Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2020, 06:45 PM   #71
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money Man View Post
That’s for the version 2 of the M&G which is for those without coach air brakes.
Are you sure?

16. Connect to air source or RV to test towed vehicle brake application. Apply air and watch towed vehicle brake pedal depress. Vacuum pump will cycle after each brake application.

It looks like v2.0 also requires a DP's air brakes but works more like other systems and does not require separating the master cylinder from the brake booster.

Their towed vehicle compatibility chart lists which M&G system is required for which car. My 2020 Equinox requires the v2.0 system. The 2018 and later Jeep Wrangler JL's also require the v2.0 system.

https://m-gengineering.com/compatibility-list/

But I've never used the M&G system so I'm not positive.

Ray
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2020, 07:02 PM   #72

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
I've had an M&G System on all of our toads; first with a gas model without air brakes, and then on a diesel pusher with air brakes. They are great to work with and the hook up is easy. just connect the air line.
M&G Braking-Roadmaster Towbar
mbrooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 07:08 PM   #73

Tiffin Owners Club
I got an invisible brake on one toad and Airfoce on the other.
Both work well for me.
Wnevels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 07:15 PM   #74
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrooking View Post
I've had an M&G System on all of our toads; first with a gas model without air brakes...
M&G Car Braking System for coaches with HYDRAULIC BRAKES
For motor coaches with this type braking system, an air cylinder is mounted between the master cylinder and vacuum booster on the towed vehicle. A 12-volt air compressor, an air accumulator tank and a proportioning valve are mounted in the coach. These units are in the power pack, and are mounted externally on the frame of the coach. One air line connects the motor coach and the towed vehicle using a quick disconnect.

Interesting. I wonder how they control the braking effort. Do they tap into the motorhome's hydraulic brakes so they can sense how high the hydraulic pressure is? If so, that would give me some pause.

Ray
Old 10-11-2020, 10:36 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
<snip>
I wonder how they control the braking effort. Do they tap into the motorhome's hydraulic brakes so they can sense how high the hydraulic pressure is? If so, that would give me some pause.

Ray
Yup.
That's one reason I don't want to use that type of system. Sure, if properly installed there probably won't be any issues. But, it adds one more point of failure to your coach's braking system.

Kevin
Kevin_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:37 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Are you sure?
I wouldn’t bet my life, it’s just my understanding.

I’ve had 2 version 1’s and neither required drilling any holes in my CR-Vs.
Money Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:19 AM   #77

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rvi3 brake for us! Works great. Get the battery charger and direct line 12 volt to brake they sell for toad also! So easy and the smallest. We use it in our Honda Fit and love it.
Lez8ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 05:46 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excursion04 View Post
We started with brake buddy on Honda CRV., bad news! Set the pressure setting according to their manual (for CRV weight class) constant brake over heat, contacted their tech support and was told CRV setting is little different for CRV. Plus too many steps to setup.
Switched to M& G engineering brake system. You may need help for initial installation, but after that easy setup. Works off of your coach’s air/brake system,. Have had it for last 5 years , very happy with it
We have a BB on a CR-V and the brakes are not overheating in the slightest.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:46 PM   #79

Auxillary braking system

I use the Invisi brake system. Works well. Stays installed all the time. Main box mounts under drivers seat (tj jeep) completely out of the way. NO WHERE NEAR the 1500 to 2000 bucks you said you had in the other unit. It took me 2 hours to install this unit myself, with my Grandson helping. Just my 2 cents worth. MOMCAT
momcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 05:51 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by momcat View Post
I use the Invisi brake system. Works well. Stays installed all the time. Main box mounts under drivers seat (tj jeep) completely out of the way. NO WHERE NEAR the 1500 to 2000 bucks you said you had in the other unit. It took me 2 hours to install this unit myself, with my Grandson helping. Just my 2 cents worth. MOMCAT
Not sure what system you are referring to, but I spent a total of $820, including the breakaway cylinder, for my M&G Engineering system. Like you, mine is self installed.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:31 PM   #81

BigD9

I am referring to post #1. Also...I am not knocking anyone elses unit. AGAIN... I just tried to answer the # 1 post. I read from the front to back. MOMCAT
momcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:57 AM   #82

does a four down towing need a braking system
alan tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 11:55 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan tek View Post
Just as much as a trailer or car/dolly combo needs them, yes.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 05:41 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan tek View Post
If by need, you mean required by law it depends. In at least some states, motorized vehicles are not considered trailers and thus are not required to have braking irrespective of weight.
In most states there are weight limits on trailers for whether or not brakes are required by law.
If by need, you mean want. Want is subjective.
The laws of physics always apply. The heavier your loaded rv plus toad, the longer your stopping distance. The faster you drive the longer your stopping distance. The slower your response time the longer your stopping distance.
I also think the relative weight differential of your rv to toad matters in decision making.
My observations over 20 years of rving is that in practice there are a fair number that pull toads that have no toad brakes. Skewed to lighter weight toads for the reasons I mentioned above.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, toad, toads