed - works great even in panic stops and hookup is extremely easy

If you have a diesel pusher this is the only way to go - nothing to place on the floor of the tow car
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rream View Post
Best day ever was when I got the Airforce 1 installed - works great even in panic stops and hookup is extremely easy

If you have a diesel pusher this is the only way to go - nothing to place on the floor of the tow car
Same thing here except I used the M&G Engineering system instead of AirForce 1 for our CRV.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 07:52 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
ARRGGHH

One person's "Best" system is not necessarily another's.

I like my AF One. Nothing to put on the toad floor, nothing to put away, proportional braking and fairly easy (one time) installation. I can unhook the toad and drive it away. That is what I found best for ME.

I ruled out floor units like the one previously mentioned because I didn't want to mess around with setting it up and removing it. As a full timer with a significant amount of towing set ups and tear downs it wasn't my idea of practicable. I also didn't want to deal with storage of the unit when not in use. That is why I ruled them out for ME.

AFO has a great reputation and support system. I'm certain other systems have just as good reputation and support.

I was a tad concerned about some systems that use inertia. While I can't say they are bad my concern was with inertia systems activating toad brakes in slightly different sequences compared to what I would want. I could have over estimated that potential so I won't argue the merits of that concern that was a factor to ME.

I didn't want a system that relied on the toad's battery or a charge line. The only thing AFO uses is 12V to activate the break away feature. Again...that was a factor for ME because I didn't want to HAVE to run a charge line.

Now...If I was not one of those that does a lot of hook ups a year and/or I had multiple vehicles I might have found units like the RVibrake2 Auxiliary Braking System advantageous. From the looks of it, that system seems feature packed but the price seems very high when compared to my set up. Even if you factor in the labor cost I had to install the MH unit and my time and effort self installing the toad side of it, I would say on price alone the Air Force One is extremely price competitive.

So...I've told you why *I* chose AFO but you might find other systems with the price and features that meet your needs. To be honest, for ME it was a no-brainer.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:29 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I know people who have been motorhoming for 30+ years with no supplimental braking system, but I got a brake buddy anyway. It'll look good at the crash scene.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:11 AM   #8

Sky Boss makes very good points about decision making. Two years ago I read lots of posts on here, looked at lots of systems-most seem like they will work, and then considered cost/convenience trade-offs. If I had a DP I probably would of gone with an air brake, but my Winnie Gasser and cost considerations caused me to go with a Brake Buddy off of eBay.
We do full time, more or less, but only tow for a day or two every week or two, at most. Sometimes tow for 3 or 4 days and then a month or two sitting. So hook-up and unhook comes about 15 times a year, maybe. It takes about 5 minutes to install a Brake Buddy, and about 2 to remove it. DW has it down pat. This is what works for us.
I use the aux brake at a setting so it comes on only when I really need it, at fairly hard brake action. Check it each hook-up and every morning with a hard brake or two, inertial system seems to work fine. It is insurance, not a driving necessity.
It does pull about 15 amps when running, so will drain a battery fairly quickly and should have its own socket. Conveniently our Subaru has a 20 amp socket between the seats. It did require a separate charge line added then we wired up the lights on the toad.
All these things are trade-offs, as a new RV'r you may not be sure how your lifestyle will be yet, how much trouble things are, etc. I had our RV for about 2 months before getting to the TOAD stage, and walked around parks and gas stops taking to guys to see what they had, what they liked, and finally deciding what I would like. Opinions are like a$$holes, everybody has them, and ads are written to sell things, so a grain of salt is advised there too. Good fortune on your travels, and welcome.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:26 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree with Don as well, prompting me to get the AF1. A collateral advantage is that it unhooks so easily that having to uncouple the toad, move the MH and recouple it is not even worth considering. No concerns ever about not being able to back up. It just takes a minute or 2 for the entire process.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:29 AM   #10

I use the Blue Ox Patroit. Bought it used (used twice!!) for 400 bucks. Works good and its easy to install. I use it on multiple toads. Can't beat it!
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:17 AM   #11

I have the AFO but the mfgr really does not matter - get what you like. However, check the highway laws! All states and Canada require supplemental braking for anything towed over 1500 pounds. Not having a unit may cause your insurance provider a problem if you have an accident.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 11:09 AM   #12

Supplemental brakes - ugh

BrakeBuddy. 15 years and counting.
Simple. Effective. Economical. Long lasting.
It sits on the floor. I have the extra 15 seconds to install it.
I made a choice, and it's still going!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 11:21 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
I started with a Patriot, used it for a couple of years and was dissatisfied with the hassle of use, and the very slow speed of the brake depress. I never felt like it would be helpful in a panic stop or breakaway. It was certainly better than nothing, but when I upgraded to a DP with air brakes, I had the M&G installed. It has all the advantages/features of the Air Force 1 described above, and the AF1 is the only other one I would consider. I went with M&G for reasons of engineering simplicity, but really, either the M&G or AF1 are awesome systems.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 11:35 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a patriot and it is a good system but the battery in the unit that sits on the floor keeps dying and when that dies the toad battery dies shortly thereafter. I have charged the battery many times but it dies almost every time I use it.
bobf46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes